Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 740741742743744 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 6:01pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 7:43pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was tough alright and very unpleasant at times this arvo off bays when some squalls came through and blew up a nasty chop even with wind and tide.
Still very pleased made effort as took my young nephew out who has been catching some great fish this year off kayak soft baiting round bland bay. He is a pretty handy rugby player too and in last year at Westlake
He enjoyed paddling my wife’s hardly used profish 400 and caught 3 stonker 40 cm plus gurnard,  out fishing my two smaller gurnard.
He also pulled hook on nice snapper near kayak, while my flounder head strayline baiit didn’t get touched all afternoon. 
It is not often I’d say it was a successful afternoon even though weather was crap and when I only have 4 modest gurnard fillets to put in fridge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:41am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:23pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I’m struggling to get out with weekend football and my free days being hit with crap weather.
Needing fresh fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 8:14pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I took my my yak out on Monday, the westerly got a bit brisk but it wasn't too rough. The East Coast Bay's gurnard is not a heroic fish  but they fry up well, so it was worthwhile . There are very few snapper out there, the ratio of gurnard to snapper has been about 20:1 on my last few trips.
 I'm still learning what works in the yak so I added a third rod--two of which had three hooks, but a school shark has taught me this was a bad idea, wrapping all three lines around his tail and the berley cage. I normally let these go but this guy became fish and chips.
 I had been experimenting with hook sizes on ledger rigs, one rig had 3 bar hooks, one 4s and one 5s. This science experiment came to an end when I cut all of these traces off the sharks tail and went back to fishing with one rod with one hook. I had been told 'two rods on a yak is one too many', yes I get it. I'll be heading out again later this week for more of these aquatic pugs.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 8:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 7:52pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went for a walk down beach today on ECB just before noon. Team NZ was out there going hard so clearly ok for us to be out. 
Neighbour was out in his bixby yak for long time in his favourite spot (Sth end of Campbells about 1km off- hate giving a good spot away)  sure would have done well, catching my fish but can’t confirm.
 I couldn’t be bothered and am meant to be working from home which sort of have been. Enjoyed couple red wines later in afternoon though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:20pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I popped out and got a couple of squid off the shore this evening, and still eating snapper from Sunday's trip. Amazing how much more meat you get off a 50cm fish than a 40cm one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:43pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well done TC inspirational. Man I need to get off my behind. Have a 14 ft alvey surfcaster rigged in garage, might have to chuck few baits out tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:12pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was browsing marine deals for a surfcaster this arvo, lots of combos sold out already...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 2:52am
Gold
Gold

I can confirm that your neighbor with the bixby caught 20 gurnard and 4 snapps. Perchance, did you see the poor schmuck dragging his kayak up Beach rd afterwards, he was on his last legs...he doesn't eat out there.
The three rods worked today though, my senses were finely tuned, I was like spider man in the middle of the web pulling the strings. 
I do like gurnard, and so do the neighbors:) A dozen of these were 38-39cm, good eaters. Kahawai bait, caught from the same place of course, is working well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:34am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:29am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Level 3 we can kayak out to 200m offshore I thought?

I will take that on board.
I checked with an 'authority' before the first move to level 3 lockdown--from level 4 last time, and was told kayaking close to shore and within my abilities was ok, so I thought I was good to go at level 3 this time. 
I interpreted safe as within swimming distance to shore for me, and low risk ie. safe weather conditions, nowhere did I note 200m from shore.
I have just checked the updated sportnz pdf and notice some further details  which would prevent me from going out again, but still I couldn't find the 200m limit.
When I got to shore yesterday afternoon the beach was busy and there was no strict social distancing, and not a mask to be seen. I had an N95 mask in my pocket, and like a nutter I would place it over my face when people got near, but if kayak fishing is not aloud under level 3, I will abide.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 1:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 5:34pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hard Yakka you obviously/hopefully didn't keep 20 Gurnard and 4 Snapper? Good average size East coast Gurnard by the sounds
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hard yakker Hard yakker wrote:

I can confirm that your neighbor with the bixby caught 20 gurnard and 4 snapps. Perchance, did you see the poor schmuck dragging his kayak up Beach rd afterwards, he was on his last legs...he doesn't eat out there.
The three rods worked today though, my senses were finely tuned, I was like spider man in the middle of the web pulling the strings. 
I do like gurnard, and so do the neighbors:) A dozen of these were 38-39cm, good eaters. Kahawai bait, caught from the same place of course, is working well.

Good work hard yakker. And yes I missed you struggling past with heavy load. And I was keeping an eye out.
That is bloody good fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 6:48pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The last L3 I fished close by my place on the Manukau
MAF fala was working Cornwallis the day I was out, he mentioned there were heaps of kayakers earlier in that week, on day one of L3, off Narrowneck cleaning up

On the strength of that, you may be able to kayak fish to 200m off shore if safe to do so
I haven't bothered to see any official info on this L3, as far as kayak fishing goes... can only assume is the same as last time

SE wind sux anyway
Will go for a land based mish tomorrow off Huia
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 3:54pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good day on the Gurnies this afternoon, thanks for leaving me a few Dave (Hard Yakka).
Only took 18. Threw few smaller ones back and couple legal snapper. Have few family and neighbours to feed, but gunna be quite filleting job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 4:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 740741742743744 849>