Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 780781782783784 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:37pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

It was a lot of fun fishing today, it was the hottest I've seen Campbells and Mirangi Bay fish, there were sustained boil ups for hours. I caught and released more than a dozen large Kahawai, only one was small enough to use as a live bait, but it got snagged. I caught almost everything on a single Zman bruised banana, until a large kahawai managed to pull the line through my soft bait clip, then I put on a new penny.
I did catch one rat Kingi which was over 60cm, but I saw  a lot of big ones today, the big Kingies were busting up on the surface and following the large Kahawai's to the yak, they didn't want my soft bait  though, or perhaps  the Kahawai got there first. I threw back a dozen legal snapps, but  I think the biggest I got today was only 43cm. The anchovies were in the Bay and the place was just wild, and I was the only person fishing:)

Well done Dave. Great haul and good to hear few good kingis about. Nice JD. Im up north back tomorrow. Have day off tempted to have a look but think weather will cut up. Didnt catch any marlin again. Saw one caught in front me last night. Hooked up 200 meters inside me. Was so close but no cigar.

Few seals around.
Also got this shot. Marlin chasing bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:25am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

At least you were where they are Shaneg. That's doing a heap better than many if not most. Gotta just be a matter of time if you are already in the right spots. I won't ask where that was, but was wondering the other day if they come in fairly close at night to feed, given they must have pretty good eyesight and mullet are sometimes found in their stomachs.

Do you know what bait that marlin was chasing? Every now and then when I catch a big kahawai I'll stick a big circle in it and tow it around to get a feel for towing bigger livies. Have been told marlin will take smaller baits too, but I figure it is good to get used to towing bigger baits from the kayak just in case a skippy is all I can find. A kahawai isn't going to mimic it very well, bc the KY are reasonably subdued when towed, but just getting a feel for the weight and drags needed. I can feel the bigger ones pulling the stern around a bit and I was thinking about what you guys were telling me a few posts back - will I feel a billfish swiping to maim the bait. Am not sure I will be able to distinguish that from general livie movements. Perhaps will only feel it get a bit spooked just before it gets hit.

Oh, and service guys are saying nothing wrong with the newer speedmasters, so, top of the wish list they go, except seems like they are made of unobtanium and almost every store is sold out. Was hoping to get one to play with and get used to over Winter.

*edit* hangs head in shame.* The other day when I took the neighbour out I thought he got sharked. I saw his rod load up with a good fish and it looked like the line went ping. I didn't stop to check it out at the time bc the water was erupting around us, wind had just got up and I wanted to get him on a kingi ASAP, so as soon as I landed mine and paddled over I put another livie on my rod and swapped with his.

Well, given that he is keen and capable, I headed to the shed this morning to clean up a rod and reel combo he can call his own and took a look at the sharked line. No trace left, and I can see a few flattened type of spirals in the end of the braid. First time I've ever tied a bad Fg knot...and it had to be when someone else was going to use it and miss their first ever 'big' fish. I've already tendered a grovelling apology.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 10:18am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Too bad you didn't get a marlin this time Shane, but a day out on the ocean fishing is a hell of a day:) 
'the human being is on the planet in order to appreciate it, that's all'
Bummer about your FG knot kF, but I'd guess the next one you tie is going to be the best one ever.
I'm going back to Melbourne in a couple of weeks, so there will be no more fishing for me for a while... but I'll be following both of you fellows marlin adventures. If you catch a marlin from a kayak fK, you will receive a special Yakkers  Balls of Steel award.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 1:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

KF bait Marlin were chasing could a been few different types... as in weekend I saw all types  in one large  area. There were anchovies , sauries, skippies ( both small ones, and super sized ones) and blue koheru... (went over one very big school of thoseJ , and large flying fish were also around. Marlin will eat baits of all sizes.  Part of problem was the marlin with so much bait are likely well fed not so interested in lures. I livebaited  in afternoon both sunday and yesterday and towed lures in morning. Used a big skippy on Sunday and a small skippy yesterday. No hits and likely wrong area, slowed trolled them, outboard just in gear.
Was fishing mainly area around home point/ bland bay , oakura area.
Should of turned right when left tutukaka harbour yesterday, they were catching quite a few marlin off Taihuru and Ocean beach yesterday... some on lures and some on baits... kahawai seemed favoured livey but were reports of skippy schools down there as well, and lots workups 90 to 100 meter depth.

Dave, you need to get out before you go and catch one those bigger kings.
Hopefully see you back in NZ again soon, although the resident snapper population here may not concur. Drop by for beer sometime beore you go. Cheers Shane

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 3:00pm
Gold
Gold

It's a big "if" HY but will at least try next Summer. There's protein in Melbourne, so I look forward to the pics from across the ditch.

*edit* Tasline moved all their gear over to Melbourne a while ago so your mission, should you choose to accept it, is track down the factory and see if there are any back-door deals going down at the factory, so you can hook up us another mother brothers here in NZ. ;-)
Oh, and I second Shane's suggestion of hooking to a green bullet before you go. If the weather improves and you want to try up here, it'll be an honour to at least try to put you onto them up here, but no guarantees as it seems like most of them are down your way lately.

Thanks for that info Shane. Great the baitfish are still around. Hopefully that gives the marlin a reason to stick around long enough for you to get back amongst them. Hopefully the wind keeps the warm water around a while longer.

Hopefully if you zag instead of zig next time, they wont bloody zig instead of zagging. I wonder if a series of day-break drone flights to spot the bait and a subscription service to the info might save a few skippers and the odd nutcase kayaker a heap of time.

Regarding the speedmaster reels, I've been considering the 12 instead of 16 model. The newer kairiki 8 braid (even thinner than the SX8) will, if the online reel capacity indicator I've used can be believed, will allow about 1000m or even more of 45lb on the 12.

It looks like the guts of the 12 and 16 models are the same anyway, so if the line capacity is 1000m I might as well just go for the slightly cheaper and lighter 12 model. One thing though - if I ever get on a boat, there are no harness lugs on the speedmasters. Not sure if that's a deal-breaker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:45pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wouldn’t worry too much about no harness lugs KF. Your probably going to want leash rod from yak that should be enough security. You also have rod holders handier than any boat in yak. Could always place rod in those if need to let go for some reason. Lighter smaller reel probably best as long as retain at least 800m capacity for chosen line weight. Pe5 is almost impossible to break from boat let alone yak . Pe4 probably ample, and as long as not too fine, as need some abrasion resistance from other school fish and surface weed during fight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:11pm
Gold
Gold

Would never have thought of kelp or schoolfish. Thanks for that. I think I may have stuffed up as have just ordered 3000m of Kairiki 8 45lb that is just .215mm thick. Was going to use it on every reel I've got. Overkill for some reels but a good chunk of it would get used on the moonshot reel.

I'll make a point of dragging a few kingis and kahawai through the weeds, or ensure they do the same to me, and see how it holds up. I've loved how the thinner stuff cuts through the weeds like a hot wire through foam, but I think if I put a months worth of fights together it would still not add up to one marlin fight. So, perhaps I've gone too thin and will need to buy a thicker braid. Might put off the choice of reel until I can play with the braid a little more - because if it's too thin, the 12 model of speedmaster won't be big enough to accommodate enough thicker braid.

Whilst a bit of a rookie mistake, it's bloody great to have this addressed before next Summer so thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 12:07am
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

It looks like the guts of the 12 and 16 models are the same anyway, so if the line capacity is 1000m I might as well just go for the slightly cheaper and lighter 12 model.

The Speedmaster II 12 is 20gms lighter than the 16 and $10 cheaper in my neck of the woods.  Line capacity is of the 12 is 145yds less than the 16.  The small weight and price comparisons seem rather insignificant to me.  Whilst my personal preference would be a Talica if your choice is the Speedmasters then the 16 will provide you with other topshot options if you use the Kairiki 8 45lb as a backing.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 8:58am
Gold
Gold

Thanks FA. Talica seem like the ducks nuts, but about $250 more and I'm trying to keep a lid on th costs. Maybe a good, used Talica 12 II or 16 II will surface between now and next Summer. The thought was to buy some gear now though to spread the expenses over a longer period (less noticeable :-) and get used to it over Winter. The future $5k or so on the moonshot kayak is gonna sting and might trigger a moratorium on further  spending.

It might be just ignorance talking but I quite like the idea of a narrower reel too - so the 12 if it has the capacity seems preferable to the 16.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 2:08pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone heading out tomorrow morning? Looks like ~10 knots SW, should be OK with the outgoing tide. Low tide at 10.30 so there will be plenty of current at sunrise - which I like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 2:12pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 2:29pm
Gold
Gold

Yes T, neighbour and I are on a mish to get him a kingi, so will be out on sunrise. Been pretty quiet out there the last few days so hopefully it picks up for him tomorrow.

*edit* am getting multiple reports the hoodlums are down your way in numbers. I hope you guys get amongst them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 4:43pm
Gold
Gold

I went for a paddle this morning and tried some live baiting, the first Mac got taken by a mystery fish which made the reel scream and then spat out the large circle hook, the next one got taken by a smallish Kahawai, which became the next livie, but he swam about for a while with no takers. I didn't see the big Kings on the surface today  like they were on Monday.
 I decided to soft bait for the rest of my session, I reached one large boil up that scored me a Kahawai, a big Trev and a snapp. I had the Trev on board and took the hook out of its mouth, it was the biggest one I've caught, but he flicked his tail and was gone, good luck to him.
I lost count of how many large Kahawai I released, the boil ups were moving fast, from 50m off shore to a 1km out to sea.
April is a fun time to fish the Bays, I hope the poor little anchovies or what's left of them, stick around for another week, chasing the boil ups in my yak is doing wonders for my fitness.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 4:58pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 5:18pm
Gold
Gold

Work can rudely interrupt ones day, yes, but kayak fishing is a good tonic for everything:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 2:27pm
Gold
Gold

Nice one yet again HY.

Pretty windy out there today when it filled in a few hours after sunrise. Neighbour is continuing his education with a few key lessons. He hooked a shark but not knowing the difference between them and kingfish, fought it for 40 mins, getting blown offshore amongst the white caps. He was very patient with the mystery big fish but after we got about 1.5ks offshore with the offshore wind increasing all the time I was hoping the fight would be over one way or the other soonish.

I had hooked up to the stern of his kayak and was paddling shoreward, dragging him ever so slowly, by this stage. I turned my head to see him side on to the fish and he didn't remember to back the drag off and it dragged him over and into the water in an instant.

So, here we are, over 1.5ks off shore, getting blown further offshore, he's capsized and one hand on the upturned kayak, the other still holding the rod and he was remarkably calm about it all, thankfully. I grab the rod off him so he can concentrate on getting upright and collecting the flotsam. I gently put some tension on to feel the weight of this fish and straight away had my suspicions confirmed by its movements and weight.

I decide play time is over, it's getting too serious, so as much as I would have liked him to at least see his 40-50kg (maybe bigger) shark I make the call to either bring this bastid thing the last 10m it was refusing to come or bust it off trying so we could start trying to get back to land.

A few minutes and one too many head shakes later it finally breaks the line and we are free to turn our bows into the 15+kn offshore and after about 30 mins we are close enough to land I can see people and we are getting enough reduction in the wind in the shadow from the land to start a convo. I mention we've got one livie left if he wants another crack.

Dude's hooked because you betcha he wanted another crack, despite the dunking, busted off shark, thumping into the wind for the last 30+ minutes, etc. We deploy said livie once we get closer into the coast and I stay on livie catching duty mainly to stay close to him in case he actually hooks anything and the whole scenario goes full circle with him being blown/dragged out to sea again. There were no takers and the wind was still building, gusting 20kn so we made the call to bash our way back to the car.

Was an interesting trip and still the first kingi eludes him. But at least we know he and the rod I sorted for him are up for a good scrap, and he's not one to panic when falling out, etc. I had hoped he'd be a bit more spooked, just so I know he doesn't have a false sense of security but so far nothing seems to phase him and he's as keen as mustard for a Monday kingi hunt if the weather cooperates.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 3:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 4:03pm
Gold
Gold

That's might neighborly of you fK's, your fishing adventures in 20 knot winds hunting King fish have got it all. 
But it makes me think,  if one had issues with their neighbor, having them capsize in shark infested heavy seas could be the solution:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 5:29pm
Gold
Gold

I agree M, he scored credit points with me for that effort and the way he handled it. Makes me want to put him on a kingi even more now.

Hey HY, this series of newbie kingi hunt trip reports do seem to have almost everything...except him landing a kingi. Hmmm, you know, if only I could convince the neighbour on the other side to come fishing with me and feed him to the fishes, the world would be a better place. ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 10:36am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good read KF. Glad everyone ok and live  to fight another day. 
I’m looking forward to getting out tomorrow but will be in boat. Kayak not getting much use of late. And also taken to piper fishing from shore which having a lot of fun with. Had success yesterday arvo and likely fit in another couple of hours this arvo. If I don’t eat them all I might be able to take few more piper for bait.
Page  <1 780781782783784 849>