Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 777778779780781 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 1:11pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks S. I've not used a stink bait, softbait, jig or micro jig since the start of Summer. The only lure I use are ones like this, for catching livebait:

I'm trying to introduce a new fad called livebaiting. It's like softbaiting but with an automatic, life-like action that mimics a fleeing baitfish.

:-)

Have a plan to wait until micro-jigs are out of fashion then hit that really hard and see how many different species I can catch on 'em. So have been taking note of what consistent performers like HY are using. But next Summer is gonna be all about the tuna and marlin hunt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 3:00pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sweet as a nut. So the BIC pen lure you mentioned was an actual BIC pen. Classic. The eye of the hook looks like an actual eye. So have you hooked a king on one of these ? Or just your livebaits? When you do enter your micro-jig phase I’ve been sticking stuff onto the ultra cheap ones. I usually buy good sharp gamukatsu hooks then cut a few strips off an old kabura skirt or thin strips from a cycled tube, then wind them onto the nose with some bait string or dental floss. Sometimes I paint some shiz on the sides if I’m feeling flash. They look like prawns and work great and cost about 6 bucks. I’ll try and post a picture later if you’re interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:06pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah, bought a 10-pack of pens for about $10 at the start of Summer and still have a few left. Haven't landed a kingi on them yet but they'd be, along with jumbo kahawai, prime suspects those times the line or hook has busted.

A few Summers back we had a holiday 'ridiculous lure' comp. The pen lure was quite the revelation and I've used it ever since.

Yes please, very keen to learn what's working for you and and on what. Especially if it's a cheap, DIY version that's lethal, and it always warms my contrarian heart if it flies in the face of accepted norms ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:26pm
Gold
Gold

That's why I wrote I was trying to start a livebaiting fad. It's amazing how things get so old they are new again (to the next generation anyway).

On another forum, I was told about the wrigleys chewing gum foil wrapper lure so added it to a pen lure with good success.

Been meaning to try strips of white cotton tied to a hook. thanks for the reminder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:57pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The wind was blowing about 20km from the west and the tide was going south, it was an uncomfortable day, the fish were hard to find, I might have done better anchoring and using bait today. The westerly blew me way out into the no fishing zone, I expected a helicopter with a loud speaker to appear. 'Put your hands above your head and get out of your kayak'. 
The upside is I got dinner, so the suburban hunter gatherer  gets to eat again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:00pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:05pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This custom one I mentioned just before is the most productive lure I have. I brought a tiny roll of holographic foil and used the wife’s nail varnish to stick it to the lure. It’s lasted ages. Longer than most commercial ones I have brought. The slithers of Kabura skirt wiggle under water and look like shrimp. Snapper love this thing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:47pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sanchez that’s a great looking lure. Had success this weekend on similar things. Making our own concosions of odds and sods of slider heads and different tassels. Best fish was 10 pounder in 8 meters of water under working birds. But we’re catching them in 6 meters on jigs and assortment of hard lures, including a lucky bottom ship style wife uses even in the shallows.  We actually seldom bother with softies if can get em on jigs..
Hardyakker well done on snaps, good haul.
Muppet sorry to hear you lost that  king as weren’t many around there in those parts this weekend. We lost a whole large kahawai rig complete with one of my favourite sinkers in rocks near Leigh outpost.
Kingifidla, like your lure choice and keep the livebaiting fad to yourself.  It has never caught on with even among  the gamefish fellas. We all love shiny frilly plastic. Livebaiting is the way us true fisherman can keep catching special fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:52pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I didn't end up taking the kayak out this morning, woke up with a stiff neck and a headache. Went for a local squid session just before dusk with a mate - got 3 between us but pretty shy on the bite. Will wait another month before I hit that spot again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:20am
Gold
Gold

Nice one, HY. Well done for still producing the protein in average to ugly conditions.

Wow, that looks great S. I bet it's a great feeling of accomplishment even just getting a hit on a DIY lure so it being  a star performer is fantastic. So I guess that's five highs - nail polish fumes, getting hits, landing fish, saving $, learning or expanding luremaking skills. Is the foil like that on the foil wrapped lures we can buy, that seems to last a fair while, unlike paint?

Shane, I promise to tone it down lest every person and HY's dog start livebaiting.

M, tanks is one of the reasons I'm saving for a Stealth. But am still not sure if it will fit a few big kahawai and keep them alive, and I haven't yet seen anyone drop a skippy tube into it :-) 

*edit* Hope you are feeling better T. Had something similar a few days ago but cleared up in a day. A bit strange but glad it didn't hang around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:16am
Gold
Gold

Shane, is anyone having success chasing marlin with deadbaits (not pitching but skip/trolling) with kahawai or mullet or even piper? Wondering if it might be a better option for the kayak moonshot next year, especially if can't find a bait. But I guess if there's no bait in the area there's less chance of a marlin anyway and probably increases chance of hooking sharks?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:45pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kingifiddla contrary to popular belief marlin will take deadbaits just like kings do sometimes. The most popular method to deadbait is with skipbaits ( kahawai, in  old days trevs, or grey mullet)  or these days bait and switch with a dead koheru.
A very reliable source (old Rex from good ship Bluefin ( boat is still in Tuts ...Rex had caught lot of marlin over many years) told me that easy way to catch a marlin on bait balls when livies were scarce, was to drop a nose hooked grey mullet on top of one.  I can’t see why that won’t work on a marlin from a kayak. Although possibly need few around feeding but at least would allow you to paddle round and be mobile to find fish. Moving as little as 50 meters can make all the difference if fish is up and feeding , which a lively in water will compromise bit in a yak, or even in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 12:49pm
Gold
Gold

Thank you Shane. Worth giving it more thought for sure. Nice to have a few different options.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 1:44pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have no first hand experience of fishing for marlin in NZ or fishing from a kayak but it appears to me that your striped marlin and sailfish on occasions show similar feeding tendencies.  Sails will often cruise behind a trolled bait swatting it back and forth with their bills like a windscreen wiper.  The best way to hook up was as soon as a sail was seen swatting a bait we would cut the throttle and let the baits sink with the reels now in close to free spool.  The sail(s) would then pick up the dead bait as they sank.  Give them 20m or so of line and start increasing the drag.  The dead baits were large garfish.  Let's face it when a billfish swats a fish with its bill they don't expect it continue swimming at 5 knots.  They are expecting to stun the fish which is what cutting the throttle replicates.  
One of the problems of fishing from a kayak would be that you are low on the water and facing forward so you wouldn't have a good view of what's going on behind you.  Casting a dead bait into a bait ball may be easier.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:12pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah, great points, thanks FA. If it's a livebait, can certainly feel when it is spooked and I often stop paddling and wait to see what, if anything, the livie does next. But wouldn't get that sort of feedback if trolling a deadbait but might feel it being knocked around but might depend on how much line is out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 4:45pm
Gold
Gold

I dug out my rain coat this morning, one of the weather prophets saw rain coming, but the coat wouldn't go round my middle, it must have shrunk? 
Whatever it was a good thing as it didn't rain, it was perfectly calm and sunny, and a nice day for a paddle.
 I couldn't find any fish at Campbells, but I got a few at Mairangi, right in the middle of the Bay at the 10m mark. The mud must taste better there at this time of year.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:30pm
Gold
Gold

Fellas and Fellesses, I think we need some sort of award for HY. Mr consistent?

Nice one HY.

You should know however that your good name is being sullied up here. It's on the side of a not insignificant boat, the skipper of which decided it was too much inconvenience to wait 20 seconds for me to get across the (not very comfortable) bar today and bulldozed his way alongside and passed me as if the two foot wake wasn't going to add significant risk to my bar crossing.

Such were the conditions I had waited 5-10 mins for a significant lull before committing and the only way this skipper could have shown less consideration would have been to mow right over the top of me.

But, and I'm not at all proud to report this, that wasn't the most sketchy or atrocious thing for the morning. That award has to go to a monstrous, for me, kingi that is now trailing over 230m of braid behind it, having spooled me. I'm talking very high 20's through to mid-30kgs.

Despite sneaking inside it (and dangerously close to rocks) before giving it some welly, it wised up after about 50m of heading out to sea and flew straight below the yak to a rock that was almost sucking dry on the larger sets. It found said rock then pulled a sharp right hand turn, secure in the knowledge it had my line snagged under the top ledge of the rock, and ran another 100+m before I could temporarily convince it the risk was over, but that only lasted about 50m or so before it again wised up and reversed course to continue stealing line while I tried to avoid catastrophe against the rocks and staying upright in the swell. No matter what I did or where I paddled around the face of the rock I just could not get the line free and could not convince the kingi to come back to the rock to help me.

During all this I saw the mono backing three different times and eventually had to watch as the last of the 2-trips-old braid disappeared followed by a whimpering ping of the mono.

First time I've ever been spooled and I'd very much welcome any advice how I could have recovered the situation. Any fish dragging that much line is terrible.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 6:13pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 7:05pm
Gold
Gold

That was a mighty fish kF, hopefully lightning strikes twice and you get another crack at it. You have probably had twice your recommend daily dose of adrenaline anyway, which might be good practice for what you are planning...
Page  <1 777778779780781 849>