Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 754755756757758 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 7:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:31pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard yakker Hard yakker wrote:

I went  for a paddle off the Bays this morning, I got a couple of 40cm snapps a few 35s, and a few gurnard. There are still a few big gurnies out there and lots of sharks, I let 3 or 4 go. There are far more snapps than gurnard now. One of the double hits I got on my gurnard rig was a 1.5m approx shark, it was big, and a snap, both hooked in the corner of their mouths, I finally got the shark unhooked without losing a finger or my rig. My new Penn Spinfisher vi reel is a beauty. 
Great report hard yakka, beautiful photo this morning and some nice fish. Looked pretty good when I came home tonight and looked out there...looked amazing, glad someone made most of the day. New reel sounds like a good investment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 11:19am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 4:02pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:04pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Awesome binfull Muppet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:34pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I had another session in my home turf, I paddled  out a few kms from the Bays this morning and confirmed, as if there was any doubt, that I  have a gift...for hooking myself with sabiki rigs.
I got some good snapps too and quite a few gurnard. I caught the 50cm snapp with a strip of yellow tail stray lining, and the 46cm with a bit of Kahawai on my gurnard rig. It was a great christening for my  Penn  Spinfisher, it's always exciting to hear the reel sing. Campbells Bay looked like a summer's day this afternoon, there were a lot of people out fishing too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:36pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:40pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah, second that. Nice catch.
I went up to Lang’s this morning with a few from the north shore yak club.
On the water at 7, back in at 2pm. Only brought home a gurnard and an average kahawai.   
All the guys found it hard with some zeroing out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 6:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work hard yakker. Considerably better than my effort this arvo, managed 4 gurnard and one nice snapper but not as big as yours. Had one rod buckler but hook pulled. Disapprove
Taking boat out tomorrow for a run, so see what that brings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 6:28pm
Gold
Gold

Thank you gentlemen, our fridge is now full of fish, at times like this I get unexpected visits from my older brother and other long lost relatives.
Tomorrow will be a good day for boating Shane, you will likely land some good fish too.
Just stay away from those black pirate ships racing around the gulf, and be nice to the yakkers as you race past them at 50:) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:16pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well hard yakker, just n case your curious the boating was predictable.. and not that productive but took from 6:30am ..2.30 pm,. half an hour to get boat ready fuelled and including solving problem (poor maintenance) getting jokey wheel to recline.. fixed now but needs a lube with grease.
Anyway daughter arrived around slightly after seven, her and wife on drive laden with food plus coffee and Prosecco... although I had snuck few beers in chillybin
Launched castor bay... not into taka ramp. Tide well on way in pretty easy. Found birds and kahawai working half way towards rangi, had softbait only small fish . Wife said go to rangi light and daughter said she like picture up close so  did that... then had to listen how wife’s grandad caught 3 x 80lb kings in one day there... probably 100 years ago (And 100th time heard story)... on bait though but encouraged me to fire a popper around. I told her there were no kings there this time of year, so eventually we set off round to Gardner’s (nth side of mototap). We’ve caught some great fish there softbaiting over the years but if you ask me is now completely overfished for resident kelpies.
Yes she did manage one pannie and few throw backs. After about 10am I could of come in, but thought we could kill an hour off ECB given effort to launch boat. 
We fished longer way off than would in yak.  Was couple kayaker out there too, one had launched off castor when we had, other was Darren (well known marine biologist and snapper expert)  I suspect..was a  campbells bay local as a kid and we went past his dads place this morning,with his yak set up on pavement ready to go.
Anyway they went in and we stayed and fished. Wife went to bait and we didn’t change the 20lb flouro trace, So went straight on 20 lb flouro softbait trace,on with 1/4 ounce sinker, whole flounder head (her favourite bait)  with an 8/0 hook. While I managed a nice pannie snap and a bonus gurnard on my strayline, she had little interest for a while.

Anyway I’m not really sorry that a big snapper that came along and ate her flounder head and after a few minutes  broke the light trace with its massive head nods near boat... as it saves me not hearing about it for next 6 mths. Almost made cleaning up boat filleting, and packing everything away pleasurable... another hour and a half of my life lost... Was drinking beer so it did make cleaning up washing boat by hand with saved bath water slightly longer than I last remember.
Moral: kayak fishing is best, unless you after marlin. And some people like myself should probably fish alone. That said love taking family out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:57pm
Gold
Gold

"Kayak fishing is best" Good story Shane, I can see the virtues of the yak, but coffee and prosecco are not one of them, but there is the solitude 
...he was an old man who fished alone in a yak in the gulf and he had gone 24 hours now without a fish:) 
Great to hear more news that the big ones are getting closer.
I would love to catch one of those, and a JD on a livey, have you seen any JDs down our way?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:01pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That reef you go right over on way out out hods em. And the best place to get your live mackerel as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:02pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:04pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ha. classic tale Shane. Best in class. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:30pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish my wife had on Sanchez,  I have been waiting for all spring.
Lucky I don’t have a jealous bone in my body.
Dave you might want to put sometime in this week. It’s actually been no where near as good as last year in September,  but we won’t get missed out (never have been)  just a bit late.
Bit baits and heavy trace.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Know you like softbait dan but where was fish caught? Off the bays? Good looking fish and old fella.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 5:14am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 10:47am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 754755756757758 849>