Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 825826827828829 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 7:53pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one HY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 9:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fishing for you lately Dave, impressed with that big snap few posts ago, would up trace but hear you on getting more bites on lures with lighter flouro.
Looking forward to getting out myself soon and scoring few gurnards and odd big snapper hopefully… or maybe a JD. Having covid slowed me down last few weeks but I am very keen to get back into it.
 Cheers Shane
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 9:21am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Getting out again when the wind drops will be a tonic Shane. Complete with waders, little Alvey and chunks of skippy, you are a finely tuned harvesting machine, the poor gurnard's legs are trembling at the thought.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 1:03pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm looking forward to a gurnard sesh... water might still be too warm though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 5:40pm
Gold
Gold

I went gurnard fishing this morning, I had my gurnard rigs and gurnard bait, and I went to my gurnard spot, the water was very clear and around 14.5c, but after two hours I didn't get  a single bite, just cold feet! So I returned to my usual caper and caught some snaps drifting around with a yellow coin drop, they were all between 34-38cm, 2kg filleted, so not sport fishing but good eating...almost as good as catching gurnard.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 4:51pm
Gold
Gold

I planned to go straight out 6kms from Campbells Bay today, as I've  wanted to fish the other side of the no anchoring zone for a while, but the visibility and swell were not conducive  for a long trip, so I paddled for 20mins and dropped my coin drop instead. 
I got a keeper first up then another, which I decided to release, but no favour goes unpunished, the little blighter spiked me under my finger nail, so I had that and cold feet to think about for the next few hours.  I did catch some snapps though, for a couple of local pensioners up the road, and a kahawai for sashimi, it's my favorite. There were no gurnard, but there were no jet skiers either, bring on winter:)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 5:40pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

<span style="font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">I planned to go straight out 6kms from Campbells Bay today, as I've  wanted to fish the other side of the no anchoring zone for a while, but the visibility and swell were not conducive  for a long trip, so I paddled for 20mins and dropped my coin drop instead. </span><div dir="ltr" -setdir="false" style="font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">I got a keeper first up then another, which I decided to release, but no favour goes unpunished, the little blighter spiked me under my finger nail, so I had that and cold feet to think about for the next few hours.  I did catch some snapps though, for a couple of local pensioners up the road, and a kahawai for sashimi, it's my favorite. There were no gurnard, but there were no jet skiers either, bring on winter:)
<div dir="ltr" -setdir="false" style="font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">

Do you like the coin drop better then the normal type slider.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 6:30pm
Gold
Gold

I have a range of sliders Kandrew, but the yellow coin drop and skirt are doing the job for me this week, the fish will hardly touch my soft baits but they're all over my coin drop. I enjoy casting soft baits more than jiggling coin drops, soft baiting  with really light gear feels like angling, but the fish know best, so a yellow coin drop it is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 6:38pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

I have a range of sliders Kandrew, but the yellow coin drop and skirt are doing the job for me this week, the fish will hardly touch my soft baits but they're all over my coin drop. I enjoy casting soft baits more than jiggling coin drops, soft baiting  with really light gear feels like angling, but the fish know best, so a yellow coin drop it is.
Coin drops have a lot of action on the way down, could be what the fish need at the mo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 6:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish again Dave , well done.
I’m still summoning the energy to get out. Sunday wasn’t bad to be honest. Brother got out but considerably less successfully than you result wise. Is fishing too close to shore … could of cast my surfcaster to where saw him fishing.  He seems to be fishing within swimming distance of shore since had his capsize. Would do better down off kenedy park if wanting to fish that close. Once we get some better weather I will take him bit further, actually quite a lot further out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:54pm
Gold
Gold

Shane, does your brother know techniques for righting his kayak and getting back on out at sea? I would expect he does, but if not there is a lot of material on youtube with the basics. Doing the routines out at sea, but without fishing rods could be helpful for him? It's pretty easy to do in an Ocean Kayak, I don't know about his Viking though.
 As for knowing where the fish are, you can help him there:). I did find them in close  during March and April but I'm paddling a little further to make their acquaintance now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 9:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Dave, he looked up all that and even been down and practised re- entry and has even bought some flippers to put on and help to get back on. Somewhat overkill but is a Viking… near impossible to tip, not so easy to right maybe. But he is a bit overkill, but hey is my brother so his safety is everything for me.
I could or would usually make some comment about Ok paddlers being better than Viking guys…but entirely inappropriate in circumstances. Muppet would fry me if still on here.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 9:34am
Gold
Gold

I've wanted to fish the other side of the no anchoring zone in the middle of the harbour for a while, so yesterday I paddled over, but as Kerry Packer said after dying on the operating table, I've been to the other  side...and let me tell you, there's nothing f**king there. 
 I don't know how to fish the area, but I'll be back again when the weather settles down, soft baiting close in around the northern end of Rangi should be fun.
My yak trip back was quicker than my trip out, the swell picked up with the easterly wind change yesterday afternoon, it got big for a while, so I was surfing much of the way back in.
I stopped for a bit of soft baiting close to shore before I went in, and picked up a gurnard and a couple of snapps with a New Penny curly tail.
I then packed my rods down and put everything away, expecting to turtle in the surf, but I had a good day and aced it like an expert:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 3:30pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Yeah Dave, he looked up all that and even been down and practised re- entry and has even bought some flippers to put on and help to get back on. Somewhat overkill but is a Viking… near impossible to tip, not so easy to right maybe. But he is a bit overkill, but hey is my brother so his safety is everything for me.

I have two elder brothers took care me, but I was a bastard teen back then. I hope I didn't ever hurt them. They still ask me if I need money, even they live in a less blessed country.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 8:52pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

I could or would usually make some comment about Ok paddlers being better than Viking guys…but entirely inappropriate in circumstances. Muppet would fry me if still on here.
For people who have trouble with reentry Ive been told a valcro strap from bunnings is the go. 
You thread it through one side handle and make a loop at the other end for your foot - like a stirrup. 
You can then stand up into the stirrup and climb in. 
the velcro straps are really wide and solidly made.

I had a fish a couple of weeks ago just north of Orewa. 
was targeting gurnard on bait and burley, All i got was snapper. 
I gave up on that and just SB for the rest of the morning and ended with 1 gurnard, 7 snapper and 5 kahawai. 
I was throwing back mid 30 snapper while trying to catch gurnard. water was 17.9 degrees, probably still to warm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 10:40pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

HY, shaneg, thanks for the fishing reports. I normally fish Narrow Neck rock or Rangitoto lighthouse, but struggling to find fish. Sometime sounder gave lots of signals, but soft baits, micro jig or sliders were not touched. Fishing hours without bites was no fun:( Only up side is the nice water view. Recently I learnt that slack current slow or shut off fish, is that the case?
Hope one day can meet you on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 11:36am
Gold
Gold

Good tip about the velcro strap from Bunnings Bullet, I use a large one to drag my yak on its C Tug, it's great for the hills, perhaps now I'll store it where I could get to it if I was in a tight spot.
                 As for some advice for Chee...I've been fishing regularly for just two years, I fished as a kid and loved it but took a break for 40 years...so I'm still a beginner who's mad keen, which might explain my inordinate pride in catching little snapps and taking pictures of them:).
Shane knows a great deal about fishing, as do a lot of folks on this forum, I've picked up some good pointers,I defer to them. 
Now I just do what works, I don't know all of the techniques, or what it's like to be a fish, but I  do what works in my patch, regardless of a slack tide, or it being too sunny, the moon phase wrong  etc.
 I'd say try everything, things are hidden until we open them up, we've got to find what works for us.
I'm going out tomorrow morning, yellow coin drops are working for me at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 7:58pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Long time no post thought people would be sick of the same tr over and over, then I realized how excited I get reading any tr regardless of size of boat or fish..... anyways same old tricks at OP autumn was probably my quietest season in years as far as getting on the water. A dose of covid and bad weather kept me off the water for 5 weeks at one stage. But when I did get out the fish were there and in great numbers.
Managed a trip out last weekend and another this morning with much the same results 4 to 5 snaps between 35 - 50cm. I do love the winter though, later starts and a lot less traffic on the water.
Photos from last 2 weeks . 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 7:59pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 8:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish Hopkins.
I took boat for quick run this arvo as hasn’t been used in months. Fished area hard yakka and I frequent. Got couple of legal snaps  and only one nice gurnard on piece of straylined skippy but nothing but smallish snapper on the 2 hook mustard demon recurve rig I favour for gurnard.  Looks like could be late gurnard season Dave.
Page  <1 825826827828829 849>