Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 721722723724725 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 5:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 3:36pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Dan for showing me a new spot and nice to meet you MK, cheers for the lift with the kayak. First time out since my hip operation so was trying to take it easy, plan was to score a few JDs and Dan almost put me off this by going and catching snapper! (which he told me there would be none) Managed to pretty much stick with the plan and scored 3 nice eating ones (better than 7 snapper in my books)while being able to laugh at Dans misfortune, got there in the end though. Always fun to fish somewhere new and just adds to the areas to consider each time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 10:05pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good mission, Dan. Can't complain when you have some quality fat snapper as a back up fish when the JDs don't cooperate like you hoped they would. And you had some good company as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:48am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a good morning Dan'o, trust you to pick up a consolation bin of pannies while everyone else is struggling! 
 3 JD's is definitely worth the trip Deacs, well done mate.
Soooo... how did Mike go...? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:57am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:55pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:53pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yet i caught 3 with just the one hook... lose the treble or put it right on top of the other hook, i reckon that treble could even be stopping it from swallowing the bait properly i.e. its hiting the mouth on way in. Or get an even smaller lighter gauge treble that one looks like it would take some force to penetrate......
I have caught 3 now i must be the expert LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So Dan just to throw the boot in Wink a couple of observations.... lighter gauge hooks as Deacs point out will give more penetration. That looks like a mustard hoodlum hook, which is great for kings. As they hit hard driving point in when you strike or set hook with plenty of drag.
Have you tried to use larger 8/0 gamkatsu octopus hook, as will also hold decent king.
Another option if you want to persevere with treble would be use that as the bottom hook and nose hook bait on one of trebles. I am with Deacs though a hook in front likely  impedes fish taking the bait.. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:30pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Could always hook the game hook through nose and treble in down closer to tail similar to what I have seen the Rockit guy tow around on u tube.
I used to flick whole yellow tail out on octopus hooks x2 with the first hook snelled down near tail and the bottom/ end hook through nose- highly effective on snapper and JDs

Nowdays stricttly mustard demons in larger sizes through nose... but don’t get many dory ... keeps bait lively - attracting large snapper, kings and unfortunately sharks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:33pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:33pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you may have answered your own question Dan before you had it free swingingwhen it worked.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:37pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey team I dont have a yak but I do target the odd jd. I use just the treble . Live bait hook let me down to often. I just lightly hook though the shoulder/neck drop down on one off the 3way swivel swims a little wonky but seems to work
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:55pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:00pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gumboot gumboot wrote:

Hey team I dont have a yak but I do target the odd jd. I use just the treble . Live bait hook let me down to often. I just lightly hook though the shoulder/neck drop down on one off the 3way swivel swims a little wonky but seems to work

Hey Gumboot does the sinker sit below bait  on longer bit of trace ledger style?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 1:17am
Silver
Silver

Yup that's. And wonky does seem to bring the killer instinct out of them all so the odd kingi now and then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:58pm
Silver
Silver

Hey Deacs hope you been working that twinpower over. I been smashing the kings on the manukau latly with fish upto 18kg .that offer still stands mate just let me know
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 3:25pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How did i go....i continue to believe that Dan is jonah when he and i are out fishing....big fat duck egg....like most of the black caps really.....livies not problem....not kingie to be seen.....10m away from Dan with same softbait and casting at his watersLOL resulting in big fat nothing while he is reeling them carrying on like he does LOLWink pure jealousy on my behalf  i must admit....but just another day for a good paddle anyway.....got some time off coming up so hopefully weather continues to stay nice and i can go targeting them again.
Page  <1 721722723724725 849>