Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 799800801802803 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:05pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yum - better than snapper in my book.
Having sick boys meant I couldn't join you, but I got a car & trailer WOF so didn't waste the whole day. All set for the next 12 months.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:09pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 8:53am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one M. Was great to be on the water yesterday. No probs finding kahawai but all too bloody big for the kidstix kingi mish. 7hrs was a good workout for the flab where my muscles used to be though.

Had a wee chuckle to myself when handing the mighty eclipse (currently with the wee okuma RV-30 reel) to guys in a nearby tinny for them to reel the kahawai in and keep it (I could tell it was going to be another one too big for me). One commented I use small gear for kingfish. Yes I replied. Yes, I do.

Have to admit though, it won't take too many more Kingi-less sessions to take the fizz out of the 'it's just nice to be back on the water' vibe.

P.S. After the kingi the rv-30 caught what seems like a lifetime ago, it has been rewarded with a ceramic bearing, carbon drag washers, and if it backs up with another good fish, it'll get all the ****e case screws swapped out for SS ones. Hoping to turn it into a little wolf in sheep's clothing.
P.P.S. Hopefully will stumble across a kingi during tomorrow's sunrise session.
*edit* nup, another kingi doughnut session. Threw in the towel about an hour before high tide, with the wind building. Tomorrow, if the weather looks to stay reasonably calm for the bulk of the day, will try to find a shark at McGregor. Was a boat parked up trying to catch livebait when I arrived at my preferred (knowing the wind was going to get up) spot. Sabikis don't really work there and they were finding that out the hard way so I gave them a few kahawai and a standard BIC lure and fitting diablo 1/0 hook for them to rig up on one of their rods, having proven to them the lures work (I was getting maybe 10 paddles from their boat before hooking up again). They then pointed their boat about as far away from the Kahawai as they possibly could have and proceeded to catch nothing with the new to them lure from what I could tell. Go figure. I hope they got into some at a different spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 3:56pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looking possible up at the king spot in the morning - or maybe closer to the launch beach in the shelter of the cliffs.......aiming to launch by 6.30
Packing now and will check before bed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 4:42pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 5:38pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am thinking about a dirty strayline session on the outgoing tomorrow arvo, probably M bay again if the wind drops as forecast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2021 at 6:02pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

I am thinking about a dirty strayline session on the outgoing tomorrow arvo, probably M bay again if the wind drops as forecast.
Could be good, pilchards are in up your way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 1:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

I decided to give it a miss, don't like the weather.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 3:32pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I did Narrowneck this morning, all small stuff, strayline baits & berley
Twice as the fish were coming on, a couple kayak fishers paddled straight over my strike zone
Then twice again over my strike zone from bloody dolphins, heaps off them 50 plus from Narrowneck to St Leonards.... gave up, 3hrs sesh, 4 snaps & a trev plus 13-14 throwbacks undersize & just legals

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 4:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 6:05pm
Gold
Gold

At least you are getting a feed BB. Well done. If it's any consolation, the disrespect you experienced is pretty normal these days. Up here at least, on any calm weekend day in Summer you can bet your house you'll witness at least half a dozen rule breakers before you even get to your spot. In Winter it's better - the locals, baring a few usual suspects, are actually pretty bloody good, but over Summer it's a different story.

6.5hrs in the saddle today. Nothing worth keeping. Won't say it sucks, because it sure beats lockdown (hope you are doing OK over there HY), but roll on the warm water.

FWIW, I couldn't get any of the many bimini twists I tried in the tasline 40lb braid to hold beyond 13kgs. Failure was almost always at the very top of the knot. My first and pretty ugly Aussie plait got to 18kgs before I gave up trying to break it until I get a better option than many wraps around gloved hands - which still hurts. So, looks like I either figure out why my bimini twists suck or, most likely, focus on improving my tying of the Aussie plait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:21pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

... So, looks like I either figure out why my bimini twists suck or, most likely, focus on improving my tying of the Aussie plait.

Here is link for you.  The secret is pulling the braid tight after each cross as PP says.  The end result will look very tidy if you do so.  When tied nice and tight there will be a slight curl over the length of the knot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 8:05pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not bad BB, always good to get a feed, and they are good eaters at that size.
I ventured north for an early start, on the water at 6.30am and went left off the beach. 
No livies found, then after about 30 mins of trying only 2 at 5cm were hooked.... wasnt looking good. 
Sun was up now and nothing in the live bait tank so I paddled down to the point to try my luck. 
Plenty of big macs here, and they were biting in the sun which is usually unheard of.
I dropped one about 6m below and watched it get harassed by a king that was looking like 1.4m+. It took the bait but then spat it and wouldnt give it another go. It was dead when I pulled it in so quickly put out another one. It swallowed that straightaway and was off. 
I held on for sleigh ride and I couldnt slow it down. After 10 seconds my braid parted at the back to back uni knot - first time its happened and I was gutted. 
Managed 2 kingis in quick succession at 81 and 80cm and then ventured back along the coast looking for a snapper. 
Nothing else to add to the pot - but will cook it 3 ways in a minute.... 
sashimi, panko crumbed and oven baked wings. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 8:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Brent!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 9:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:32am
Gold
Gold

Thanks FA. That one helped me tie my first but I'm struggling to stop it slipping when starting the plait and until getting maybe a half dozen or more plaits. The 40lb tasline is thin and slippery. Will keep trying though. And that reel is off to my reel guy today-he reckons if I'm lucky it might just be a bearing or two.

Nice one Bullet. Bugger on the bigger one. At least someone can find them. Yesterday a local stopped to tell me where they were, but by the time I paddled there they were gone, leaving behind an oily, baitfish massacre smell as their calling card.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 4:58pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers KF. 
Over the last 2 days there have been big gannet work ups out passed Browns Bay reef - they are moving fast too. Its always touch and go chasing workups in Yaks. LOL

For reels, Greg that used to run the  gofish shop in Takapuna was awesome. Anyone know if he is still servicing reels? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 5:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 8:12pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Nah not anymore Brent
Who do you use now Dan?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 8:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 799800801802803 849>