Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 816817818819820 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 12:14pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Do kayakers need or use two speed lever drag reels? 
I'm set up with Penn spinning reels which I'm very happy with, but I'd like a new toy: a lever drag reel for an overhead rod I bought by mistake, this setup could be handy for big fish, should I ever find any, one speed or two, what do the kayakers say?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 2:05pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shimano TLD 15 seems to be a classic option for overheads. Simple but effective
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 3:59pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use a little Okuma Metaloid 5ns with 30lb j-braid, ridiculous amount of stopping power for such a small reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 4:11pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Kingaling and Telecaster, I'll add these options to the Penn suggestions Shane offered. He encouraged me to take a look at the Penn Fathom and Squall lever drag reels, and this is where my question arose about the one speed or two speed reel,would a two speed be an extra I'd use on a yak? After searching ebay and Alibaba their algorithms have now gone mad making suggestions for me, surveillance capitalism at it's best:) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 10:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

I don't think there is any advantage to a 2 speed off the kayak. I think a low gear comes into its own when retrieving large fish from very deep water, like wreckfish or a dead blue marlin etc.

And it adds another orifice for salt to get in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 10:07am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't think i have ever seen anyone actually use the 2nd speed on a reel outside of a stubborn gamefish. The Metaloid is now called a Cavalla great little reel, i use the 12N for jigging and then the Makaira 10 for livebaiting but the 5N and 30lb would definitely be sufficient for most kingis.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 11:37am
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the info on two speed reels, I'm going to be a one speed  guy.  I don't catch Marlin dead or alive, although I occasionally get a shark I would rather not in the yak, I like the taste of them but  like my fingers and hands more.
The good Okuma stuff looks beautiful. I've met a couple of people while pulling in my yak that said they used  cheap gear but prepped it for yak fishing by, in one case packing the case with lanolin I think he said, his mate serviced reels and told him to do this. I suspect the finely tuned mechanisms on high end gear aren't designed to function well packed to the gills with grease or lanolin or whatever, but still the idea of yak proofing a reel sounds good. My Penn Slammers are prepped for this at the factory, I gather this high end Okuma gear holds up well in a yak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 7:00pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been a bit quiet on here lately, only got ourselves to blame I suppose.

Spent a bit of time on the boat weekend before last, managed a couple of fish but spent most of my time tell friends to stop drinking and spent way too much money on gas! So this weekend it was back to the old faithful OP.
Launched this morning a 515am into a much stronger than predicted northwest wind. It was a slow start and continued that way until the bin was full. Ended up drifting 3km and took an hour to get home, paddling straight into wind and tide . The slider saved the day bagging my 4 biggest fish.

Photo of nice snap off the bottom end of Rakino, hiding from the wind as the sun was going down surrounded by anchored up launches.
And my bag from this morning. Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 7:30pm
Gold
Gold

Nice Hopkins, you're living the dream:)
The closest I get to fishing is buying fishing tackle on line from Melbourne, I checked my Marine Deals account this morning and discovered I have spent $3,500 on various bits of equipment, many of which I'll never use, and probably about the same on Alibaba, they are all being shipped to NZ, so when I get there in January I'll have a few packs to open during my week in quarantine. 
But I digress, great bag of fish there Mr Hopkins, and a bit of a work out against the wind by the sound of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:31pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers HY.
That's a fair bit of gear you've ordered!

If you were interested I run a TLD 15 as my overhead reel, very cheap and versatile. I've been running it for 5 years and use it for sliders, rapala's, live baits etc. Much better reels out there and much better advise on this site than mine, but it does the damage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:45pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

TLD 15 great choice if livebaiting HY.
Hopkins, nice bag of yak caught fish.
Dan. What’s happening? That new proposed marine reserve in your favourite spot hasn’t actually happened yet, and might never.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:41am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Lil trip report from a few weeks ago, absolute stitch up from my dad. 

"Let's go fish the Kaipara" he says. "I know the spot, we have to haul the kayaks a little ways but it's a great spot" 

Well he definitely undersold the distance we had to haul the yaks. It was an hour each way, LOL great exercise! 
The axles on the C-Tugs started melting and groaning badly by the time we reached the water. 

It is a beautiful spot, water was actually pretty clear. We didn't paddle far, anchored up and got a berley trail going. The fishing was hot, started catching snapper every drop on some mullet. Nothing huge just consistent pan sized fish. 

Wind was picking up and we were about to head in when my line started screaming off the reel. I got a bit excited thinking it was a Kingfish but turned out to be a stingray. Good tussle on my Sharky 3, Kastking reel from Aliexpress, I was quite impressed how well the reel handled it, using 30lb braid. Kingifiddla would love it. 

I also got to test out my number 8 wire fish finder mount / rod holder which went well. 

And check this out, my old man crafted me a Left handed fish scaler for my birthday yesterday. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 2:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

The scaler is a great gift! Almost makes up for the 5km walk dragging the kayak! (almost)

I had a similar situation, launched at Waiwera and didn't realise how big the tides were. I have no trolley for my kayak and the carry back to the car damn-near killed me! took 3 trips, one for the rods and gear, one for the fish, one for the yak.

I bought myself a bottle of bourbon on the way home to ease the aches!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 2:04am
Gold
Gold

I like the first photo of the winding path, through the trees and into the...sand dunes:) Sounds like it was a great trip though.
As someone who drags, or dragged a kayak a fair way on a C tug, I found a great shoulder strap at Bunnings for $10 or $20, let the legs do the work...but of course you didn't know how far it was going to be.
Luckily you can buy a new set of those inner bushes inside the Ctug's hub.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 5:20pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Managed to get out for a fish on Sunday with Muppet and Brent....goal was to get the Xmas Kingie, with a no so great start as FF failed to fire due to some dodgy wiring, Muppet yelled out "stick with me you Aussie b$^tard you'll be fine". So with a clear plan ahead we paddled and spent the first 30 odd mins catching small livies thinking how could a hungry kingie not snap these up.

And that was the last thought abot kingies....after paddling around with a livie out the back and not even rat having a look decided to switch over to softies and see if I could get a few  snapper instead....while doing that I did keeo  the livie rigged up just in case a hungry kingie did go.

With Muppet seemingly landing a snap every cast i finally managed to get on the board with nice snap up to 8lb....really nice condition and a good fight....with the snap tucked in the back i cast out the softie when the Talica started screaming, thinking it might be the Xmas Kingie the head knocks soon had me convinced otherwise, finally landing a nice 10lber.

Resetting the livie rig, i cast out the softie again to get a really good  hookup....this was a good fish, big knocks and dragging the yak.....the big knocks suddenly went to a dead pull.....the tax collector had turned up which ended up with me busting off after a couple minutes.....with a couple more onboard and sneaking a fish from right under Bent, the other highlights of the morning were the dolphins playing around Brent scaring all the fish, a shark breaching pretending to be a dolphin....not sure what type, but it was big and made a huge splash and slap when it the water...nowhere near as graceful as a dolphin.

Headed in just after after 9 with a pretty good catch and pretty good view on the beach as I as packing up the yak...very distracting but glad i had the shades onBig smileWink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 5:50pm
Gold
Gold

Nice report MichaelK, that's a fine looking fish you have there, good to hear the Muppet is still out there yakking too, if no longer so on the forum. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 11:44am
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Made the decision not to go to a friend's house for a Christmas carry on last night and chucked the yak on the roof instead.
Paddled out in the twilight at 530am and hooked up first cast nice 55cm model. 40mins later it was all over with 7 in the bin nothing under 40cm and all in good nick. All caught on the pink laguna shrimp paddle tail. Few turns and Gannetts diving with some big bait balls underneath, just nothing in the water chasing them. Nice and quiet out there with very little water traffic. 😀👍

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 8:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice catch hopkins
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 12:40pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice trip report there MichaelK
Good catch again Hopkins, assuming OP ?

I got skunked off Meola reef last week, got there for the last part of the incoming, released snaps around 34cm then it died off altogether an hr before high tide.... not happy

Other than that, me & mates have been fishing the Manukau.... exactly 8mins drive from home for me, easy fishing, nothing of size like east side. Posted TRs on Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing pages

Do try the Manukau for snapper fishing, the snapper on west side are so much better eating.... by miles, its that good
About mid Jan they put on their winter fat, by early March they have almost vacated the Manukau for the season
Usually baits then micros & softies on the smaller tides in close
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 9:07am
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers Shaneg.
Yea OP BB. It's 40min drive for me, I quite like the scenery past Kawakawa, grew up in the King Country so it feels a bit like home. Use to travel all over the place with the yak but with almost guaranteed bag full and very little paddling it's hard to go elsewhere. I think we are spoilt in Auckland with 2 big Harbours and miles of coastline, took the boat out the other day and cleaned up around Waiheke, we are spoilt for choice, weather looking crap for the next few day's though.
Page  <1 816817818819820 849>