Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 795796797798799 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 6:49pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How do you explain the fish and smell of another boat to the kayak? They are like elephants and never forget. A kayak scorned is likely to seek revenge and that's always gonna sting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 6:55pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I find if you swagger past with a bag of fillets in your hand, slap its rump and say "you're next, fatty" you don't get any lip Evil Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 8:34pm
Gold
Gold

Hahahaha.
Aint no way I could pull that off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 6:06pm
Gold
Gold

Wanted to wait until had tried all the moonshot knot options on fish but there's been too few opportunities to get out there for me. I'm not convinced the bimini or any double in fact, is ideal for me. It is probably ignorance talking - because lord knows plenty of people like it, but I don't like the feeling of that many knots going through the guides, even under the low pressure i can exert here on land.

Has anyone tried two FG knots on a small length of mono, to connect the braid mainline to braid topshot? 

My thinking is I can tie them well, know they are strong, and can get them in one spot so can more easily help them passed the tip and first guide more easily rather than a longer series of knots that would be in a bimini-cats paw/surgeon-bimini arrangement.

Would it be too thick, given the mono would have to be at least the same strength as the topshot braid (I'm thinking that'll be about 100-120lb)?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 6:44pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

About you moonshot kF, no worries on your knots the line will be fine, it's the bloody launch I'd be worried about, all that damn fire and smoke, but I'm sure Richard, Jeff and Elon aren't doing much fishing  up there yet, so when you get there you'll have the whole place to your self.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 7:40pm
Gold
Gold

A tenuous link to Auckland kayak fishing at best, but I've just been watching the Olympic women's white water kayaking. Although a sport without fishing rods, I can still relate a little bit, in that I know I would drown in a flash if I tried that s**t, wow they're fierce and  fast and tremendously skilled. I have new admiration for them, after my bit of fair weather paddling.
Apologies kF , for my feeble attempt above to amuse myself from lock down:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:51pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

Has anyone tried two FG knots on a small length of mono, to connect the braid mainline to braid topshot? 

Personally I think that's over complicating things.  If you're not keen on tying doubles then I'd look at back to back uni knots.  Splicing would be another option. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:55pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Dave  amusing, and  think  KF will take as good natured spin on his marlin he is going to catch. And there I was thinking  he would be making an energetic paddle out from Oceans  in a new carbon fibre model stealth kayak,  without firing him out of a rocket. 
And would then catch said fish with assistance of a modest sometimes kayak / sometimes humble game fisher who happens to a small but capable gamefishing launch just about 16 feet..just to assist in landing fish and getting him home..

Hope all is ok over there and must be tough not fishing in what you know to be the best zone in Nz , canโ€™t quite spell Aeteroa. Or spell check at least says I canโ€™t.
Think of you every time I put my kayak in water.... only few times since you left. Wondering if you left any fish out there... but seems you have. Come home bro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those women kayakers in slalom look amazingly fit, pretty good at kayaking in rough too.
I always picture myself as a chubbier Lisa Carrington paddling out to my spots... helps me go faster.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 9:07pm
Gold
Gold

HY, it might as well be a space mission, feels like about the same chances of success ;-) Just hope it aint a fizzer - a dud that does nothing on the launch pad. Would rather it blew up in spectacular fashion on the way to the moon than fizzled out.
Am feeling for you fellas and fellesses over there in lockdown. Not sure I'd be keeping it all together if we had so many lockdowns here.

FA, thanks. I'm thinking back to your earlier advice about just doubling the line and doing a surgeon or double uni knot, but might have a crack at adding rizzuto/whipping knot to finish them as a wee ramp on both sides.

Trouble with much of this is I can only poke the rod out off the deck and tie a bunch of weights to it to see how the knots hold up. unless I can get into a few sharks at the start of Summer I'm never going to get a good test of these things, just have to go by gut feel.

I guess one good thing about the crap weather here is time to try more and more of these knots out on the deckometer testing rig.

*edit* Shane, Lisa is a fave here and the only woman Mrs KF would ever change sides for. And who could blame her. Lisa is a Kayak Goddess sent from Heaven.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 9:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

KF you need to be shown how to tie a real good plait and a wind on into that. I can show you then you would need to practise. 

Nathan Adams or Craig Wilcox (both awesome game fisherman) both live in Mangawhai and can show you... if you see Craig tell him sent you...they  can also hook you up with Dacron leaders as well as Nathan makes them. Am sure they will help, otherwise come to Auckland and stop over for hour in  the beautiful ECB and I can show you. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 9:29pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you come down here .. you can get  to meet male equivalent albeit slightly older model the of Goddess in photo above..
Could even invite the legendary Muppet down for a beer at same time given time spent on his site. 
May as well meet the best fisherman,  if also meeting best looking person on this site who drinks the most red wine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:25am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 10:47am
Gold
Gold

Radio you say, what were you up to M.
The acclaimed fisherman Muppet skulked 11 gallons of larger faster than Lisa Carrington downed a protein shake? 
Or was this a flat water event with a white pointer?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 11:26am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 12:00pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

๐Ÿ˜‚

No it involved a good kingfish then half a bloody kingfish, two big sharks and me hitting light speed getting off the water.

It was quite something hearing the boatie on the radio describe what they saw ๐Ÿ˜‚

Aussie Mike said the exact same thing as I hit the afterburners ๐Ÿ˜‚

Was it at Stanley Point in your old red yakk about two years ago?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 12:47pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 12:50pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 12:50pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 1:25pm
Gold
Gold

Great fishy story M:), some good nuggets there. I could follow the day.My god 5 big kings in a session is tremendous, and you got a HIT workout with Bronzies to boot.
Page  <1 795796797798799 849>