Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 779780781782783 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:17am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes FA  talica would be good choice , a boat I fish on sometimes, has 2x talica25s, which replaced his tiagra 80s , kept his 2 x tiagra 50s . Talica certainly nice reel and also do job , no arguments there. They sorted slipped my mind, must be the craft beer been having tonight. And for price should be superior choice. Pretty hard to break a TLD though.
One thing I do wonder with this having kayaked fish regularly for quite a few years is how much sustained pressure you will actually be able to apply. Hence can’t see higher drag pressures being that useable in yak... maybe wrong, and too conservative on that. But you’d definitely want smooth reel not too big but with plenty of capacity. 
And with gimbal and fighting stance some way of maximising comfort and ease in what is probably going to be long fight. It’s not as though you can drive up alongside fish in yak either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 9:17am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks fellas. Great to be narrowing things a down a bit. I'll only get a few shots each Summer so it looks like the speedmaster will be the go. I've emailed a few service guys if any speedmasters have come through yet and what they are seeing as potential issues to keep in mind.

Thanks for the offer of that SS gimbal Shane. I'm going to think on that a bit more and might experiment with a few things but may take you up on it. I can't weld SS so if I can beat it into submission instead, great. Will get back to you on that one. I'm comfortable enough with the rod butt stuck under a thigh, arm, or into the foam of my PFD, but that's only on 1/2 hr fights, so imagine it will be a completely different world of pain after the first hour and minor irritations become painful big black bruises by the end of the 2nd hour if not done right to start with.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 7:52am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Popped out off Army yesterday afternoon. Lots of sign starting from about 9m - got comprehensively out-fished my Mr R. Holder, he was using a 40g slider in Bruised Banana. Nothing big but kept 4, all around 40cm

I was softbaiting and didn't land anything legal...

Interestingly the deeper I drifted, the less snapper I hooked. Lots of anchovies being harassed by medium-sized kahawai in amongst the floating seaweed in a current line in ~17m - I was wishing I had brought livebaiting gear as the kahawai were perfect livebait size.

Headed back in just on dusk and was glad I did, as there was not a lot of sand left to land the kayak on next to the ramp - wonder if the NE blow eroded things a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 9:30am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pretty glad I didn't go out on Saturday, it would have been pretty nasty out there.

Managed to go for a quick mish on Sunday morning up Mahurangi way. Filled my bin with pannies by 9am and went home. 

All caught drifting the channel on outgoing tide. Trailing softbaits on the bottom, and actively fishing microjigs. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 11:30am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:48pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Nice one boys.

Been watching the reports - great to see Clap
Have had some trouble with my account and not been able to reply. Grant sorted it for me, so hopefully share some fishing trips again and reports in the near future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Borrowed a Malibu II XL off a mate, gonna take my daughter fishing on Sunday arvo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 10:00am
Gold
Gold

Good luck T.
Am taking a friend fishing on Monday, weather permitting. she's a strong kayaker but never fished. I hope to put her on a kingi and cry laughing at the carnage.

Tomorrow morning perhaps the go too. Neighbour has been making noises about me taking him out so might tick that one off the to-do list.will try to put him on some little kahawai in the estuary at slack-water. Best get a feel for what he's like in a kayak. I remain to be convinced he's up for stronger currents, winds, fish. A wet bus ticket might bowl him over. But life is full of surprises...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

This is what happens when I am stuck at home on a windy day. Converted $190 into enough terminal tackle to last me the rest of the year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:17am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 1:10pm
Gold
Gold

Not sure what universal law it is but whenever I take someone fishing I'm the one that catches the fish. took neighbour out, just got home. We both got into the bait fish with our pen lures, then I set him up to livebait, put a fish on, pointed him in the right direction and carried on catching livebait until the makeshift livewell could take no more and keep them alive. Then I joined him slow trolling and decided to stay out of his way and head to a slightly different location from my normally productive spot, and wammo, fish on. 10 minutes later just as I'm ID-ing it as a kingi I see his rod load up...for about 10 seconds then ping. Sharked. wind got up right at that moment and it was time to come in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 4:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work - the mighty eclipse strikes again.

Imogen and I tied up to one of the 200m marker buoys off tindalls bay. I set her pink shimano combo up with a 1oz sinker sitting straight on top of a black magic KL5/0 hook. Wrapped a cube of pilchard in bait cotton and she cast it out. Straight away she hooked up to a feisty little snapper. She repeated the process several times until her arms got tired, so I got a turn while she ate lollies. Lots of small fish around, but kept a nice 40cm which will be dinner tomorrow night. The wind was more westerly than forecast so it was blowing straight in, we both started to get cold after about an hour so we paddled back to the ramp.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:28pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 6:51pm
Gold
Gold

Nice one T and Imogen (the snapper slayer).

Yes T, I'm going to have to build a pool room so the mighty eclipse can go straight to it, when it has caught its last monster.What a special rod this one has turned out to be.

*edit* forgot to mention that kingi had a very full tummy. There were 3 x 6" kahawai plus it tried to cram my 10" livie in there too.

Also were a few large kahawai around and one took a livie and threw up anchovies and squid at the yak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:17pm
Gold
Gold

Do you lot have more than one strength braid? I have been using 30 and 50lb and realistically, the 30lb is fine for almost everything except next Summer's moonshot. So, I'm thinking of standardising on 40lb on all reels, including the moonshot reel (when that gets bought). This way, I can buy a 3000m reel and hopefully it'll work out cheaper that way.

But it got me wondering how many different strengths you guys and gals use and on what reels?

50lbs seems overkill and potentially dangerous. Had a bad experience trying to break 50lb tasline off once. I can bust 30lb line if need to. Not sure about 40lb as have never used it. 40lb will not drop the line capacity too much on any reels that currently have 30lb.

Although, maybe I should stick to the two-braid plan and make it 20/40lb? I almost got spooled on a 5000 sized spin reel using 30lb today. Had to make a call to either grab the spool as smoothly as I could or watch the line vanish for the second time in as many weeks, so I chose to grab it but wasn't smooth enough and ripped the bait out of the jumbo fish's mouth. :-(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:15pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It was a lot of fun fishing today, it was the hottest I've seen Campbells and Mirangi Bay fish, there were sustained boil ups for hours. I caught and released more than a dozen large Kahawai, only one was small enough to use as a live bait, but it got snagged. I caught almost everything on a single Zman bruised banana, until a large kahawai managed to pull the line through my soft bait clip, then I put on a new penny.
I did catch one rat Kingi which was over 60cm, but I saw  a lot of big ones today, the big Kingies were busting up on the surface and following the large Kahawai's to the yak, they didn't want my soft bait  though, or perhaps  the Kahawai got there first. I threw back a dozen legal snapps, but  I think the biggest I got today was only 43cm. The anchovies were in the Bay and the place was just wild, and I was the only person fishing:)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:43pm
Gold
Gold

Now THAT is a trip report. Nice one HY!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:09pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:33pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nicely done HY. Great to see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:40pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nike one Hard Yakker, especially with the JD

A few of us fished NN yesterday, was really hard going, just 3 keepers for me on zman paddletail shiner colour & a very old 25g grim reaper jig I bought in the early 90s, new micro hook from kaveman
The fish were around the bait schools when the bird activity was long gone, lots of kahawai around on the surface, none hooked
Page  <1 779780781782783 849>