Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 784785786787788 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:57pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yum.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 9:14pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was squidding off the rocks near Waiwera this afternoon just before sunset, and a very solid king followed my jig to my feet. I’m talking 20kg+. Squidding was ok, got 3 but still pretty small. Worth eating, just.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:55am
Gold
Gold

Good to know the big units are still around. Have you ever prospected that coastline between Hatfields and Wairewa? Wondered for a while if it holds anything worth the effort. Looks fishy.

Kermit needs some TLC so will be dropping it off in Silverdale next week and am wondering if I should go for a paddle somewhere around there when I pick it up. There's a rocky bay on the Northern side of that point on the Northern side of Hatfields that maybe is a good place for kings to push baitfish into. Just an idea that found a place in my brain about 15 years ago and I have yet to follow up.

Anyone keen for a session prospecting out that way in a few weeks?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:02pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not really, I have launched at waiwera and towed livebaits north to saddle but no hits (haven't tried that hard). Some spearo mates of mine shoot the odd king in the mouth of Waiwera and Wenderholm estuaries.

I'd be keen for a paddle for sure, work permitting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 3:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 4:56pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went for half a harvest today, a family member called the shark wanted some snapper.
I tried out my super glued  Zmas for the occasion, and they stayed on the hook...I'll stick with it:)
 There was a SW and a W for most of the time, and the wind was going against the tide, it got a bit squally. I stuck close to shore and could hear the chippy's nail guns and the mental little dogs at Campbells. Still I had fun with my 1-2kg Abu Garcia rod, it wasn't what I was looking for but I bought it because I like a bargain, it was half price, it's a bit too light but it's fun on the little snapps.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:58pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:44pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice feed there, good stuff 👌
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 2:15pm
Gold
Gold

kF might enjoy this clip of a Kiwi yakker landing a Blue Marlin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:57pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

kF might enjoy this clip of a Kiwi yakker landing a Blue Marlin.

That was a good watch.
One thing it repeatedly demonstrated was the awkwardness created by the rod twisting due to it not being seated in a gimbal.  Something for kF to work on.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:40pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think it’s a striped marlin...may be wrong... but awesome all the same.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:56am
Gold
Gold

I think you're right Shane, despite the support boat and the fisherman identifying the fish as a Blue Marlin out at sea, the Waihau Bay Sports Fishing Club board agrees with you, it identifies the fish as a Stripped Marlin.
Just a perfect day...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:10pm
Gold
Gold

Mr T, will keep you posted about days and hopefully it works for you.

HY, Looks like you made the most of that calm weather, glad someone did, and thanks for that video. I have been wondering when that was going to be uploaded. Have only just started watching it.

80 lb braid seems like overkill, but perhaps for the abrasion resistance?

I'll stick to the nitta cable tie bridles - less mucking around than that.

That blue water seems close.

No anti-chafing sleeve near the hook on those pre-made traces? Not worth it when the line is already 250lb?

Cush-it rod butt padding or gimbal of some sort seems needed. I wonder if a fibreglass kayak can get a few mods/reinforcement to have a wee nook or swivelling gimbal glassed into the deck to seat the rod butt. It wouldn't get in the way of anything else. 

That's a heavy action 24kg rod but it's loaded up heaps. I was thinking of a moderate action rod, but that heavy action is so loaded it seems to be looking like what I thought a moderate action rod would be. :-)

Could that rod use another guide?

Plenty of fight under the yak. I really thought that thing would have taken more line and stayed out for longer. Perhaps after the fight the day before Greg worked out what the gear and his systems could handle and was much more comfortable with getting over the top of it so early on.

That was a hairy moment when he pushed to get the leader on the reel and the fish bounces between sides of the yak. That would have ended badly if I had been in his place ;-)

Towards the end he gets railed a fair bit. Is that point-loading the rod? Worth looking at a rod with more foregrip foam so it reaches to the rail of the yak if need be? Maybe a few strips of foam on the yak rails to take the rod if need be? Or maybe some padding under the leg/knee to keep the thigh up a little higher when well into the fight and are stuffed?

I must say that's a wonderful video depicting the sorts of loads in a fight like that. That's more than I have ever experienced apart from a few minutes  of trying to bust off sharks from time to time. How does one even prepare for 3 hours of that? I dunno!

Near the end he says he's on max drag and it's still pulling string. So, that's 18kgs of drag on that reel. He's cautious not to have that high a drag when it's under the yak or fresh and still capable of massive speed bursts though, but still interesting to note there's a time and place for the high drag, even from a yak.

I'm not sure I'd want my FG knot to be coming and going so many times under those sorts of loads. Would have to be very good at timing the moment it comes passed the rod tip so it's as unloaded as possible. I try to do that now but we are only talking little (by comparison) sharks and kings and not anywhere near the loads or not anywhere near the frequency. Perhaps hollow core would be the better option than solid braid?

Bloody big shout out to the skipper that shadowed Greg, gaffed and landed the fish. He made memories that will last lifetimes.

Oh, and FA, I am working out with that seller on trademe a day and time to collect the rod and reel. I don't think it's right for me, but the deal seemed too good to pass up. If I don't want it, and if it's as good as he says, do you want it? You get first dibs ;-) Thanks again for the suggestion. I've got family coming over from Aus soon so if you want the reel I can get them to bring it back and send it to you when they get back there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 5:45pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was good to see ya Dan .. yes a Diawa Legalis 6000,which apparently came out Diawa show room (Demo model) so story goes, was  on special at H&F Constellation for $120. Love getting good stuff cheap. Anyone wanting saltist stardrag overhead for kings should also have a look in there.

Legalis looks to be nice little strayline reel, actually not much bigger than other  400 sized reels, but load more capacity. Spooled it with 15lb nylon but could easily take another 130m of pe 2 braid on top if I want to flick a few lures or softies. Plan is to use it so as to spare my dedicated smaller softbait outfits the odd time we cast a few strayline baits from boat.
Will stick to my trusty 200 CalcuttaD overhead when stray lining  from yak. Still me most used reel, along with the gurnard slaying little alvey...that little alvey I’m sure was talking to me in garage this arvo... something about “wanting to go out in yak in next week or so.”
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 6:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 6:47pm
Gold
Gold

Ha. It's kinda fun working out which cheapies perform well. $80 spent on a still unused aquatip (why do I need it when the mighty eclipses do the business so well?) is the most I've paid for a new rod, so far. $40 or $4000, as long as it brings a smile to one's dial, that's all that counts.

I collected the trademe deal today, thanks again FA for the heads-up. Shimano 24kg triton and fin nor marquesa MA20 reel. Haven't really had a good look at it yet but I doubt the reel has the line capacity for the moonshot, just couldn't pass it up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:02pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Possibly not a bad option for your moonshot as reel and rod, marquesas a solid reel and should have the capacity... just matter making sure she’s all working right especially the drag.
KF my alvey gurnard reel been using last 5 or 6 years, real favourite was purchased for $30 (or less can’t remember may be closer to $20) in second hand shop in Wellington. Is Bakelite , over 60 years old at a guess. I’m very careful with it, can never be dropped.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:23pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers Shane. I recall my garage-sale-ing dad coming home from way too many weekend fossicking adventures with "bargain" Alveys. I bet if I looked in his shed there'd be a stack of 'em somewhere.

Will have to get the triton rod on a good shark or two and see how it feels. The carpark test makes me feel perhaps a bit too soft, but that's coming from a position of greenhorn ignorance - kinda like feeling around in the dark for the light switch.

Might wait for the 45lb braid to arrive and see what I can get on the reel. Thinking about a braid topshot now too and just a mono bite leader. Might help a little with line capacity if needed. I might have to pester swordfishsteve at some point.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep  just checked over 500m  (530m or possibly up 600m depending on diameter) of pe5 . Should be fine on your slay ride. 
Steve will help you , he does some very fine very strong Dynena wind ons that will sit on your reel very flat and nice, which by looks of that video will be important in end game with leader coming on and off reel.
Page  <1 784785786787788 849>