Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 820821822823824 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 1:06pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

Looks like you had a lively days yak fishing Kingaling, the heart rate goes up when a livebait  goes off, whatever is on the end.
I've never seen a 'scute' before,it  looks like a promising reusable, can you buy them or do you make them?

I'm going to take out a Slugo and a popper for when I see the big ones on the surface–I don't know how to use either, but I've bought them:) 

what do most experienced yakkers here use for casting into  workups with a softbait rig?

Cheers HY, yeah it's basically a saltwater fly tied on a softbait jighead. Very similar to the "bucktail jigs" popular in the US.
I've really enjoyed making my own and seeing if I can catch fish on them. 

I've heard good things about those sluggo's, I'm keen to get my hands on one and give it a go. See how frantically I can get it rigged when the kings show up. 

I typically use 15 or 20lb braid with 20lb leader. Generally fluro but sometimes mono which works just as well to be honest. 
The mono has more stretch/shock resistance while fluro is more abrasion resistant

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 8:50pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mysto Mysto wrote:

Were you there today?
I was there at high tide, saw 2 kayakers on their way back.

Very slow day with 2 average keepers.

Me & a mate got back to the sailing club around 1030 yesterday, fished around Meola just before 6am, absolutely stink fishing, 1 keeper each, probably 4 throwbacks up to 32cm, completely dead
Dirty or cloudy water, hardly any current, no real fish sign on the sounder & no bait schools on the way back in
Went to the holes off the white house on the beach, zero current there...gave up
Fished it for years, usually full bins till late Apr

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 8:25am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good call on the birds Shane, it's like 
spotting the first of the mighty wildebeests going where the grass is greener, the great anchovy migration has begun.
I saw hundreds of birds 1-2kms off Possums ladder at about 6pm yesterday, there was a stiff breeze, over 10 knots  I'd say, but the birds were into it following a big boil up, it brought a smile to my face.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 9:17pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Me & a mate got back to the sailing club around 1030 yesterday, fished around Meola just before 6am, absolutely stink fishing, 1 keeper each, probably 4 throwbacks up to 32cm, completely dead
Dirty or cloudy water, hardly any current, no real fish sign on the sounder & no bait schools on the way back in
Went to the holes off the white house on the beach, zero current there...gave up
Fished it for years, usually full bins till late Apr

Ah, you must be the ones I saw then. 
Yeah it was extra murky. But I did see bait fish (or mullet?) jumping around me all day. A few terns were diving not far from me. But yeah, fish weren't hungry..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 10:32pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty windy though Dave. Although not too bad today, going to be good fishing next few weeks though when weather plays ball.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 10:34am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone tried Iris recently?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 4:07pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not familiar with Iris sorry. 

Heading up BOI htis weekend for a wedding. Taking the yak for a cheeky fish on Sat morning before proceedings. 

Just gonna launch from Paihia and check out the veronica channel I think. 

Anyone fished around there before? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 10:29pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No info on iris shoal either. Should be ok though about now. As in all mahurangi to north Kawau. I’d be fishing outside motuketekete or round back southern end of motuuora . Or back of saddle and little way south. Not lot of kayak fishing those ways but done heaps in boat. That Northside kawau is fickle. southern side way better and way more options. Whereas suppose easy launch off Takatu RP if accessing north end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 10:58pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Launched at Army about 6am this morning. Noticed some genius had left a set net just to the right hand side of the ramp. Warned the boaties on the ramp so they didn't get tangled. Fishing was pretty slow, quick flurry of activity just before sunrise saw 3 nice snapper in the bin, biggest was 50cm. As I was paddling in, I saw hundreds of shearwaters and terns chasing bait schools in really shallow.

Unfortunately about 30 shearwaters ended up tangled in the set net, so when I got back to the beach I spent nearly an hour with the scissors releasing as many as I could with the help of a few other fishos and the (sheepish) owner of the net. About 6 or 7 didn't make it, having drowned before the net was pulled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 2:05pm
Gold
Gold

Good on you Telecaster for helping those little birds, those incidents go in deep I find, and are not easily forgotten.
It makes me wonder if every clown who buys a net goes through carnage while learning the ropes. I see folks on occasion netting down my way at 5:00am, they're not locals and all the fish are kept out of sight in a big plastic barrel, god only knows what's in there, bloody nets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 6:46pm
Gold
Gold

Five little fishes, a broken rod tip and a hook in the bone of my thumb, but a good day to be out before the windy spell begins all the same. 
The ones that got away were pretty decent I'd guess, one spat the hook after a long run and another broke the knot at the hook, but both were good fun in the yak, much like the rat kingie I caught on the same light gear on Friday, the kingie was only 55cm but on 10lb line I felt l was big game fishing without the fuel bill:). 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 9:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Dave. I got few out there this morning as well, one nice one round 50 cm. Then hooked and played what was am sure was pretty large shark till it bit me off.  Was in boat thankfully.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 10:28pm
Gold
Gold

Better to be bitten off than bitten.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 10:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit of story to tell Dave regards yesterday, about big kingi I did not catch.  Will not tell it here but on another forum. See “Auckland Area Fishing” on “ Fishing Reports”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:02pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dave kings will be around another month or so, best time when weather calms down . Maybe better once goes offshore , and bait comes in and not smashed out by easterlies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 6:01pm
Gold
Gold

Before I paddled out from Campbells Bay in the dark this morning, I had to wait for a couple of big dude to pull their net in, it was set just out from the pedestrian ramp in the middle of the beach where I always launch my yak, they had another net set at the southern end of the beach too.
It was a sad way to start the morning, these guys pulled the net in and fed it straight into a large blue plastic barrel set at the water's edge, sea weed, fish and all from the water straight into the barrel. I was standing next to my yak at the water line and I could see the little fish tangled in the net going straight into the barrel: flounder, little snapper, yellow tail, kahawai? There were a couple of decent legal fish but a dozen I'd be worried about, these dudes must have forgotten their rulers and their conscience, no measuring, no shame. The barrels were loaded onto a large trailer connected up to their vans.
I like the idea of eating what you catch but I measure my little fish. These guys have been netting like this for years, I've seen them many times:(
The fishing was a bit slow, but I'm easily amused, soft baiting for snapper is still fun, and they still taste good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 10:56am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I hate set nets, they're horrible things, end up with all sorts getting stuck in them including birds. Sad to see people not following the rules and pillaging nursery fish. Makes you want to take vigilante action.

Good effort on the snaps though!

Went out off army bay on Saturday morning. 

Caught plenty of livies, I've started using a micro jig instead of a sinker on my sabiki and sometimes pick up larger jack macks on it. 
I think it gives the appearance of a smaller baitfish chasing the sabiki flies and helps with attraction. 

Trolled from Army bay to the Tiri channel, no action on the livebait except for a horse KY near wellington rock. 
Trolling at 2 knots, unweighted. Does this sound right? 

Got to Tiri Channel and fished some of my dead livebaits on a jig head, picked up a 3 snapper including this big boy which put up a good fight. Then it was time to head home. No hits on the livebaits on the way back either. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 12:08pm
Gold
Gold

Beautiful looking snapper Kingaling. 
Your technique sounds good, slow trolling an unweighted live Mac from a yak sounds promising to me, of course there is the minor detail that I don't know what I'm talking about, never having caught a Kingie with a live bait from a yak, but that technique works well for sharks down my way...
Telecaster and Shane, and the mysterious legend of the yak Muppet,  have caught their fair share of Kingies live baiting from a yak...
I got a little one  soft baiting a couple of weeks ago, big fun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 5:08pm
Gold
Gold

There was a beautiful sunrise this morning, the water was clear and the fish were biting, it was a good day to be out.
 I caught my bag of fish between 7:30-8:30am and then drifted around for a few hours trying out various new pieces of kit I'd bought from China, some of which worked, so I had to release quite a few keepers. 
When I returned to the beach at lunch time two young police officers greeted me at my yak at the water's edge, we discussed my soft baiting preferences and I showed off my catch:) then the policeman mentioned that residents had reported a large shark swimming at Campbells Bay beach and asked me if I'd seen it. I told the good officer that I don't fish with bait at this time of year as I don't like catching those bastard fish with hammer heads and sharp teeth, but it  is routine for me to spot them, and others, when I'm out on the yak, I wasn't fussed by his news, but a few swimmers overheard our conversation hehe.
My biggest snapper today was 48cm:) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 10:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice fish dave, especially that 48cm one you showed me pulling yak up home. You did better than couple of mates out boats wider today on size. 
Well done & good to see one of us making best of a lovely day.
Page  <1 820821822823824 849>