Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 756757758759760 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 1:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 2:43pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saturday looks goooood... i am trying to scam my way onto a mates boat for a change but if I can't swing it, you'll see me at RP.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 4:02pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Touching wood here but thinking on all the hours done never had too much trouble with the toothy buggers.

Same here. 15 years of yakfishing and only a handful of sitings.
Softbaits and keeping the catch contained is probably the main reason.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 5:07pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 10:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been locked out of here.. forgot my password Embarrassed.
Great to be back ... was pretty scary, would rather be wrestling those 1 meter long school sharks Hard yakka.
Great to know you have had pleasure of fishing with John Going, John is a very interesting character and a NZ legend in game fishing.
I have had pleasure of knowing him for few years, and he definitely still has a larger than life presence round WDSA and Tuts. Still fishes hard.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 1:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 3:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

I’m in mate, where we launching?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 4:00pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 3:13pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Originally posted by Hard yakker Hard yakker wrote:

As I was tying on the giant hook to my new heavy trace, as per Shane's recommendation, I was thinking, you're going to need a bigger boat.
Nothing touched it all day, the big bait must have scared of the pannies and gurnard that were pecking at my dropper rig.
Whatever, a good day was had, and 35cm snapps taste about as good as snapper gets for me. There are still a few gurnies left too, and they are tops on the plate, I'm a happy fisherman.

I wonder if snapper movements around Auckland harbour are anything like this Australian research from Victoria, from Port Phillip. A snapper  being tracked moving 50kms in a day is quite astounding, no? 
https://vfa.vic.gov.au/science-in-fisheries/fisheries-research-findings/science-supporting-key-species/tracking-snapper-in-port-phillip-bay
  • During October-December adult snapper move around a lot. They rarely spend any more than one day near an individual listening station, and mostly spent less than a few hours at any one time,
  • Adult snapper commonly move distances of up 10 km in a 24 hour period, some fish traversed the bay from north to south in 24 hours, covering a distance of 40-50 km,

The only tagged snapper I ever caught was near Crusoe Rock (Near Motuihe).  It had moved about a km max between release and recapture.  I calculated that if it swam directly from its release point to its capture point, it would have to swim at 3mm per hour. LOL  Of course it could have circumnavigated the North Island (or even Australia) in the meantime - we'll never know.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Met up with Dan for a 5.15am launch, caught a few nice pannies , kept 4. Lots of small ones around and no big bait schools yet. Caught and released a nice one in 10m depth, around 70cm. Good fight on the 10lb softbait gear.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:10pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That is a fine looking snapper Telecaster.
I caught my usual pannies today, but I nearly caught a big something. What ever it was took out a lot of line very quickly, I played it for a couple of minutes before it spat the Kahawai's head it ate out.
The next fish I caught with what was left of the  head was a small hammer head shark. Shane mentioned that catching baby hammer heads marks the end of the Spring fishing in our little patch. There are still a few gurnard about halfway through October, so that's good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Dave been watching election, very entertaining, drinking red wine.
There was quite a big snapper 12 lber caught in a boat off here the other day. I’m meant to be taking few lads for fish tomorrow in boat, probably off here tomorrow for arvo for fish.

Helped a fella get his OK Gamefisher GT kayak with raised seat up beach about 5 pm tonight and onto his car. He had got turtled coming in.. bit of work for reel service guys I suspect as some nice gear that got dunked. Although full marks he wasn’t too perturbed and seemed to be taking it well. Funny he mentioned one of his mates got turtled same day as you a while back Dave.  We deduced it was you as we’re talking about bixbys. I said turtling happens to all best guys, including myself.. Sleepy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 8:55pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quite a lot of nice snapper this arvo on incoming .. was out of boat today so probably doesn’t count on here .. lot of 40cm models and one bigger 55cm one.
Young lads I took were happy taking quite a lot of fillets home... which I filleted off for them from 9 we bought home, plus one bonus gurnard, which was my dinner tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:16am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot out from Arkles bay yesterday afternoon to test the new sounder setup and it worked a treat. Went with mounting the transducer in an internal well and shooting through the hull. Nice and tidy! Fishing was good with a couple of bust offs that now have me thinking. First time for me at Arkles and thoroughly enjoyed
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper_Stalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 12:43pm
Snapper_Stalker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I took advantage of the nice weather yesterday and headed out from Shakespear Regional Park at the very gentlemanly hour of 9.30am. Managed four Snapper in the space of around an hour and a half. Two in the mid 30's and the other two in the mid 40cm range. An orange slider accounted for 3 of them, while a Z-Man shard dragging behind me in the rod holder got the 4th. I was back on the beach by 11:30am.  

The late start was nice for a change. For once I wasn't falling asleep on the couch at 4pm!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on ya snapper stalker and flaw one... no one says you have to get up too early. Fishing should be fun and fit in with normal sleep patterns, biggest snappers I have caught ( 2 notables 27 lb and circa 30 released)  were between 12 noon and 4 pm.
Of course if you get really keen ... too early is never a problem... still remember 4.30 am starts and having marlin on board by 9.00am Not yak mind you. Having said that nothing like arriving at beach on winter morning just after day break and seeing hard yakker all ready to launch. Motivating!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:53pm
Titanium
Titanium

One of my best sessions involved a 3.30am alarm, drive from Manurewa to Martin’s bay, a big paddle and into the spring snapper. I was back at the beach by 8.30 with a limit bag, including 3 over 10lb (one was 72cm). Was mind blowing to all the boaties who were only just launching 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:22pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Met up with Dan for a 5.15am launch, caught a few nice pannies , kept 4. Lots of small ones around and no big bait schools yet. Caught and released a nice one in 10m depth, around 70cm. Good fight on the 10lb softbait gear.

Awesome Snap there Tele. Looks like you did better than most who were in closer 👍
Page  <1 756757758759760 849>