Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 757758759760761 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:25am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like a calm window Sunday morning. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:41am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 5:19pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I had a good session off the Bays this morning, I'm  happy with the 50cm John Dory I caught on a live Mac, I was very surprised when I saw it, as was the fish I'm sure.
My first decent snapper got caught around the anchor rope and got off, then a hammer head got caught around the anchor and bit the rope half way through, it was a hell of a mess. The tide was coming in, but there was a breeze from the south that was tangling me up for a while.
The mind wanders a bit some days I suppose, I wasn't very sharp today, I  bungled everything I touched and got spiked by every second fish, but I still got some good eaters:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 6:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:37pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome and well done on the Jonny HY ..it’s a good one and will taste fantastic.
Hard luck on the hammer biting half way through your anchor rope... they are trouble. Lucky didn’t get that liviey before that nice JD did.
If they are in, it is time to start lure fishing.. softbaits and sliders are way to go.   No more big baits and certainly no berley. Can get away with smaller pilchard cubes and baits when good snaps are about stray lined, and odd piper towed or sight fished for kings.
Summer is here, and so are the hammers by the sounds!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 3:16pm
Gold
Gold

I have a maintenance question for a fishing yak, do any OC Kayak owners have a suggestion for replacing the rear wear strip on the bottom of a 4.7 OC Prowler. I have been told the company no longer makes that hard black plastic part, and there are none to be had anywhere.
I wheel my yak  down Beach rd on a trolley to launch at Campbells Bay, often hitting the bottom on View rd on the way, thus the wear.
A gentleman from Canoe and Kayak North Shore suggested I remove my worn strip and get it 3D printed.This sounds expensive, any other ideas? He said you can't glue that plastic material.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 4:42pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 6:19pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Jump on you tube for keel protectors for kayaks. 
I made one from there out of 40mm pvc piping and it works great. (Scratches to prove it!)
You dont seem to realise how much you scrape the bottom until you put something underneath.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 6:20pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Stuck it on with double sided outdoor tape and have been using it for 6 months with no issues
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 9:39pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

3D printed shouldn't be expensive. I would suggest to make it from PLA.

Not sure where you are from exactly, but you find people with 3D printers from Prusa here https://www.prusaprinters.org/world

If you will not find a digital 3D model, I can create one (for free).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 10:33pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bring it down here in weekend Dave and we will sort it out   Over a larger or two. Will  flip it over on lawn and pretty sure get you a solution which will cost you not a lot. Mate of mine owns canoe kayak in Sandringham might be able to help. 
Bout time we stepped up the refugee support  programme on this kayak fishing site.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:34am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty consistent there Hard yakker, nice haul especially the JD

With parts for your yak, try Rob Fort
https://www.kayakadventures.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 1:56am
Gold
Gold

Thanks for all the great yak repair suggestions folks. Shane's offer of refugee support is mighty neighborly of him and will be gladly accepted, at the next opportunity...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:33pm
Gold
Gold

A shout out to Shane for his diagnosis and hands on work on my yak today. He went beyond the call of being kind to a covid refugee yakker, he's the most hard core fisherman I've met, omg the dudes got some kit , and he's a top bloke, thanks Shane.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There are plenty of fish out a bit deeper still Dan. The fishfinder was packed all the way from challenger to moturekareka this morning in 30m. The water temp was up to 16.5. Surely not too long before they move into RP.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How were the conditions? I noticed it was pretty fresh out there around 2PM today, lots of whitecaps north of Whangaparaoa.

I am going to launch at Arkles tomorrow morning - see if I can break my john dory drought.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:54pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 9:28am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mission accomplished, nice big johnny and kept 3 snapper. Back ashore by 8am. Caught my first snapper in 6m on the way out of the bay, first cast with a new penny curlytail. Got the rest in 9-10m on the edge of the foul.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 1:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 757758759760761 849>