Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 761762763764765 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 5:09pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I caught some beauty Macs today, and a slimy or two, but there were no takers, no giant fish wanted them, not even a shark, so I just caught snappers on my other rod.
The incoming tide was going against the southerly wind, which is not my favorite scenario, but I got enough fish to keep us going until my next outing on Tuesday, when I am certain a very large snapper will take my live Mac...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 5:23pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 10:10pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am taking a weekend off paddling after hurting my back last weekend (to the point that I had to call in sick on Monday)

I am going to spend the time modifying the fish storage on the stealth instead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 4:16pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went out at around 10 did a couple hours off Campbells in close at reef off southern end. Managed one 45 cm snap. Got it just as a Riverera was blasting past putting some decent wake. Fish took big piece of kahawai slab bait. Is dinner. Got no livies, dropped a kahawai that would have been ok as big livie. No jacks bit late in day or sitting too far off reef. Quite few gannets going in around the place.
Came home had few beers .. just came back from neighbour few doors up who proudly showed me his new creation. Very impressive. 4 stroke chinese outboard mounted on back of a cobra tandem. Done beautiful job, thing does 5 to 6 knots with just him at 95 kegs on board.. has been testing a couple of days this week.
Very practical guy and said I can take few picks of rig. Will maybe take a few and put up later. Motor weighs 8kg (similar size to a weed eater, motor does look quite exposed)  , under 9 kg with fuel and massively economical by all accounts. Also has full tilt when come into beach. Not my thing in a kayak as have a boat, but was very interesting and some serious ingenuity. He has had shoulder problems so this is probably great solution and like HY will give a lot more range. Is still taking paddle as secondary propulsion if needed. 

I got to see it run on dry land,  looks pretty good and looking forward to see on water. More  exciting than team nz who watched while out this morning!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:58pm
Gold
Gold

Good reports gentlemen, I'm sure we'll see some pictures of a mighty  Kingie here before long.
Interesting report from Shane of fishing the inner reef at Campbell's, I saw  some big sign there on Friday, but I've never caught any of it, just Macs at that reef, but it will be a good option when it's too windy to go further out. It's quite sheltered there with even a strong westerly up to 25km. I'm a fair weather yakman, I have fished in 25km wind but my rule of thumb is to go in when the wind hits 15kms, except for westerly's in close.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 7:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 7:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

I’m making some changes to my kayak. Fish storage has always been a problem on this one. It is an early Stealth Fisha 550. It has a rod chute which can fit a couple of rigged 7 foot combos. It doesn’t have the large fish hatch like the later models. It has a round hatch behind the seat which has a larger container inside which is ok for snapper up to about 50cm but if you put too many fish in there they end up all bent out of shape and bruised.

I am removing the container inside, and making a fish bag that extends all the way to the rudder box at the rear. The bag will have a round opening that lines up with the hatch behind the seat. It will also have a zipper below the oval rear hatch so if I keep a king or a big snapper, I can get another yakker to put the fish in for me (I can’t safely reach that hatch).

I am having to remove a pair of rod holders to free up some space, I will strengthen the area and replace with a pair of Railblaza star ports.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 7:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

I am also replacing the round hatch with a slightly larger hinged one, with cam lock fastenings rather than screw-in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:26am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:04pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I saw what u meant last time I was out with you, big responsibility on the co yakker not to drop your big fish in the drink.
Have u also thought about strapping a Tagit or similar catch bag on top of the back?
Can then include a stringer too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

I thought about getting one made with eyelets at the bottom so I could lace it down but this method will provide better insulation, less windage, and much cheaper. So far I’ve spent $0 - got the pvc fabric free from work (field days signs from an obsolete brand), my brother happens to have a tin of Bostik 999 and the correct solvent. The only thing I need to buy is a hatch and a pair of starports, total cost around $100.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:56pm
Gold
Gold

I paddled out to the special purpose buoy off the Bays this morning, it was a bit lumpier out there--3kms from shore--than I prefer, but the wind settled down after an hour . 
 I caught a few Macs and tried my live rig, first hit was a 38cm snapper foul hooked with the triple hook stinger, the next Mac was taken by a 1 metre + Hammerhead, God gave them sharp teeth so that they can bite through my traces, the third Mac escaped and the fourth was nibbled at and left. 
After my big game fishing was done, I caught my bag of little snaps on pillies, no gurnies or kahawai turned up. 
I had a great ride back in to Campbells, I was going with the tide and the swell and got back 10mins faster than the trip out, plus I hardly saw a jet ski all day!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work HY good feed of very nice eaters.
Here’s a few shots of neighbour’s rig he has developed. I’m impressed although will keep paddling myself. He showed me a couple of pics underway goes good.

Give me a minute to upload some photos.

Can hopefully make out prop on top shot, whole thing tilts fully upright,  and is fully down running just under hull with little to no cavitation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:44pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice one Hard yakker, good feed there

shaneg, seen on one of the community pages out my way of a small dingy with a line trimmer with a prop on the end as an outboard...sort of, am sure it was a piss take...but ya never know, some fisher folk are quite clever in their ways
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:45pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should add the guy who has developed yak above fishes usually off a bigger prowler model than mine often within sight, and has caught some seriously big snapper off here... and from what I know has released them all. Which makes me me like him even better. Just likes to take a good feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:01pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good report HY.
I launched locally at your beach Shane about 10.30 am. I saw some wheels from another yak at the north end of the beach but no sign on the water of anyone still out there.
Got a big kahawai to use as bait but no takers.
Got a good bag limit anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:21pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Brent, some nice fish
HY tracks maybe....was probably gone and 5kms away. He is refining his techniques constantly on beautiful days while I’m at work.  Dave’s certainly doing the business and further away he goes the better.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very nice meal presentation by the way, crumb is appeares a fantastic golden crust. I like the little bun on the side too.
Page  <1 761762763764765 849>