Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 822823824825826 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 8:54pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice snaps Dave, good to see you got a few kahawai today as well. Tanya said you just walked past, so was bit late yelling out when you were walking past.
I went for swim round 3pm . Still looked great out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 10:00am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went for a walk at Mairangi bay this morning, some work ups in close. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 6:00pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was out there fishing in a big red yak:)
I caught a lot of big Kahawai and small snaps today, and I was busted off twice. After casting my soft bait the line looped around a guide on the rod, and as I was unlooping it a fish struck, perhaps a big Kahawai? The force broke the small guide then the 6kg line snapped, but I had a back up rod for this very situation, I was right in the middle of a very turbulent boil up, so I casted my metal lure tied to 25lb leader and 20lb braid, a fish struck the lure immediately and then it was off, the blighter broke off the hook on my ocean angler tungsten lure. 
It was time for me to chill, tie a new soft bait rig and replace the metal lure, the fishes and the birds left me to it as they went to the other side of the bay.
I only took a few fish today, the John Dore–what a pleasure to fillet, a snap and a kahawai for sashimi.
I got the JD on soft bait, I noticed a big school of anchovies under my yak, so I just let the soft bait drop to the bottom under the yak, and behold my JD arrived for dinner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 8:59pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

YUM - next time you get a John Dory, instead of filleting, try removing the head and guts, deeply slashing it 3 times on each side, rub butter and spices into the cuts and cook on a hot BBQ plate. You can eat the skin, no noticeable scales.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 10:30pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Hunting and Fishing, boys at constellation are pretty good and know their stuff, career  tackle guys. And are sending shimanos straight to Shimano. I’d get it serviced. Drags easy to get at, should be easy to sort

Cheers Shane, I dropped it off on Wednesday afternoon - eta is a month - busy time. Will catch up on some chores around the house, and read all the autumn posts.....you guys are fun with those catches over the last couple of days. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 1:22pm
Gold
Gold

A good tip Telecaster, I like fire, and the taste of bbq, but have something of a gift for setting fire to food, so putting the whole fish on a bbq  hot plate sounds good.The JD I got was fried skin on in butter and was a tasty change from the snaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 4:55pm
Gold
Gold

I was fishing close to shore this morning while the tide was in, I got snagged a couple of times in the rough but still had  a good session.
 I haven't used my Bixpy for the last month as my battery recharger has packed out and I can't get a replacement, I like paddling, but the Bixpy is awesome for manoeuvring when you get a mad kahawai or a big fish and you want to change direction or head into the wind etc, so I miss it a bit, but I still catch fish. The Bixpy adds to the fun of kayak fishing I think, it doesn't detract from it.
I got all the snaps on a Zman with a 1/4oz weight and a 3 hook, the biggest one weighed 6 1/2 pound:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 5:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice snap Dave. Brother was out Saturday (maiden voyage in wife’s yak we sold him) got some respectable eating size snaps. Reckons saw few decent kings in work ups and bait schools. Unfortunately I was away this weekend in boat, using lots of petrol. Bit too tired to go out when got home from up North although tempting, as saw good workup going on not far out this arvo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 6:21pm
Gold
Gold

Friday looks like it might be another good day for the yak Shane.
 The work ups were epic today, had I my Bixpy I'd have been more able to keep up with them, as you well know it's hard to think like a kahawai and a seagull in a yak, and perhaps hazardous when you can:), I can't find any pattern to predict their movement, but I never saw kingies on the surface anyway, interesting that your brother was able to spot them, I know they're there but I'm probably half blind, still this is a sweet time to be fishing our patch. Bummer about the price of gas, boaties will be buying yaks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 6:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

I still haven't fixed my kayak but went out for a local straylining session on a mates boat on Sunday evening, and landed a nice snap just after dark using a whole belly/gills/pec fin of a big kahawai as bait. Fish went 68CM and very fat, tall and broad thru the head.

I'd usually release them at that size but it was bleeding a fair bit from the gills so I'd rather it got eaten by humans than a shark!

Was nice to get a big one for a change, haven't had anything over about 8lb since spring.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 6:23pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beaut fish Patrick. Well done, great you got on to a real nice one. Big bait big fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 7:51pm
Gold
Gold

Nice fish Telecaster, and a good advert for big baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 5:03pm
Gold
Gold

A few  snaps for dinner tonight, being Friday it'll keep the pope happy too.
There were still a few boil ups today, but I don't know what they were, Mac's perhaps, they didn't take my soft baits. I think the big schools of anchovies have passed, but there were still a few fish about, and when the wind dropped it was a pleasure to be drifting around  flicking soft baits at them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 11:29am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice morning out there Dave, hardly much wind but still little lumpy. Got couple of legal snaps for feed. Dropped one nice one which pulled hook under yak. Might of actually been decent Trev. And also had big run which broke me off on braid. More than likely a shark. Had seen a small hammerhead swimming around, but this was definitely bigger one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 3:10pm
Gold
Gold

Good to see you out there Shane, and your little brother and Cosmo too.
I had some fun with big kahawai today, but they won, one, two three in a row out played me with their jumping and head shakes,  the last one just snapped me off. I got a lot of paddling in, but the fishing did fire up off Kennedy's  after 12:00. I caught plenty but only kept a few to feed my older brother 'The Shark' and his lovely wife the Dolphin, who prefers it raw. The biggest one today was 43cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 8:11am
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work lads! I ate the last of my fish on Friday night so almost time to get some more, still lots of kahawai workups all along the northern beaches of the HBC with reports of reasonable pannie snapper underneath and a few kings about. I have taken the 4 days after Easter off so I have no excuse not to get the kayak leak sorted and give it a good cut and polish. It is looking pretty sad at the moment.

Squid are starting to get caught at the usual haunts too so I got myself and my daughter new headlamps yesterday, she is keen to give it a nudge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 5:30pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cosmo is famous for 29 pound snapper out of a yak, which featured in fishing news as I understand.
I knew that, but didn’t know he works with my daughter’s boy friend Conor at Snow Planet,  which my brother found out when he came over for a chat on Sunday morning.
Great to see him out in our locale.
Very friendly guy and likes sharing a fishing story or two and certainly has the best one of his big fish. I recall that from previously meeting Cosmo when he came alongside, while I was tethered to a lady neighbour fisher-person in her yak last year. Three of us had great time fishing together the rest of the morning. Smile

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

Good to see you out there Shane, and your little brother and Cosmo too.
I had some fun with big kahawai today, but they won, one, two three in a row out played me with their jumping and head shakes,  the last one just snapped me off. I got a lot of paddling in, but the fishing did fire up off Kennedy's  after 12:00. I caught plenty but only kept a few to feed my older brother 'The Shark' and his lovely wife the Dolphin, who prefers it raw. The biggest one today was 43cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 10:16am
Gold
Gold

Cosmo is mad keen, and goes like a rocket in that rudderless yellow and green yak. Now that I know his name I'm not freaked out when I see a little yak heading for me like a torpedo, powered by a gentleman with something strapped to his head. 
He was telling me he hooked a kingie fishing off the rocks the other week, he was using frozen squid, but the kingie reefed him, he uses heavy gear too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 4:54pm
Gold
Gold

My Easter snapper triptych from Campbell's, it was 5 kts windier than forecast, but yak fishing in the wind is still a win win caper, more exercise than fish today. Cosmo got a nice big one too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 7:03pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice snapper that bottom one Dave.
Page  <1 822823824825826 849>