Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 806807808809810 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 12:00pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 7:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 9:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 8:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure if going to level 3 Wednesday with those mystery cases, but if we are I’m going to make time to score some gurnards weather allowing… today would have been absolutely mint out here. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 8:54pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:06pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It's obvious the gurnard go to a lot of trouble dressing up in orange and flashing those pretty pectoral wings, but they haven't had much company this year, the lest you can do Shane is paddle out and say hello. 
I'd be surprised if the govt will come to the party though with 20 Delta cases.
Victoria had zero cases on Aug 4, twenty cases on Aug 11 and fifty six cases on August 18, before it went into the hundreds. NZ are doing a great job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:29pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Yeah mate frustration setting in.
Just watching the spearos on TV, get boarfish.
I got to try and catch one. 😂
 I just love those big stabicrafts they driving, absolute machines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:30pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

It's obvious the gurnard go to a lot of trouble dressing up in orange and flashing those pretty pectoral wings, but they haven't had much company this year, the lest you can do Shane is paddle out and say hello. 
I'd be surprised if the govt will come to the party though with 20 Delta cases.
Victoria had zero cases on Aug 4, twenty cases on Aug 11 and fifty six cases on August 18, before it went into the hundreds. NZ are doing a great job.
 Yeah Dave probably right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 10:11pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea this weekend was hard alright. Walk to Howick bèach with the kids most days, bloody torture on Saturday morning.

Whats that combo in the photo Muppet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 6:53am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:16am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My Kayak is getting pretty lonely aye. I've been heading out on Meola Reef flicking lures around and catching the odd Kahawai. Not bad for a local spot, but the oysters and mud make it a bit unpleasant.. 

Just booked a bach for a group of friends up at Tauranga Bay over New Years. I may have ulterior motives for choosing that location Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 12:38pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tauranga bay is one of my favorites, and if the surf is too big, you can drive 10 mins and launch at Mahinepua.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 3:26pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

I've been heading out on Meola Reef flicking lures around and catching the odd Kahawai. Not bad for a local spot, but the oysters and mud make it a bit unpleasant]
that's my favourite snapper spot along there, have had some nice fish out of there over the years.... took ages to learn it & no one fishes it, just the regulars
You should be getting snaps there now if you get a few days of a northerly blow.... I haven't put any time into it along there in the off season... if I was a local, would be a different story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_G1Q8jTPqk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 5:29pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yippee NZ's in level 3, he of the big red kayak might score a gurnard soon.
I'll need a refresher course in knots before I get another crack at fish... but I have been watching some clips that have me thinking about fishing line in a new way.
I was surprised to learn that seals were bears 50m years back, their sculls are still like bears and one presumes their teeth are not too shabby. These African dudes have developed a cool new sport combining sprinting, free style wrestling and  emergency medicine. The are hundreds of these clips, some of them quite therapeutic, but they tell a story about commercial fishing too. I wonder how NZ seal colonies fear? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Watched video Dave, depressing what we’ve done to wildlife and planet but those fellas were doing a good job.
Fishing from Wednesday below average till after weekend, suggest those gurnard will be safe for a week… maybe. But I will get em, poised and  ready with some good bait.
Shame you won’t be here to enjoy when weather comes right.. going to be pretty good I think. Will post pictures if lucky enough to get on to couple of decent fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 11:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

I've been heading out on Meola Reef flicking lures around and catching the odd Kahawai. Not bad for a local spot, but the oysters and mud make it a bit unpleasant]
that's my favourite snapper spot along there, have had some nice fish out of there over the years.... took ages to learn it & no one fishes it, just the regulars
You should be getting snaps there now if you get a few days of a northerly blow.... I haven't put any time into it along there in the off season... if I was a local, would be a different story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_G1Q8jTPqk

Nice video BannanaBoat,  enjoyed watching it . Heard some good fish frequent Meola reef. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:03pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Would a 6-8kg shimano catana 8ft rod stand up to kingfish from the kayak?

Thinking of pairing with a reel w/ 18kg drag, 30lb braid and 50lb leader.

Interested to hear thoughts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:07pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was already of the opinion that kayak fishing within 200m of shore is okay at level 3. But it's nice to have something official (from the NZ kayak fishing facebook group): 

Given that there won't be any boats about, and it's hard to find deeper water within 200m of shore, I'm scoping out Devonport as a potential launch spot. Looks like some good holes etc along there, and a guy at work reckons he used to catch nice trevally underneath the moored navy ship. 

Wouldn't usually fish with all the traffic and harbour activity, so could be a good opportunity. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:04pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trevs  should be about, coming up to that that time of year where can appear at black rocks. They probably be about under that ship.
Devonport wharf used to get a few, once saw a big one caught in whitebait net off wharf.
Like your  thinking Kingaling.

QUOTE=Kingaling]I was already of the opinion that kayak fishing within 200m of shore is okay at level 3. But it's nice to have something official (from the NZ kayak fishing facebook group): 

Given that there won't be any boats about, and it's hard to find deeper water within 200m of shore, I'm scoping out Devonport as a potential launch spot. Looks like some good holes etc along there, and a guy at work reckons he used to catch nice trevally underneath the moored navy ship. 

Wouldn't usually fish with all the traffic and harbour activity, so could be a good opportunity. 

[/QUOTE]
Page  <1 806807808809810 849>