Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 771772773774775 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:29pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Guys I think for all the efforts you put in local sometimes I think you would be just better off going to different spots to find the fish.
Going early means avoiding traffic, more chance of a better fish and if you want to change it up it easier to do.
I will go local in winter but the extra bit of driving in the mornings certainly puts fish in the bin.

I hear you Dan & you are correct right there
I cant be arsed, while learning my own patch both in Aucklands inner / outer harbour & the muddy on west side
The kayak fishers that do the muddy, love the local patch, but as you mentioned, they venture to better grounds for better consistent sizes around Kawau & Orere point

Today me & a mate fished the muddy
Nothing big at all for me & yet the last few days others were cleaning up with 35-55cm snaps
We both kept 10 snaps each, mine were all around 35cm, not sure the size my mate kept
Around 1km to the outer banks in 2m water.... the snaps already have the winter fat in their gut lining
Dare I say it, to me, the Manukau snapper are better eating than on the east side
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:24pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hard going finding the perfect livie this morning. Managed two mediocre options but took over an hour. One accounted for a small shark that gave up too easily. Second one was very small so I thought what the heck, drop it under a sinker and slowly drag it around somewhere near the bottom.

Success, but pretty hopeless fight. Put it back so it can learn how to fight proper for next time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 5:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:29am
Gold
Gold

Weather was awesome for a fish this morning:

But it's like someone has flicked a switch and the baitfish have buggered off. Took an hour of solid paddling to find and catch my first livie and then...the tsunami alerts started flooding (ha) in on my phone, so had to decide if paddle back in or head out to deeper water. After a few phone calls, realised had about an hour before any surge would hit so thought seriously about deploying livie but decided to paddle in anyway.

So, in summary, ya missed nothing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 1:52pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thinking of going out tomorrow, do you think the tsunami will still be having an effect on tides etc tomorrow?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 2:36pm
Gold
Gold

Honestly dunno, but will find out if any silt/murk has cleared up on tomorrow's do-over. I'm a bit miffed with the Kermadec earthquake, just quietly. It needs a jolly good talking to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 2:48pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

was thinking it would stir a whole lot up and when the current dies down there will be a feeding frenzy, could even go off tonight. Might do snappers tomorrow morning, a few mates going for kings but i think they would be more put off with the tidal flows today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:22pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You have always been able to kayak fish in level 3 just got to stay in your region, which is south of Mangawhai, will be within 200m of shore easily where i will be going, which is a place you know
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 4:46pm
Gold
Gold

You know what this means though. It might be the first ever low-wind Saturday up here that's devoid of Southern weekend imports. A locals-only day. I hope there's a sausage sizzle and raffle too.
Maybe a parade and can-can girls. Yes, we need more can-can girls.
**I am mayor of the estuary and approve this message
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 5:41pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 6:42pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:16pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah feeling a bit like a caged animal need the fresh air haha locked n loaded now so will be going hopefully the quakes haven't put them off the bite
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 10:46pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep I’m gonna pop out early from Arkles and see what I can get.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 9:18am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Yep I’m gonna pop out early from Arkles and see what I can get.
Well, the fact that I am eating a bacon and mushroom omelette in front of the TV suggests I won't be going early :) Will pop out in an hour or so, mainly for the exercise and relaxation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 1:20pm
Gold
Gold

Four strikes, four drags to fighting pressure, four times I fought the fish for a long enough time to feel like the hook set was solid, and four times it spat the livie well into the fight. Two times I saw it was a kingfish that struck my livie top-water.

I was giving offset circle hooks another try after a similar day a while ago when I vowed to not use them again, but, after lunch, I'm throwing out every mofo hook of that same style that I can find in every tacklebox within 500m of here. So gutted right now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 2:21pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As a matter of interest, kingifiddla, what do you have your drag set to (in kg)?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 2:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

That sucks KF - J hooks all the way Thumbs Up
It was very quiet at Arkles, although I did drop a reasonable fish due to the crappy drag on my stradic. It has gone all sticky, jerky, not smooth at all so time for a set of washers.

There was a brief tern workup in about 7m so I shot over and managed a 40CM snapper from underneath it, enough to feed my little family.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 2:54pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 3:18pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

Four strikes, four drags to fighting pressure, four times I fought the fish for a long enough time to feel like the hook set was solid, and four times it spat the livie well into the fight. Two times I saw it was a kingfish that struck my livie top-water.

I was giving offset circle hooks another try after a similar day a while ago when I vowed to not use them again, but, after lunch, I'm throwing out every mofo hook of that same style that I can find in every tacklebox within 500m of here. So gutted right now.

kingiFiddla, here are the 3 hook types I use for livebaiting mackeral, yellowtail slimy and Kohes.
For larger kahawai would probably go to heavier gauge hook like a mustard hoodlum. 
The first hook is an eagle claw open gape (silver one) is an 8/0 from memory, second hook is a gamakatsu octopus , 9/0 from memory, third is an eagle claw recurve 9/0 , same hook they use for marlin in cabo livebaiting mackerel. Have found all three effective and caught some decent kings on all three sine Xmas, no missed hookups. 
The first silver hook have used for years also brilliant for piper, usually hooks mouth.
The second hook the gamakatsu, also good hook up rate but often will gut hook bait or result in hook up well down throat, is a fish killer, no good if going to release but will slow big fish down.
Third hook the recurve,  I like these due to thin gauge allowing you pin bait lightly in shoulder, but you need to allow fish time to take bait and can’t strike fish like other two hooks.
In kayak with short line to bait then is possibly is more difficult with the recurve. Also the relies on basically separating from bait after bait is taken to pull cleanly into fish’s jaw. Which is why hook placement is critical and why you can’t hook bait too deep.
Not sure if this helps, clearly the recurves not working for you. If I was keen to hook fish and intending to keep it, I would also probably go with either of the first two options.

Page  <1 771772773774775 849>