Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 753754755756757 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 3:17pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds good - fizzing for tomorrow now Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 4:00pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Roll on spring!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 4:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:26am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dan, any chance of sharing the spec's of your JD live bait rig?
 I am developing an appreciation for particulars of the various rigs: if this is a little too long and that short, or not weighted properly etc, the effectiveness is compromised. As a beginner to the JD live bait caper, I would  love to know what specs you recommend for the live bait ledger rig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 12:50pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice collection of fish yesterday Dan.
Had a quick paddle myself this morning, bigger snapper still scarce. Thought had one on but turned into school shark. Managed few gurnard and one snap.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 1:19pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 1:28pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jones bay mission this morning. Launched about 5.30, head over towards the red light. Got into a school of pannies in about 17m. Kept 3 up to about 50cm, all on zMan laguna shrimp shads on 3/8oz jigheads.

Headed closer to the island and had a look around Fairchild reef. Very dense fog moved in which was pretty eery, couldn’t see more than about 40m.

Got a couple more snapper at the start of the incoming then it just died. Rode the tide back to the launch spot by about 10.30.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:54pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:30pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice shane. I went out to your beach this morning And got 5 gurnard and a couple of little kahawai. I was on a double yak.
Out further there was a guy On his own and 2 more singles paddles out to him.... was that you?
I was back in at The beach by 9am.
Some nice spring snaps there Patrick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep Brent, I was the one further out and my cousin and nephew came out where I was fishing quite early, then they moved further in and fished for while. They were in the yellow perception swing yaks.
I came in in around 10.30 -11 am. Was pretty nice out there early. Glad you got a few gurnard, still few about and some good sized ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 7:39am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:50pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Screw paddling in that fog that hung around. That's looking for trouble
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 10:14pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My middle name is “trouble”, or possibly “troubled” Dimitry. It actually wasn’t too bad as I could see most off Rangitoto and most ECB the whole time. Embarrassed.
Thing with fog is it always means no or little wind. I actually like it. Few launches went past me but could clearly see me and gave me a wave. 

One thing I did see and forgot to mention, was an old time com boat going past (dark hull), possibly a small seiner. Hopefully wasn’t  trying a sneaky set in close in the fog, targeting our (mine and HardYakker’s) fish, was a wee way outside my usual paddling limits but not too muchShocked.  
Shame there is no room to stow an rpg on the yak.LOL
Hopefully just another boating enthusiast with an old trawler style boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:40am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:36am
Platinum
Platinum

@muppet and it's lure masters comp this Fri and sat. It's gonna be busy on the water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:18am
Gold
Gold

Shame there is no room to stow an rpg on the yak.LOL

Indeed Shane an RPG would pose storage issues for use on the kayak, but it would surely spice up the journeys for the gurnies.
 Perhaps the sensible option would be mounting a whaling harpoon on the front of your OC yak, check ebay there may be a fitting for the Japanese market.
Impulse control could  be an issue here, use your discretion, and avoid firing at jet skis where possible. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:35am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

i thought you hated boaties or is it just stickbaiters LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:41pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 6:39pm
Gold
Gold

I went  for a paddle off the Bays this morning, I got a couple of 40cm snapps a few 35s, and a few gurnard. There are still a few big gurnies out there and lots of sharks, I let 3 or 4 go. There are far more snapps than gurnard now. One of the double hits I got on my gurnard rig was a 1.5m approx shark, it was big, and a snap, both hooked in the corner of their mouths, I finally got the shark unhooked without losing a finger or my rig. My new Penn Spinfisher vi reel is a beauty. 
Page  <1 753754755756757 849>