Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 670671672673674 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 7:22pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I might head north this weekend if the weather is good, want to hit my squid spot again before it warms up too much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 9:01am
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'll be heading in real close as my oldest has been champing at the bit to go out and catch some fish! Just hope my kayak is going to be big enough for the both of us, and t hat its nice and calm. I might have to start thinking about getting him one of his own. What do you guys reckon is a good craft for  a ten year old? Viking Esprit?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 9:02am
Gold
Gold

Did you manage t o find that leak Tele?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 12:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by snapperdapper snapperdapper wrote:

Did you manage t o find that leak Tele?

Yes - I put the kayak up on a panel-stand and put about 10L of water in it. Then rocked it gently back and forth until I noticed a drop of water on the dry concrete underneath.

It is about a 10mm crack on the edge of one of the scuppers under the seat area, looks like a bad scratch that has opened up. Sealed it up with hot glue for now and have picked up an off-cut of the right kind (and colour) of plastic to repair it properly this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 12:31pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I kept my first yak ant the oldest has been using that.

Ocean kayak mysto - factory second due to upside down logo. good weight carry capacity. And can play in the surf. When I used it it was rigged with a ff and I csught my first kingfish off it.

The espri would be a bit better though

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 2:48pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yves I've got an old scrambler in the garage you can borrow if you like? We only use it in the summer for a bit of fun with friends and family. I used to fish out of one back in the day. Pretty stable, especially for someone quite light. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 3:51pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks heaps for the offer Wayno, but yeah, he's not too confident in the water yet- so we'll go tandem in my Prowler. Sould be ok although he's starting to get heavier! Combined were at 110 ish and according to the website it can handle 128kg. Should be cool!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:41pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:41pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:47pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No reports ? Sad .. heard about some more nice fish cort down bays ways this week. A 70 cm by my neighbour on torpedo at my local beach and 5 fish 40 cm - 50 cm) by one angler off rocks between milford and taka this week.
Think will have a go tomorrow as cut my 3 lots of lawns responsible for today.   Had a look at local beach on way home from last lawn and it didn't look too bad out there for SE swell and wind. Meant to go more westerly tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

Welded up my leaky kayak and mounted my transducer today. Might hit army tomorrow arvo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 4:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 6:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report Dan.
I chickened out today as were a few waves on beach this morning and then it looked cold and windy further out this arvo when I went down for another look.
Did however get full story from guy who caught the big snapper off our beach a week and a bit ago, as he was fishing off beach again today in same place he nailed the big one.
Fish was over 10kg and 90cms, and he reckons it took over 20 minutes to land making huge runs and watched by large crowd of on lookers. Was caught 10 kg nylon on a long cast Chinese reel using three piece okuma 14 ft nano matrix rod in late afternoon at spot very popular spot for beach walkers. Guy does have a handy cast on him, maybe out to 100 meters based on my observation today. Fish eventually beached itself in shallows allowing angler enough time to gaff it.
Good on him.. it's biggest fish I know of taken off the bays in 30 years. If only I hadn't been crook the last few weeks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:48pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Off Langs again this afternoon, had a crazy session once i found a few birds catching double figure snapper on my kingi jigging gear and 250g jig! Let most go had a decent battle with a 16lb snapper on a slider which couldnt be revived, lost another 2/3 snappper and 1 really good one on the slider seem to constantly lose big fish on them not sure what im doing wrong but think they may stay in the box next time the hooks look a little more open than inchikus.... was quite gusty out there so spent quite a bit of time paddling but well worth it to fish in amoungst the work up... only saw one king. Plenty of people spying on me with binocs and wanted to chat as i came up the hill haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 9:25pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 10:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds great Deacs! How far out are you paddling, and is it a surf launch? I might have to head norther than north if it is that good!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 5:15am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:01am
Gold
Gold

Enviable reports guys! Sounds like its starting to hot up :-) I headed out with my oldest with the aim of targetting snaps about 3o meters from the beach, but within the first few paddle strokes my gut was telling me it was a bad idea, so I headed back to the beach. He's grown so much scince our last outing the yak felt unbalanced. The little guy was upset, but the lesson that day was to always trust your gut. I always do and it hasnt let me down. So despite the tears we ended up having hot chocolate and anzac biscuits and started planning on how he's going to up his water man skills so he can start paddling his own :-)  I was hoping to get out local later that arvo, but the wind picked up and I had heaps of chores to finish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:15am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 670671672673674 849>