Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 798799800801802 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 4:57pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

O for Orsome, M. Nice to get the rewards for taking your shot when the weather gives ya half a chance. Did the tarakihi fight/feel like other fish, say, like a snapper, or? Nice big moocher too! what a cool trip.

FA, it's 40lb PE3.5 and had to back the tension off to about 6-8kgs because it was digging into the tasline spool too much. Put 600m on and tried to pull some off at full drag and it didn't seem to dig in much but if you guys think I should try again with more tension rather than risk it, I'd be happy to do it right. Am thinking will have to take some off to get about 100-120m of 100lb PE10 on there too, but here's what it looks like with the 600m of 40lb on:

And thanks again for finding this rod/reel. the more i think about it the more I realise the reel alone was worth the $ or more. Because I play at the super-cheap end of the spinning market, this marquesa feels so silky smooth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 5:05pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's a beast you're nursing in the dim light, 20lb you say, happy days the 'bay' delivers again. Good to see there's a bit of excitement happening somewhere...no action happening in oz, unless you're a virus, day 3 of lock down 6 is slowly ticking away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 5:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 5:10pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one there Mr M on the 80 plus, that's a goodie
Enjoy the Tarakihi as well, bucket list right there

What was the water temp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 5:12pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

I wasn’t killing it for proving a point
Amen to that. Onya.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 5:38pm
Gold
Gold

Good luck with lockdown 6, HY. Here's hoping they can get enough jabs into arms before the virus mutations get ahead of the jabs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 6:48pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

KF - looks good.  Personally I don't think there's any need to respool with more tension.  I'd just top up the spool with your topshot without removing any of the main line.  A 50-60m topshot should be plenty, anything more than that's a bonus.
You're fortunate I don't live in NZ or I would have bought it myself.  I have its smaller cousin the MA16 and love it.  The only criticism I have is that the drag quadrant is small.  It would be nice if the drag was a bit more gradual.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 7:43pm
Gold
Gold

If by some miracle I do stumble upon and land a marlin, I'll swap you this MA20 for the 16 and pay the freight for both.

Of the fights I have seen, if the marlin is going to dive it tends to sit down around the 60-80m depths and then it's a ding-dong battle with the line going through the guides in and out heaps of times and every time I see the drag getting nudged up more to try and put some pressure on and lift the beast. But if it's just a nice to have rather than must have, great, I'll just have to see how much goes on and leave it at that.

Good to know it's a fast drag progression. This is my first ever overhead and lever drag so I wasn't sure and have been wondering how I'll go when my hands are shaking and the adrenalin is pumping.Will mark off a few key drag settings and hope to not go beyond them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 8:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very well done Dan, that is a very nice tarakihi and good on you for letting the big snapper swim away.

Some tarakihi are around there, and have heard of a few guys with spots for them.
Have seen quite a few diving around that area usually on the sand just off reefs. Remember seeing few big teras one day years ago with a big boar fish, was very memorable. Wasn’t that deep either, under 20m.  We don’t seem get any tarakihi down closer to Auckland though. Suspect water quality isn’t good enough, too silty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 8:13pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 8:14pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 8:20pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great eating they are too mate, love that delicate flaky texture, and taste even better than snapper. 
Very yummy, hope  to see a lfish dinners post from you featuring those fillets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 9:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

If by some miracle I do stumble upon and land a marlin, I'll swap you this MA20 for the 16 and pay the freight for both...
... have been wondering how I'll go when my hands are shaking and the adrenalin is pumping.  Will mark off a few key drag settings and hope to not go beyond them.

I'm a bit of a tackle collector, read hoarder, I don't think I could ever part with my MA16.

After catching a few kingys and / or sharks I'm sure you will get a good feel for the drag.  Whilst marking drag settings is a good idea due to the limited progression of the drag system I think I'd try and minimize drag adjustments during the fight.  My thoughts would be to preset the drag lever at Strike to a mid to upper range of fighting drag you are comfortable with.  To increase that thumb the spool rather than push the drag lever forward of Strike.  
You mentioned that overheads / lever drag reels are a bit new for you.  One thing to know is that prior to changing the preset drag knob setting you should back the lever drag off completely.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 1:25pm
Gold
Gold

Tell ya what, if this reel lands a marlin then as a thanks for all your help, just spot me $100 all-up, I'll post it to ya. The hundy will cover the postage and a few celebratory beers here. Even if I ever get the itch to chase another game fish, it'll be with something ridiculous with marginal-at-best chances of success, like the cheapest spinner with enough line capacity I can find, on my mighty eclipse. I like stoopid crusades like that (or this original moonshot).

Thanks for the lever drag care/handling info. I don't know anything about them so great to learn the easy way rather than stuff something up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 4:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 11:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

Tell ya what, if this reel lands a marlin then as a thanks for all your help, just spot me $100 all-up, I'll post it to ya ...
Nice gesture but to be fair having recently turned 70 I have more tackle than I can use now.  Once you've got your marlin respool the MA20 with 8-10kg line with no topshot and repeat.
Despite not being a yakker I've enjoyed contemplating how I would have approached it.  Thanks for the entertainment.       
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 7:27pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My leave is locked in for Thursday. 
I might head north and try for a king on a new reel/rod combo.
If I sleep in I might join you at the carrot patch.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:14pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:36pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A fine kettle of carrots M.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:43pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yum Muppet. Gurnard are nearly extinct here 😔
Page  <1 798799800801802 849>