Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 776777778779780 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 11:42am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 4:52pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thank you very much for that Shane. Sorry for not replying sooner - this site wouldn't let me back on.

The sharks that don't break/bite me off currently, are treated differently based on the species and temperament. I've learned the hard way to not let any Mako get too close to the yak, regardless of size. They sure do go spastic when pricked - it's quite the show. Have never been able to get my hook back on any shark but have cut close to the hook on a few and I'm not yet sure if just working it really hard and hoping the hook pulls is a better or worse outcome for them. I tried that on one and the point of failure was at the line roller on my reel, which means it's dragging 5m of braid until the hook rusts out :-(. Haven't encountered a thresher yet, unless that was the mystery fish that tail slapped the loaded braid after a blistering and seemingly endless first run.

Looks like I'll be shopping for an overhead combo so I can prop the rod on my knee to give arms some brief respite, but it's difficult as a greenhorn to work out what transfers well to a kayak setting and what is overkill given we can only exact about an estimated 10-12kgs of drag (max) on a fish while we are merely passengers on the other end of the line. Also wondering how much line capacity is needed from the reel given we are being towed and can reel ourselves over a fish if it ever slows down enough. But we can't ever really chase down a fish so if it is huge and 10kgs of kayak drag plus a few hundy meters of line (but not much belly because we are generally just towed behind unless the fish changes direction quickly and often) drag isn't gonna tire it out then is there any amount of spool capacity that's going to stop us getting spooled if the fish doesn't ever slow down enough for us to reel ourselves back over to it?

Regardless, unless very lucky and it's in close, smallish and gives up easily, I doubt there's going to be a way of paddling back with the fish. I'll be trialling a few float ideas this Winter though, if only to put that line of inquiry to rest. Can also see how useful, sane, and safe it would be to be dealing with any shark (or any bigger fish for that matter) from a boat rather than kayak. Might even be able to de-hook sharks safely from the boat - I'm going to start experimenting with barbless circle hooks.

A pic of the guy from gpadventures with a marlin, caught on his Viking kayak, was recently posted on FB. Am looking forward to the video and learning more about that.

There is so much to learn and I'm not really sure how to learn some of it without just getting out there and hopefully not getting my arse handed to me on a plate (which, actually, isn't bad as long as my life ain't in danger and I learn a few things as a result). It might be that the sharks I've hooked to date are incredibly placid and I'll wet myself when a huge or aggressive one either comes to check me out or isn't at all happy about me pricking it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 5:05pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There is a 60% chance of a front with lightening coming through tomorrow morning, would that keep you off the water? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 6:48pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I’m gonna go squidding off the shore instead. Don’t trust the forecast. I’ll go on the kayak probably Monday morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 6:58pm
Gold
Gold

I've got some chocolate rabbit stuff to deal with on Sunday, it'll be Monday for me too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:19pm
Gold
Gold

The bar was right on the edge of do-able this evening, but ran out of light waiting for the incoming tide to calm it down a bit. Fingers crossed the predicted 10kn wind stays away tomorrow morning or tends more West than North. That'll be my last shot at a fish for about a week, and it would be great to sneak one in before the holiday hordes arrive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 10:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

The bar was right on the edge of do-able this evening, but ran out of light waiting for the incoming tide to calm it down a bit. Fingers crossed the predicted 10kn wind stays away tomorrow morning or tends more West than North. That'll be my last shot at a fish for about a week, and it would be great to sneak one in before the holiday hordes arrive.

If it doesn't work out, i'm heading to jones bay around 10.30, welcome to join me for a squid or a land based fish. I'll be working my way out towards the point, if nothing there I'll head to ti point for the last of the outgoing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:24pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks T. Made it out, bit choppy, zero fish about, but nice to be on the water anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 5:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

Squid were on the chew until about 2 hours after high tide. Forgot my landing net but managed to get 3 reasonable specimens in the bag. Got drenched when the rain came, was about a 20 minute walk from the car. The hayabusa olive/silver 3.0 working great, seems to be a good colour for day and night. Might buy a few more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 2:59pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 9:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

Popped out off Tindalls this evening for a quick softy session. Hard going - lots of small snapper caught, nothing kept. Thousands of sooty shearwaters diving all over the bay, bit of surface activity but no kahawai caught either.

Trying to decide where to go on Monday morning - the forecast is not as nice as it was earlier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

I think I will launch at Arkles quite early, aim to be fishing by 6am. Taking a second SB combo with a 40g slider to drag behind me - insurance Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:16pm
Gold
Gold

That's hard luck M. Murphy strikes again.

Wasn't planning another session but braved the holiday mayhem and it was hard going with not many keepers today. I wasn't leaving until I found a kingi to bring home, so, 6hrs later:

It was the busiest on the water I have ever seen it. Counted 36 boats before I even made it over the bar, shortly after sunrise.

Best part of the day was calling over a guy in a tinny with his young son trolling around me for kahawai with not much success, handing him my rod with the BIC pen lure on it, and watching his son get into a good kahawai shortly thereafter. Priceless.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:58pm
Gold
Gold

Nice King fish kF, a good eater by the look of it.
 I feel your pain M when a knot gives out, ouch...F***
Tomorrow is looking a bit windy for me but I'll give it a whirl.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 5:14pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 7:44pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thats awesome bro, young fella would have been wrapped Thumbs Up
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:40pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks. It was a really good kahawai too. Nice when a plan like that comes together.

Miraculously, unexpectedly and somewhat undeservedly, I was handed a leave pass for this morning so tried to make the most of it. Was glassy out there for quite a few hours after sunrise.

This isn't the best photo (it was bigger than it looks I promise) but this one gave me the hardest fight in quite some time. It was all muscle and dragged me around for a good while.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 12:55pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nicely done KF. Top dog fishing. If not livies what are you using on the kings ?
Page  <1 776777778779780 849>