Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 785786787788789 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:18pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

I collected the trademe deal today, thanks again FA for the heads-up. Shimano 24kg triton and fin nor marquesa MA20 reel. Haven't really had a good look at it yet but I doubt the reel has the line capacity for the moonshot, just couldn't pass it up.

Nice, if you picked it up for close to the original reserve price you've done well.
The 45lb line you are awaiting is closer to PE2 if the diameter of 0.215mm is correct.  If it is I reckon you'll get around 800m on the MA20.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:56am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thanks mate. Yeah $250, plus a hair-raising tango with Sunday Auckland shopping mall lunatic traffic to collect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 5:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What did you catch today Dave?
Would been a bit damp out there this morning I guess. Hopefully the fishies were biting, on back of that warm northerly wind we had in last day or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:14pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It was a good day to be out fishing despite the odd light shower, the water visibility was good but there was a lot of weed floating on the surface. When the rain moved in it was potentially dangerous, I could hardly see Rangi or the cliffs along the Bays, so I came in closer.
 When it cleared up I saw some birds at Browns Bay so I headed down there and fished a boil up the size of a foot ball field for an hour, I caught Kahawai and Macs, lots and lots of them on soft bait, but no snapper, not one. 
When I had enough of catching and releasing big Kahawai I headed back to Campbells to go in, but I noticed a few birds diving close to shore at the northern end of the beach. It was quite a boil up, the action was so intense the surface of the water looked like soap bubbles, I think the snapper were on the surface, some of the snapps I caught spat out anchovies.
 I caught my limit of snapps in about 20mins, there was a hit on every cast. The fishing was very hot, I could have stayed much longer, but I chasing the light to get the filleting done and the gear squared away.
I had one of these 40cm snapps for dinner, it was delicious, these are my favourite size to eat.
Makin hay when the sun shines:)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:28pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

awesome fishing Dave, great report and those snaps look real fat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:19pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have been sussing out my patch on the muddy (Manukau) still learning it, getting a feed for my efforts, no wow factor as yet, but only 15mins drive from home.... no swimmers, paddleboarders, kiteboarders, & feckin jet skis... big yay!!

I certainly like that landing net you sold me Mr Muppet

Most trips out I get Trevs, its all on baits at the mo..... just started exploring the use of softies, they work pretty well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:24pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some nice eaters there, but what really impresses is how well set up your kayak and gear stowage is. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:00pm
Gold
Gold

When I lose the CFC I promise to send Shane two chocolate fish if he promises to give one of them to HY as a snapper slayer award.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:33pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m gonna try to get out on Friday arvo/evening. Saturday is looking a bit fresh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:47pm
Gold
Gold

#MeToo
Good luck T. Hopefully the weather plays ball. Still a bit dicey but heck they got the forecasts wrong heaps lately.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:20pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Happy to deliver chocolate fish KF but suspect I’ll be the second place on this.
Am going off catching kings, that might not be there with someone who might not hook them.
Especially now on cusp of real deal off here as far as kayak fishing goes (for me anyway) and that is “drum roll” .... GURNARD FISHiNG ...sort of pinnacle of Kayak angling  (if simply defining it by challenge of catching the big ones and their superb eating quality) and with the odd big snapper as by catch.

Hoping those anchovies, kahawai and ravenous 40cm snaps bugger off and we can get down to the serious business of catching the beautiful pectoral wing, horny headed, crab munchers.
Yellowtail macks welcome to stick around as provide a good bait supply for gunnies and large snaps , plus odd big winter JD on bottom livies. 
But main quarry is the succulent gurnard, easily caught and perfect fried.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:38pm
Gold
Gold

Hahaha. If they can tow the yak around like a kingi, count me in, otherwise I'd rather eat worms. Seems ages since I've had a good, 30min or more sleigh ride. Might even tow a big kahawai around McGregor if the weather allows. Even a shark is better than a carrot, especially if I get to test the potential moonshot rod and reel.

But good luck on the G-mans.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Practise catching lots of big sharks. Kf.. it will help you in your quest.  Just keep fingers away from their sharp teeth when releasing. You’ll need those fingers for next summer. Sounds like marlin left oceans early this year.
Be big gurnard that tows a yak, we tend to anchor as well. But imagine one that grows to 30 lb Kingi size would burn your fingers on a little Alvey pretty good and probably result in a capsize from an anchored yak. Thank god they only run to maybe 50cms off here,  and my biggest to date is only 47cm.
Would love to crack that mark this year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:40am
Gold
Gold

Yeah, that's the general thought process. It starts with 'oh ****, not again' when the livie zigs and zags like they do when a shark is after them, then the weight comes on and head shakes confirm it, and it takes a few seconds until 'training' pops up in my head and I get in the groove while checking the knife is still on my PFD.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:44am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 12:07pm
Gold
Gold

Nice one M.
Lasted about 1/2 hr out there this morning. Was lumpy with no action other than kahawai that were doing weird jumps. Not normal or when being chased but kinda tail walking, but slower and with mainly just their heads and upper bodies out of the water. I dunno - maybe it was how they spawn? Thought there must be some predators taking advantage of them while they were distracted doing whatever they were doing, but I couldn't find said predators. With wind picking up I threw in the towel with just one large kahawai caught and released.

On the plus side, my braid arrived. Jesus H, it's thin. Almost had a heart attack when opened the package and saw "25lb". Who knew there were different ways around the world to rate fishing line? 25lb is the "world spec" - basically how USA rates it - as knotted line strength. But under "EU spec" actual average breaking strength listed in small print as 20.8kg. So I plugged in the line diameter (which is fark'n thin) to google to see what Aus and NZ sellers rate it as and it's listed as 20.8kg. Phew!

-----------
*edit* Now I'm not so sure. Some NZ sellers list .25mm as 30lb and .18mm as 20lb, so that would make this stuff around 25lb. think I may have stuffed up and have 3000m of what's considered here as 25lb even though "actual average" is 20.8kg.

Think will have to throw it on a reel, find a shark and 'go to sunset' on the drag and see what happens.
-----------

Anyone need any cheap 20.8kg new style Kairiki 8 (not the older style S8) .215mm, 20.8kg braid? I've got so much more than I need it's crazy.

To be honest it seems way too thin for the moonshot, but I'll give it a try on a few reels and see how it wears.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 2:58pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:04pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks like you had a good snapper session M.
I was out this morning, it was my last session before I return to Oz. The swell was a challenge today, but there were plenty of boil ups to chase with lots of big Kahawai and a few snapps tagging along, I got my bag of eaters and didn't turtle in the swell so it was a successful mission, if not comfortable. A clever Kahawai uncliped my long suffering Bruised Banana Zman, the one I super glued to the head, I hope the blighter can digest it, clips are convenient but Kahawai have a way of messing with them.
  I'm going to miss the gurnard harvest this year, if last year is an indication they'll be here in a fortnight, and my dropper rigs will be hanging up in the shed. I shall have to follow Shane's posts waxing lyrically over their 'beautiful pectoral wings' hehe.

Page  <1 785786787788789 849>