Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 751752753754755 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:03pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We had a crack at the gurnard spot from low tide till about 6pm. Only one gurnard caught (42cm) but 8 snapper and a few kahawai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How big were the snapper TC? 
There’s few guys down Bays hanging out for big ones.

Few long rods coming down to campbells late arvo today for incoming tide tonight, including one guy who got a 27 pounder off our beach couple years ago. Not your average surfcaster. Braid and very long rod with long cast spool. Throws well over 100 Meters with bait and always in same spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:18pm
Titanium
Titanium

Not big, all under 40cm. Fat though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 5:07pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 11:08pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Headed to your beach Shane after work with yak on trailer. White caps and a solid chop. So I turned around and went home.
Aching for a fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:08am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

I've got a meeting I can't avoid on Friday but I might have a look off shakespear tomorrow arvo/evening. Should be OK there in a NW.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:32pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was out at the Bays this morning catching more of Shane's fish, I got a few 35cm snaps and a couple of gurnard for my trouble. I think the gurnard season has passed:( but these nice little snapps have arrived:). It was a melancholic moment sensing the passing of the season. 
  My favorite reels have both been trashed with waves and dunkings, I was a bit lucky that I wasn't trashed as well. What is the best kayak fishing spinning reel? What are you knowledgeable folks using?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:19pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:52am
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the feedback Dan, I will go with the Penn I thinkafter selling a few body parts. It's good to know what the top guys here are using, rather than just listening to any old muppet on the internet. 
Landing my pannies with a $200 winch will be a joy I'm sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Happywith1ky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:03am
Happywith1ky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate, if you wanted a in-depth review on the spinfisher I'd recommend this read.
TL;DR its not entirely "watertight" as advertised

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 1:47pm
Gold
Gold

The review above of the Penn Spinfisher V  by Tony Hawks,  is very detailed and brutal in its verdict, he didn't even test the reel kayak fishing.
 The question comes to mind: what gear does stand up to kayak fishing?
Perhaps  the Penn actually performs better than his review?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 4:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 4:56pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Dan do you prefer them over Stradic ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:04pm
Gold
Gold

This is the kind of feedback that counts, thanks Dan.
As for piwikiwi's question about a comparison of the Penn with a Straic. I am looking to replace my Straic, it is a little beauty but  it doesn't like swimming or rough sports, I'm hoping the Penn will hold up to more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:42pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I have a sustain 3000 and a stradic 2500 but they put tricky little screws in them to stop home handy man servicing 😃
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:02pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

I have had  great run with a Daiwa BG 2500. I fitted a ball bearing to the bail roller (doesn't have one from factory). I have caught several legal kings on it, and snapper to 18.5lb, and it still feel pretty smooth (it's in for its second service now in 2 years).

I got a couple from the US for $75USD each.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 9:42pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To you guys above, I would add little alveys... if bait fishing for the king of the table gurns, but also handy for a JD, or well legal snapper. Can always take something heavier and more modern (I always do) for bigger snaps and kings, etc.
Alvey would be rubbish for softbaiting though. For that have a shimano twin power 400 and a diawa 300 excellar, both long serving reels that stood test of time, and caught some very big fish for little reels. Still in fantastic working order.

Hard yakker... they are not all my fish... you are welcome to some, look forward to seeing you with a photo of a big snap soon.  I will be first to congratulate you... if not 2nd, or 3rd. Go well young man.
Page  <1 751752753754755 849>