Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 818819820821822 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 1:23pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Special iced rum tea - is that just a Liptons bottle full of Appletons?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 3:30pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry lads caught to much sun drunk to many beers and caught a fair few snaps over holiday period, just didn't have the time to report any of it.

Jan 8 Orere Point.
Got to the beach to find 20+ yakers getting ready, EAKFC I think. Got ready as quick as I could and beat them out there.
Much of the same, bin full before 730am excellent conditions.

Jan 12 Orere Point.
Much quiter on this mid week mission.
Bit of swell rolling in which adds a bit of excitement. Same again with some good 40-50cm snaps coming on board.
Also spent a bit of time on the boat but will chuck a report up on a boat forum.

Photos.
Snaps and beach pic. 🤙

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 4:35pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish Hopkins. 
TC very close, Appleton’s and ice cubes. Could add some cold tea though.
Need get boat prepped for tomorrow morning. Taking 21 yr old daughter out. She is keen to get first marlin but may have to settle for a harbour king tomorrow if we can get on to one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:00pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great eaters there Hopkins.
I hope your daughter gets a marlin tomorrow Shane, or even the booby prize, a King...go get em.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:15pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bloody nice bag of fish there Hopkins

Never done Orere
Do you need the WheelEEZ beach cart with the balloon wheels to go over the stoney beach.... or just a c-tug
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 11:03am
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good luck Shane.

BB just to the left of that picture the water comes right in, probably only 10m away at LT and 4m away at HT. Usually just make a couple of trips or drag it down, as it is sandy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 6:49pm
Gold
Gold

I'm trying to get my gear ship shape again, throwing out rusty hooks and getting my reels moving again, but the real shock is that I left my beloved 4.7m prowler on a C-Tug trolley for  8 months and  it appears to be rooted.
But  I've just watched a guy on youtube pump his yak full of compressed air, and then soften the area with a heat gun...Do any of you fine fellows have experience fixing a cluster f**k such as this?:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:03am
Titanium
Titanium

Leave it out in the sun on a hot day, they often fall back into shape themselves. Otherwise, compressed air in the drain hole, or maybe pull the dent with a toilet plunger if you can get it to stick to the hull?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 10:37am
Gold
Gold

Thanks Telecaster, I have my prowler lying upside down on the lawn waiting for a hot day...
I had her stored wrapped in two skins of tarp for  8 months, and sitting on a Ctug, but the whole back end of the yak with cover, somehow filled up with water inside, and quite a weight too, 20kg+ perhaps, so when the weather got hot the plastic softened and the weight of the water buckled her at the rear...
I tried taping a standing bike pump nozzle to the scupper hole at the front but I couldn't achieve any pressure, too many hatches and holes...
My hope now is for a miracle from the mighty sun, with the plastic remembering its old shape, before i go rooting it further with hot water and heat guns:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 11:23am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You could try the hot glue gun trick 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-SpK95sjlA
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 2:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dave you should probably drop into canoe and kayak and ask the old guy who works there. Take some photos He maybe could fix for you or tell you how to fix. Donlt suppose you can get into inside and pop out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 2:44pm
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 2:54pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks for all the good suggestions! 
The yak has been sitting out in the sun all day and I've been staring at it, it's coming along nicely, I tipped a kettle of hot water on to the area to add to the warmth...I reckon it's close enough to go paddling already! If I turtle I'll know there's more to be done,there are 20 knot winds at the minute so no paddling for me anyway...
I've learnt a good lesson about plastic yaks regaining their shape today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 4:04pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking much better HY!

Yeah wind is looking like it'll stick around for a while. I'm real keen to get out there though, thinking I'll head out this weekend on the southern side of the Whangaparoa peninsula. Should be a bit sheltered in close. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 7:10pm
Gold
Gold

I didn't lay a finger on her today, I just watched in amazement as the sun did its work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 8:31am
Titanium
Titanium

Looks good enough to use once the bloody easterlies stop! I am so sick of it I am thinking about buying a surf rod and heading west for some wind-assisted casting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 5:58pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone launched at gulf harbour marina before? Looks like there's a public boat Ramp. Thinking of launching there Sunday to save a paddle from little manly beach but haven't been there before. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 10:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

Anyone launched at gulf harbour marina before? Looks like there's a public boat Ramp. Thinking of launching there Sunday to save a paddle from little manly beach but haven't been there before. 

There is a beach and parking to the RHS of the ramp, otherwise you can launch at Shakespear if you have a trolley. Just be aware that even in a NE, a lot of wind wraps around the south side of the peninsula - to the point that I scarcely bother kayak fishing around the coast in a E or NE. And I live here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 12:09am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

There is a beach and parking to the RHS of the ramp, otherwise you can launch at Shakespear if you have a trolley. Just be aware that even in a NE, a lot of wind wraps around the south side of the peninsula - to the point that I scarcely bother kayak fishing around the coast in a E or NE. And I live here.

Cheers for that Telecaster, yeah I've been meaning to scope out shakespear, looking at the wind forecast on www.windy.com/ and windGuru, it looks alright in the late afternoon/evening. 

Looks like that weather from the south island is on it's way up. Hopefully it'll miss Auckland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 12:35pm
Gold
Gold

I've been studying the wind, plenty to look at and good to have a hobby when it's blowing 20 knots and I can't go fishing:) thanks for those links above Kingaling.
Page  <1 818819820821822 849>