Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 817818819820821 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 6:57pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Those women kayakers in slalom look amazingly fit, pretty good at kayaking in rough too.
I always picture myself as a chubbier Lisa Carrington paddling out to my spots... helps me go faster.
The hermit kingdom of NZ still won't let me in, God bless them, but despite my absence I've heard the level of kayaking in the old neighbourhood has gone up a few notches.
Guess who has moved in next door? 
Her who makes you go faster now lives a 100 metres up the road from you:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 8:43am
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well out on Sunday for another cracking day....launched at Jones to catch the last of the outgoing with another couple of kayakers, all of us heading in different directions.....i had previously been having issues with my sounder but had fixed those and during the test phase had played around with some of the settings Embarrassed needless to say that it took me a little while to get the F/F back singing again and picking up sign......first fish of the morning landed a nice 8lber again and then proceeded to land another a couple of nice pannies before the bite went quite......interestingly enough there was a work swinging around the bay but not much under it......lots of KY...managed to hook one for a bit a of fun and would have made a nice live bait for a kingie but no sign of those around.....end of the day finished up with 5 snaps and a KY. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 9:24am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Those women kayakers in slalom look amazingly fit, pretty good at kayaking in rough too.
I always picture myself as a chubbier Lisa Carrington paddling out to my spots... helps me go faster.
The hermit kingdom of NZ still won't let me in, God bless them, but despite my absence I've heard the level of kayaking in the old neighbourhood has gone up a few notches.
Guess who has moved in next door? 
Her who makes you go faster now lives a 100 metres up the road from you:)
Really, I’ll have to keep and eye out for her. Maybe see if she wants to go for kayak fish with me, so I can share some my local knowledge for few paddling tips from her.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 10:23am
Gold
Gold

Keep an eye out for her, her tips would be invaluable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 10:25pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dave, am sure you will invite us over for bbq with your new neighbour when back. And introduce us in a civilised fashion.
Check out the fishing reports, instrumental in scoring few nice Mahi last weekend. Need to get you back… been bugger all fishing pressure off here since you left.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 4:37pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey all. Does anyone have experience kayaking in Hahei? We're camping there next week and I am trying to suss it out. Apparently the shore break can be nasty. Any tips to avoid turtling? I am on a Viking Profish GT. 
Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:17am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have been MIA from this forum for a little while... fractured a couple of ribs just after xmas in a minor sailing accident, so can't paddle, lift the kayak, or run until they heal up. Probably another 7 - 10 days.

Any reports of kings in close to whangaparaoa?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:47am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've not launched at Hahei before, but from the maps (I use www.wetmaps.co.nz) it looks like the far right hand side of the beach might be a bit more sheltered from incoming swell, and there's a creek that comes out there which might help too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:25pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

I've not launched at Hahei before, but from the maps (I use www.wetmaps.co.nz) it looks like the far right hand side of the beach might be a bit more sheltered from incoming swell, and there's a creek that comes out there which might help too. 
Thanks, that's a good point.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:36pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Any reports of kings in close to whangaparaoa?

I got smoked by one, 2km straight out of Army Bay.
There were a few small boil ups scattered around.
I was on a boat but didn't have the right gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:28pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mysto

Never fished that side, only Wharekaho beach on the other side (whitianga)
Any slight northerly or east will have sets dumping on those beaches, worse on the Whiti side

If you scroll out more on the link, there's some spots already roughly marked out worth sussing out
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@11&key=xxw_Fohcp%60%40

Hows the fishing at Te Atatu, have usually done ok this time of the season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:27am
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that.

Hows the fishing at Te Atatu..

I fish around the channels between TAT and Pt Chev and almost always get a feed of snaps. It's been pretty steady since November.
Best in the outgoing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 12:59pm
Gold
Gold

What do the canoeists with fishing poles think of the new soft bait spinner technology, such as the Dartspin, there are others. 
Looking out from MIQ over Auckland airport to Grahams beach, and watching the tide come in, my mind drifts off to fishing, and to my true purpose: to strike terror in the hearts of small snapper. 
The spinners are said to create turbulence sensed by the  predators lateral line, of course that could be bollocks, is anyone using these?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 1:38pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice to hear you are back on home soil Dave.
Look forward to catching up once you are through MIQ.
Fishing opportunity especially kayaks been limited of late off here by very large waves. Some great body surfing though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 1:58pm
Gold
Gold

I'll be great to get out of here, despite me being very grateful to be here! The fishing awaits, I look forward to catching up. cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 3:19pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Those dartspins look interesting, $15 a pop though! Imagine they wouldn't be too hard to replicate using a standard Z-man. 
Buy some lure blades  then attach a swivel, tie on some mono. Chop off the Z-man tail and thread through with a big needle, and attach to hook
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:38pm
Gold
Gold

The Dartspins are said to be durable, but at $15 a pop it's the cost of a packet of soft baits.
I like your idea of rigging up a Z man, I used Gulps for a while and their tails were forever bitten off, threading a Cheapo Chinese spinner though the stump could be a plan, a bionic limb for Gulps. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gee it must be hell in there… do have rum and ice? Frozen stuff I mean.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:52pm
Gold
Gold

It could be hell if I wasn't so damn glad to be here. 
Rum and other spirits are nonapproved beverages of the overlords, but you can have a six pack or a bottle of wine delivered to MIQ.
At check in they asked me about my food preferences for the week, I said I won't be needing any food, I haven't eaten for three days, only seven more to go...I do drink black coffee though, or my friggin nervous system would melt down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 11:30pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

probably need to have some food Dave, you’ll need for paddling strength, in case we we go out with LisaC first day when your back. Can’t have her showing us up. I’d deliver some of my special iced rum tea but believe you are not allowed visitors while in MIQ.
Page  <1 817818819820821 849>