Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 755756757758759 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 11:34am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

I am a very very happy man this morning

Crikey - bet you didn't see that happening
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 5:19pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:16pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I am a very very happy man this morning

Thought you must have caught a 30lb snapper 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:25pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take nothing away from that humbling result and your team are stamping themselves as a dangerous team. Reminds me of Leicester City and when Nottingham first came up.
Observation: not a lot marking by the pudlians, unknown marauding team that knows how to play football... with great execution. Fantastic.. smashed them .. with new superstars, guys who just did the business.

Always been Leeds supporter myself  ... since went to Glasgow as a robust kiwi kid who was handy with a ball. Leeds had half the Scottish team in those days. So you supported Leeds or got beaten up at school, my formative years.  Got to love Billy Bremner, Jordan Jordan , Grey brothers, Alex Harvey....They got thrashed at Wembley in that era by England and the Scottish fans turned town upside down. We were all proud even in defeat.

Anyway glad to hear that donkey came off Martins not off Campbells , otherwise would thought I was getting seriously unlucky.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 6:14pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

As I was tying on the giant hook to my new heavy trace, as per Shane's recommendation, I was thinking, you're going to need a bigger boat.
Nothing touched it all day, the big bait must have scared of the pannies and gurnard that were pecking at my dropper rig.
Whatever, a good day was had, and 35cm snapps taste about as good as snapper gets for me. There are still a few gurnies left too, and they are tops on the plate, I'm a happy fisherman.

I wonder if snapper movements around Auckland harbour are anything like this Australian research from Victoria, from Port Phillip. A snapper  being tracked moving 50kms in a day is quite astounding, no? 
https://vfa.vic.gov.au/science-in-fisheries/fisheries-research-findings/science-supporting-key-species/tracking-snapper-in-port-phillip-bay
  • During October-December adult snapper move around a lot. They rarely spend any more than one day near an individual listening station, and mostly spent less than a few hours at any one time,
  • Adult snapper commonly move distances of up 10 km in a 24 hour period, some fish traversed the bay from north to south in 24 hours, covering a distance of 40-50 km,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keep at it hard yakker.. Think of it that there’s a big fish looking you, rather than you are looking for it. And sooner or later you will get that bite. And that little penn will sing.
I have some keen Westlake boys (nephew and his mate) , wanting to fish weekend. Be mean not to take boat out. Are very persistent with enquires.  While we could head anywhere ... I will head local with them. Looking forward to getting them to do hard work including cleaning up... teaching them how to look after stuff as well as maybe catch some fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:42am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 1:28pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gonna have a flick for a squid this evening, try to find a sheltered spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 1:41pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah should push some warm water in. Squidding was no good, found a calm spot but the water was very murky.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:31am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 12:06pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Weekend looks good.
Saturday for me if anyone is keen.....

Box seats Eden Park Sunday sorry guys no room there lol.
Wonder if I will witness history. Wayno should be nervous.

Thanks for offer.
I’m also planning to hit spring snapper area with a mate on Saturday - sharing the ride. Still to confirm launch time. will let u know.
Box seats - bloody good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 1:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:48pm
Gold
Gold

I got a few small snapps off Campbells today, and two gurnard. It got a bit squally in the morning but it settled down. The biggest snap was 42cm, and tasted good, two sharks f**ked up my gurnard traces, which put and end to that pursuit, but both of those bad hombres were released, one seemed to be especially  pissed off. If the wallopers would grant me a licence for a glock, I would perhaps eat more shark...what could possibly go wrong?
This week is looking good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:02pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard Yakker, maybe we are consigned to smaller snapper than other fishing members but always seem to be scoring a decent feed.
Anyway stick with odd bigger bait and see what happens, it has barely settled down out there after a nice big easterly blow, but did look ok tonight. Those bigger fish will come.
Only when we start catching hammers has spring run ended. Hopefully those sharks weren’t hammer heads?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:36pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:42pm
Gold
Gold

No Hammers were hooked today,, they weren’t school or dogs either, fine looking sleek creatures with a somewhat aggressive smile. The head shakes felt like snapper. Fresh snapper 35-40cm taste best I think, I will very likely release any giant beasts I catch... but first I’ve got to catch them. It
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 11:17am
Gold
Gold

I've been looking at more pictures of sharks, I think the one that gave me trouble yesterday was a metre+ School shark after all .
So not particularly dangerous in the scheme of things, but strength and teeth are to be respected all the same.
I caught my first shark, a 116kg Mako on the Kitty Vane in 1979, I was a 3rd former at Westlake Boys, the trip was a Christmas present from the old man.We entered that big cave in the Poor Knights, I was looking out the back of the boat taking it all in when wham, the Mako struck and jumped completely out of the water, landing it was quite a work out, but John Going had it tied  up and  shot in a flash. 
I didn't go game fishing for another 15 years, my next outing was with a guy out of Whitianga, he hadn't learned his trade like John Going,but he told me he had learned to respect sharks after landing a 5 ft Mako. The Mako was taken onto his deck, where it sank its teeth into his left foot, a mighty  struggle ensued, when he finally extracted his left foot from the sharks mouth, he stood up with relief, where upon the shark bit his right foot. 
The moral of the story is that guy had two sore feet. I'm  careful with them myself, whatever their size.
Page  <1 755756757758759 849>