Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 789790791792793 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:16pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

G'Day HY. If it's any consolation, there have been precious few fishable days here since you left. Tonight the wind has backed off enough that I can actually hear the roaring seas (and we are nowhere near the coast), so the surf must be too big to fish out there anyway.
How does isolation work with pets? Is that dog of yours going cold-turkey without its daily dose of vitamin sea from freshly caught snapper?
But none of that is important right now, instead, here's their email: [email protected] . They run specials with ends of spools, etc, and from what I can gather the specials are pretty darn good. Good luck.
:-)

Oh, and for the record fellas, I got 120m of 20lb braid and a topshot of 30m of 50lb braid and then a leader of 3m of 50lb fluro on the RV-30 reel. All wind-on. Double-uni braid to braid, FG for the leader. I'm going to see how the double-uni goes through the guides under tension, and also will practise leadering the fish and putting the rod back in the rod holder. I know it's all a bit silly with such light gear and fish but may as well make the mistakes on light gear and fish than a moonshot variant.

Another thing I might try at some stage, unless you guys think it's nuts, is an FG knot from braid backing to braid topshot (if the latter is significantly thicker than the former). I know it doesn't have the fluro/mono to bite into but am wondering if it will still hold, because if it does, there's no or next to no loss of strength.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Dave great to hear from you. As KF said hasn’t been many fishable days, including most recent long queens birthday weekend. Assume fish stocks are recovering off here since you left, but haven’t had opportunity to test theory. Although a mate scored dozen nice gurnard last Friday off here in boat when I was at work, just before bad weather the big easterly started with lots of rain.

KF you could try a very short double on mainline braid and tie heavier braid leader in with an Albright or “no-name knot”. Simpler than FG (great knot it is though), and the heavier braid should bite in nicely on lighter double braid. Try it and test it.
Be way easier to tie in yak if you have to re-rig on water, as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:38am
Gold
Gold

Thanks Shane, will do some testing for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:05pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

spider hitch is good double knot for the lighter braid, although you probably know that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 5:51am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:43am
Gold
Gold

Shane, it is best to assume I know sweet bugger all, because...I know sweet bugger all. Never doubled a line before, identified bimini, surgeon and now spider to learn and play with when time allows. Please keep the suggestions coming if you think of any that might be useful. I've been playing in a very narrow skill range for a few years now and definitely;y need to expand the knowledge.

M, yeah it's been a crazy few weeks now aye. I blame HY for leaving NZ. It all started then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 2:15pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

KF - if plaiting comes easy to you (it does to some people and not to others) try tying an Aussie Plait to make a double.  With nimble fingers and practice you can plait a double as fast as others can tie a bimini.  When you mentioned you were wanting to join two different braided lines my first thought was to tie a short double on each end and then cats paw them.  Personally I like to double the braid when tying knots.  It doesn't need to be in a closed loop just doubled line.  The knot is slightly bulkier as a result but I've never had a failure. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 3:21pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Back to back uni with the lighter braid just double back on its self is a good knot to join braid to braid. Easy to tie and strong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 4:54pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks FA. Will give it a shot.
This knot reference is a bit old but interesting:

Cheers Kandrew, will give the one I tied a go and see what happens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:06pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

KF - there are some interesting sites out there with good info.  One great site dedicated to line testing and knots was named Paulus Just Fishing, you may know of it?  Unfortunately the guy took the site down some years ago, I believe he was having health issues.  He may have had some connection to Tasline, not sure?  Anyway earlier this year I came across a link to his site before it was taken down.  Here is the link.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:01am
Gold
Gold

Cheers FA. I too found that reference a few months ago and it helped join the dots between the one spool of (about 40lb from memory) tasline I had and it being a nightmare to break (in the yak)when snagged.

The moonshot marquesa is sulking in my rod rack. It thought the change of ownership would see it finally getting used but there haven't been many chances yet. I dare not pick it up lest I get its hopes up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 7:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dinner for tonight  is fresh caught but not boat or kayak, was  rock fishing.
I am pretty slow round rocks ( but not as bad as trying to play football), slower than my even older more than capable fishing mate, but we still caught a few.
Was pretty miserable cold wind coming in with big waves... but still had fun and got a feed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 8:17pm
Gold
Gold

Onya Shane. Getting a feed is getting a whole lot more than most of us at the mo. Been a rough few weeks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:43pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great to see you got a few off the rocks Shane. So the Gurnards are still tip toeing around the mud and fattening up before the harvest. 
When the big blows come through it would be great to have another hobby that used the wind, win win.
I watched a kite suffer at Campbells when it was blowing 30knots, it looked exciting, but I have a mechanism that prevents me from doing that: fear of death.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 6:26pm
Gold
Gold

Screw this weather. Car is loaded up for a sunrise mish tomorrow if the bloo@$%DY Moth@-F&@#$ing weather gives me half a chance.
#goingNuts

*edit* Did the same thing as before with the wee okuma rv-30. Couldn't find a perfect sized livie, the bigger than optimal one meant I was at risk of getting spooled before the kingi swallowed, so I had to crank up the drag only for the kingi to drop the bait and unfortunately not come back. and that was my one and only shot at it this morning.

Learned my lesson fellas. Will put the 30 on the kidstix bait rig and break out the big guns (rv-55) for the mighty eclipse livebaiting weapon.

But nice to know the big-ish units are still around. It felt about the same size as the one I did land the other day.

*edit* went to spool up the RV-55 tonight but all I could find was the new, unmolested 3000m reel of 25lb kairiki and I really don't want to break into it so have given it one last shot at selling the whole reel and if that doesn't work then will have to.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:03am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Manage to get that pen lure wet yet kF? 

I got out on Saturday morning from Tindalls - fishing was pretty hot from sun up until about 8am. 

All action on the small tiger lime gulp SB's with 1/4 ounce jig head. 

Casting ahead of my drift and just letting it sink to the bottom, barely retrieving line - just staying in touch with the SB and letting it tickle along the bottom very slowly. I thought this slower technique be best for winter fishing, and it worked well for me on the day. 

First fish, lost what felt like a trevally under the boat, should have backed the drag off. 

Pulled in a nice wee panny which I kept, threw back a couple barely legals and dropped one or two reasonable feeling fish before hooking in to a decent ~55cm model, which  put up a good fight before going in the bin. First cast after that I hooked up to a really decent fish, took some big runs and I tightened up the drag a heap but it was still pulling string. Eventually spat the hook. Might have been a 20lb-er but I'll never know. I figure it either rubbed off on the bottom (sand) and I should've tightened the drag even more. Or It wasn't hooked well, just through the lip skin and I shouldn't have tightened the drag so much.  

Ah well, a bloody good morning out anyway. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 1:28pm
Gold
Gold

Sounds like a great morning Kingaling. Good onya. SuperBIC is getting wet this arvo/evening if the wind stays about where it is now. Am looking forward to it. I have decided to break open the reel of 25lb kairiki and spool up the rv55 putting superBIC on that and my regular pen lure on the kidstix/rv30. 

will keep ya posted...

BIC:2  *edit* 4
superBIC:1 *edit* 6

But the superBIC caught the best sized livie and looks sexy through the water. Sadly, no kingies this evening, but dug this piece of trash Veritas out of the low tide mark. A pity it was busted off just above the second eye.

For the record, got about 350m of 25lb braid on the rv-55. If I ever get a shot at another kingi, there's no way it's spooling me before swallowing the livie.

Also got 350m of the same braid on the baitrunner 6000OC that was spooled by a kingi some months ago. Might have to take some off to get 30m of 50lb topshot on there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 5:23pm
Gold
Gold

took today off, on water just after 7am, off 4:30pm, not one keeper in about 25kms of paddling. My arse and arms are sore, for nothing. Heaps of livebait but nothing else.
Lure score:
BIC:7
SuperBIC:9
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:39pm
Gold
Gold

Don't ask me. Maybe Shane can remind us, now that HY isn't here. I'll settle for a chocolate one but haven't been able to win one in about 30 hrs of trying, so might have go buy one.

There's some wonderful looking coastline between Mangawhai and Langs but I towed a livie along almost that entire stretch today and was surprised there was no interest. Miffed, I thought I'd chase a shark out at McGregor instead and they were long gone. Quite a few boats, mostly catching nothing or small stuff. So, back to the heads, then chasing a workup around for a k or two then struggle back against the current with tired arms and a dejected soul.

Worst doughnut day I've had in ages. Perhaps good training for the moonshot where there will be days upon days of nothing or nothing but sharks.

At least superBIC is kicking butt, scoring quite a few perfect sized livies (they don't count as real fish).

As I pulled up waterside this morning there were two kayakers just heading out. Seen the dude's "Pro Dive" ute  a few times so good to put a face to the ute when I saw them around the heads. Gave him a perfect sized, freshly caught livie and suggested the best time of the tide for me lately. I was on a mission so didn't stick around to see how he got on with it. Hope they had better luck than I did!
Page  <1 789790791792793 849>