Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 741742743744745 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 5:56pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done awesome feed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:38pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good haul of gurnard there Shane, there are probably only a few thousand left in that spot, after the double hit from us. 
 The fishing in our neighborhood, as you had mentioned, offers more for the table in winter than summer, those gurnard are tasty. 
  I'm happy to drift flicking soft baits all day in summer and take only two or three snapps, but the winter gurnard can feed the family and half the street:)
I wasn't so sure I'd find them at the 200m mark today, but the little blighters are everywhere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:44pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great catch shane. Very commendable .

How big was the biggest. Those East Coast gurnard are looking more like manukau gurnard every day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scottyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:52pm
scottyboy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What you guys find the best way to target those tasty little suckers?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:04pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did not measure them today Cirrus but biggest were over 40 cm. I only measure if they are around 45 cm. These were not that big but quite a few would been round 40 - 42cm the biggest at a guess, May be overestimating as fishos inclined to do.
With little rod I fish for them with, you can tell when you get horsie on 44 cm plus ... my best out here is only 46 cms.
Back when used to fish manukau they were pretty common 45 cm plus surfcasting round Graham’s and Wattle bay in late evening in often shallow water.
When I did some time long lining off Leigh back in early 80s, some I saw would been 50cm plus easy. Or at least seemed that big to a kid used to fishing off ti point wharf.
Talking to mate tonight .. we both agreed big gurnard can pull pretty good on light gear. Probably why decent snap or kahawai is handful on same gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:05pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Theres not many left at papamoa Scotty. I used to catch them 10 years ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by scottyboy scottyboy wrote:

What you guys find the best way to target those tasty little suckers?
Habitat, where there are little mud crabs, small baits on recurve droppers, soft rods.. Jeppers.. just given away all my secrets. They can also be fussy on baits they like on day as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Dave, so you were out today?
Another week or so and hopefully few bigger snaps should turn up and disturb the gurnard fishing.
Those little gurnard we can use for livies unless I can start catching some kahawai and yelowtail soon. Saw kahawai on surface today but vanished as put anchor down. 
Yellowtail,  hooked one all day and it fell off. 
My flounder heads are going bit manky, as used defrosted and put back two trips in a row. Still reckon they’ll work one day soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:24pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I popped out this arvo off Tindalls and got 3 plump mid 30’s snapper, all caught on squid that I caught a couple of days ago. Economical fishing session.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:51pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I wasn't out today, I was laying low, didn't want to give the wallopers extra work  measuring my meters from shore. Still it was a beautiful day, stunning, even off the water. I might get out tomorrow...I'm looking forward, one day,  to those bigger snapps coming into the bay.Fighting snapps is invigorating, fighting  gurnard is more like extracting a carrot from your garden, or wrestling your grand mother:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard yakker Hard yakker wrote:

I wasn't out today, I was laying low, didn't want to give the wallopers extra work  measuring my meters from shore. Still it was a beautiful day, stunning, even off the water. I might get out tomorrow...I'm looking forward, one day,  to those bigger snapps coming into the bay.Fighting snapps is invigorating, fighting  gurnard is more like extracting a carrot from your garden, or wrestling your grand mother:)
Give  me a holler if on way past home tomorrow, can provide you with a refreshment, to make walk home easier.
Yes agree big snapper will pull way harder than even biggest gurnard.Big smile. Not sure they taste as good as gurnard fried, but certainly go well in the smoker,  or in bater or crumbed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 9:51pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Getting the feeling gurnard are returning to the gulf. 
Are they on the increase.?
Way back used to stay with grandparents in devonport in school holidays. They had an old dinghy down at stanley bay.
Used to row it out a bit. Caught plenty of gurnard on a handline one after the other. But never a snapper.
Plenty of gurnard back then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:56am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 3:12pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went to Jones this morning along with 3 others luckily got there before the carpark was almost filled! Great day within 3 hours we all had our limit of snapper with a few nice ones over the 50cm mark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 5:03pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Caught plenty of gurnard on a handline one after the other. But never a snapper.Plenty of gurnard back then.
have read that a few times on here from times in the past. From north head to bayswater was prime gurnard fishing, no snapper were around at all it seemed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 5:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 5:38pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Well done lads.
Bit green sitting here awaiting result!

Still feeling fine

Good to hear your still with us Dan. Actually 3rd person I know to be tested in last few days.
Just went for a walk down beach to see what 4 yaks out this arvo caught. All had at least a few gurnard.. and one had 8 gurns and thanked me for sharing a few tips yesterday, which was nice.

Must say looked very perfect out there.  Proper lockdown weather!
Today I cut lawns and did a big walk with my mate Rob round Pupuke golf course.. covered 9 kms according to Rob, plus we enjoyed a few beverages during our walk while critiquing the solo golfers out ... need to make fitness fun.
Might have to sneak out again for kayak fish during week.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:12pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:35pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Read the 200m rule online yesterday. Cant really see why a boat with a motor and observing the 200 m ruling cannot fish. What difference does a motor make.
Maybe time to rename a motor a mobile water warming device.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:38pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Caught plenty of gurnard on a handline one after the other. But never a snapper.Plenty of gurnard back then.
have read that a few times on here from times in the past. From north head to bayswater was prime gurnard fishing, no snapper were around at all it seemed

Maybe as more vunerable species like gurnard ,trevelly etc have been fished down , adaptable speicies like snapper have filled the gap and available food supply.
Page  <1 741742743744745 849>