Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 762763764765766 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 7:57am
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Shane.
I’m after one of those legendary bays snapper so trying the big bait circle hook strayline rig on a bait runner.
It’s paying off with bigger fish - waiting for that screaming reel though.

Like your thinking on the stealth Patrick, a good thought out mod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:46pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You got some good eaters yesterday Bullet, it was the pick of  days for going out this week I think, the next week looks dodgy.
 I too am after a large snapper by stray lining a large circle hook and bait, a la Shane, or with a livie following the Muppet.
But as much as I want to catch a big snapper, I have a strong preference for eating smaller fish--this is my lucky break not having the nous to catch the bigger ones yet--, snapper under 40cm have a texture and flavor I much prefer, and I'm addicted to the damned things now.
Shane is quite correct that on fine days when he is at work  powering civilization forward, I am out fishing in his spot. 
If the yak I bought--without knowing anything about fishing kayaks-- wasn't such a large heavy war canoe: a 4.7 Prowler with a bixpy, which goes great by the way but transporting it is hard, I would put it on a roof rack and go exploring some of the great fishing spots north of Auckland...but as things stand I am confined to spending my covid refuge days in NZ wheeling my yak down the road and plundering Shane's beloved Bay while he works for a living, I will remember this time as the good old days:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 12:08pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I prefer the 40cm eaters too, but still looking for that 20pd fish. Will release it though.

My back has gone so use a trailer got the yak, and downsized and got the Viking 400lite so I can manage on my own.
Early this month I helped lift one of your model yaks onto a roof rack and had my back lock up - they are heavy.

This Sunday morning may have a small window to shoot out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:07pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bag is done except the addition of a zip so Dan/Brent/random boatie can help with the big dogs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:03am
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks awesome. If you are into some big dogs or flatties, happy to help - that means I will be into them too😃
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got  2 respectable legal snaps this  morning,  not bad for couple of hours.  Had 2 nice kahawai throw hook, and then a nice trev to yak on hand line 15 lb mainline (to catch yellowtail) , got it yak side before hook pulled, and then lost another playing it. what happens when you hook em on sprat hook I suppose. They pull good through hands mind you, knew first one wasn’t a kahawai, second was lifting on when hook pulled. Bit of fun. Very happy to see such magnificent fish out there on cloudy morning northerly breeze and small tide. Heaven really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:47pm
Gold
Gold

You made the most of the opportunity this morning Shane, well done, of course you probably should have been at work:)
Tomorrow will be wild but Wed morning is looking good. I haven’t caught a Trev down there yet, they seem to come in close. I’m looking forward to my next fix of fishing, it doesn’t seem wise to bitch about the weather, but I do...I hope December brings some good fishing weather, I want to paddle over to the Rangi channel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 9:08pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HY. Small swaying baits half way  down , they might go gurnard rig under yak half way up as well. I have trailing trace, sinker above swivel on my bait rig
We seeem to rarely get them here of Campbells,  compared to more down off taka black rocks in among mussels smelt, and some well known spots at  rangi, noises and David’s.. they are a spooky fish.. for sure. 
I was fishing half pillies and odd cube today and they didn’t take those, whereas up north they would usually take those. But here they seem real bait shy ... one of fish got up this morning would of gone 3 kg. They are very good challenge, soft mouths but very powerful for size. 
If you going to have a  serious crack at them I suggest mussel burley and a smaller pillie bait with a tiny weight (split shot on trace maybe)  above hook and set midway in water column.
We didn’t have too many small snapper around this morning. Was sitting just off  the Foul (34 ft at full tide).
I don’t see many trevs off here to be honest, haven’t caught good one for about ten years here.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 10:39pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive done similar with the odd trev . When im fishing for snapper i put a 8kg handline with two sprat hooks down straight over the side,light weight. Baited with small bits of whatever is available,for jack macks. Set anywhere between mid water and a couple of meters off bottom. Provides my sashimi mackeral ,and the odd kahawai or trev if very lucky. Have to be careful with a trevelly on such small hooks. 
Maybe a small cube of pilly or muscle on bigger hook might provide a few more trevs.?
Have noticed a bit of a drop off in Jack Mackeral numbers over the last few years. 
Wonder how long the snapper will last. Nearing december,wont be long till they have spawned or are spawning ,and then a drop off in numbers ,except for a few slabs until they come inshore again in feb -march to fatten up. At least thats what ive found
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 7:44am
Titanium
Titanium

What are we chasing on Saturday morning boys??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 3:54pm
Gold
Gold

There was a decent easterly swell at Campbells this morning when I left, when I came back in it had changed to a northerly and the wind had picked up, so I got some surfing practice going back to the beach. The wind and tide were not cooperating much today, but it was a good day out, of course the sunrise from the yak  is always stunning. I got my bag of tasty little Snapps and a Kahawai for the smoker, all stray lining with pillies. Another beautiful week day without a jet ski in sight.Smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:43pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 10:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Not a lot of reports this weekend... I popped out from Waiwera at about 5pm today and fished until about 9. Only kept 1 nice gurnard. Lots of 31cm snapper released. Some big bait schools, juvenile kahawai and small jack Mack’s mainly. Had a live kahawai out but no interest. Z man new penny was best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 10:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry mate no report from me too busy with family parties, vacuuming, the Coatesville markets (1000 or so people there this morning and my daughter was selling her art), was cutting lawns this arvo.

Actually looked really out there off bays most of weekend. I need to seroiously reprioritise, to actually  going fishing.  Did go to one fishing shop today and see some game rods  (a maybe next one) I probably both don’t need and can’t  afford.
Well done on the good gurnard, sounds like your time was better spent to me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:09am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 5:11am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Yeah stayed home bit too much south in the wind. Snapper will be proper spawning now.
The 3 we brought home Friday were flabby,just spawned??Were not good eating.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:46am
Gold
Gold

I didn't get out on the weekend, the water looked good, I wanted to go despite the snapps spawning, but I had a virus and not enough juice for dragging the yak up the hill, that part of the caper is hard yakka. Friday is looking good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:09am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 1:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

Mate shot a reasonable king at Shearers buoy (behind Tiri) on Saturday morning. He said the numbers were down a bit on last year but no shark issues yet. Shearers area is atrocious for aggro sharks as the water warms up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 762763764765766 849>