Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 815816817818819 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 4:19pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The NE isn't looking too bad is it? Reports I checked saying max of 9 knts in the afternoon. 

I'm heading out in the morning anyway. Somewhere a bit different this time, up to Te Arai Pt. Will see if I can't nab one of KingiFiddla's kingfish before it gets across the border to Mangawhai. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:16pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Anyone heading out in the morning before the NE comes in? I might do some local straylining - got some fresh squid to use. You can only eat so much of it.
Fresh squid tentacles are great strayline bait for big snapper up off home point. Not that will be there 2morow. Looks good in morning might go for paddle or put boat in and go further out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:18pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

The NE isn't looking too bad is it? Reports I checked saying max of 9 knts in the afternoon. 

I'm heading out in the morning anyway. Somewhere a bit different this time, up to Te Arai Pt. Will see if I can't nab one of KingiFiddla's kingfish before it gets across the border to Mangawhai. 
good thinking watchout for the makos at macgregors rock, get any king in fast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:00pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tucked in on the left side of Arkles this evening to get some shelter. Pumped a berley trail and straylined pillies and squid. Current was acting weird, the berley was heading away across the bay as expected, but my baits were drifting back towards the kayak. That made it difficult to stay in touch with the bait. Managed 4 keepers and about 8 undersized. Had a good tussle with a decent bronze, it was towing me dragging the anchor behind towards rangi until the mainline broke. It came to the surface after the bust off like they sometimes do, wonder if they turn around to see what they were attached to?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 7:02pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well sorry lads but I have a confession to make, a couple of years ago when I realized it would be a long time before I could take my boy kayak fishing I did somethingI said I would never do and brought a boat! Promised the kids all lockdown I would take them out and with the big rush for the ramps diminishing, Saturday plans were made. Had a friend bring his boy and the 5 of us were at half moon bay at 730am . Perfect timing as the fisherman were gone and the family's hadn't arrived yet.
Quick zip out to the Noises with the rest of Auckland, as expected with a 4 year old and two 6 year Olds it was short and sweet. All the kids managed a couple of small snaps each with a bit of squid on the end of a slider. Highlight had to be picking up a 45cm snap on a softie anchored up.

Sunday
With more favorable weather and a keen neighbor a plan to sneak out on the yak was made. Old trusty OP provided the goods with 6 snaps at 40cm . The big moon proved to be troublesome with it taking the full tide to catch them.

Photo of some sashimi and my boy looking very unimpressed with a decent snap.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 8:43pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went to see if the kings had arrived at leigh reef yesterday, was at least a dozen yakkers there and plenty of boat traffic, think 1 rat was caught, a few more and 1 legal was caught further down the coast. Weather was mint so paddled down to ti point for much the same experience but dropped the livie to the bottom and picked up a couple of nice JDs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 8:44pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's one of my favorite beers especially on tap. Nice work on getting the kids out, making memories.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:26pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea we're pretty lucky alright Tele, not everyone has the Gulf on there backdoor step. Birdog a bloody good drop. Getting hard to find though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:42am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

good thinking watchout for the makos at macgregors rock, get any king in fast.

That'd be across the border unfortunately. 

I went off Te Arai Pt. Not a bad spot actually. Popular with spear fisherman. Launching would be a bit hairy in a decent swell though. 

For the most part it was pretty quiet out there. Plenty of little ky and a few undersize snaps. 

My dad had an interesting moment, he got a bad wind not, and had to cut/re-tie his braid with the softbait still in the water, trying to tie knots when something grabbed the softbait.. the braid nearly cut through his hand but he wasn't letting go. Rod was getting bent terribly against the gunwale of his yak. I went over to help him out and up came a nice 40cm trevally! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 10:09pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm pleased NZ has finally lowered the drawbridge and will be letting kiwi's back in as of Jan 17 2022, I've even had my third booster shot for the occasion:) I have my ticket and hope to be chasing little snaps by the end of January. Not being able to fish where I am has not stopped me from buying gear though, but perhaps someone should have stopped me, I've bought at least one of everything from Alibaba and ebay, I'll spend my weeks home quarantine opening parcels. Still looking for a yak proof water proof lever drag reel though, any suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 11:14pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Dave.
l’d go if looking at kings specifically a new smaller  penn fathom, either or star or lever drag, or if general fishing shimano Calcutta d 200 star drag ( my reel of choice for everything but not kings from yak)  or penn again squall if on budget.
We have taken 20 -30 kg kings on a a 25n star drag fathom this year from boat, no problem. Bullet proof reels the fathoms.
 Have look at the J&H LD15 video.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 10:15am
Gold
Gold

Thanks Shane, I'll take a good look at those Penn lever drags, I like the durability of my Slammer and Spinfishers on the yak, but I'm looking here for a reel to match an overhead rod I bought by mistake:), and yes it's for Kings and live baiting. 
Supplementary question: have you ever paddled straight out from the beach for 10kms to beyond the no anchorage area and fished? Would that be where the so called worm beds are? Idle thought...you get those when you're in limbo...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes 10 miles would easily put you on worm beds,probably past it, it would put you somewhere between tiri and noises. And no I’ve never paddled that far but fished it a lot in boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 2:03pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good morning off bays 6 nice gurnard and 3 snaps. Got busted off after 20 minute scrap on a nice king on the baby alvey. Smashed off the 50 lb gurnard trace inch under swivel right under yak. Same trace been using for 3 to 4 mths now to catch gurnard and had few snaps on it as well. Lot of small kahawai around before hooked up to king , saw couple good kings on surface just off yak smashing the bait in modest burley trail, just before hooked one up on the old ledger rig with couple of pillie cubes. Had caught few small kahawai during morning but only had light stuff, no heavy gear, out this morning. Hadn’t left till 9 am so was thinking wouldn’t be much around. And was so bright and calm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 3:10pm
Gold
Gold

Great fishing Shane, a King on the wee Alvey:) yahoo. November is a good month, in addition to first light the bite was usually good  around 10:00am I found...or rather I dimly remember, when I was lucky enough to engage in that caper...and you didn't even need to paddle out 10miles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:31pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice with the gurnard mate, good to have a mixed bag eh

I've never fished the bays, might have to try it for a change
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 10:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dave, yeah sweet weekend in yak on saturday, and went out in boat with wife on Sunday, fishing average. Managed a swim in Woody bay, Rakino which was nice. Wife spied some flash boats all faster than mine, vessels with a loo and place to lie down. They don’t sit well with me, but am a tight arse. 
BananaBoat if you want to fish out here would be happy to tag along with you. Probably can’t show you much but happy for company.
Banned from taking my sexy neighbour next door out so looking for friends.
Dan, noticed your not on here at moment to give positive affirmations of our modest efforts. Hope you are all good mate. Probably nothing for me to worry about. But you are life and soul of party on here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 2:51pm
Gold
Gold

M has gone AWOL , well wishes to our generous interlocutor, I hope he is back soon. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 5:15pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dave, Banned from taking my sexy neighbour next door out so looking for friends.

WoW , no surprise  here LOLLOLErmm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 9:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

Dave, Banned from taking my sexy neighbour next door out so looking for friends.

WoW , no surprise  here LOLLOLErmm
Yes my life has resembled Hogans Heroes the last few weeks (working from home), when all the pretty girls flatting next door walk down driveway in bikinis going to beach …everyday. My wife watches me like a hawk… and just like Sergeant Schultz, I say “I see nothing”. 
Page  <1 815816817818819 849>