Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 669670671672673 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:33pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know, Dan... it's fun catching snaps on a little graphite or alloy Twinnie or Brazino mini reel ... on an expensive hi mod graphite light rod with brilliantly coloured light braid that probably breaks over 20 lb.
But hard to beat the pull on an alvey or old metal spin fisher (manly reel) on proper 6 or 8 kg pre-test nylon that you can actually feel the big tail thumps through an old e- glass rod.
Progress ain't all what it seems....
As to areas ... Leigh versus here, don't reckon there's that much in it now. Will be less in it it for sure as time and fishing pressure marches on. Sadly! /
Definitely agree on livebaits though .. šŸ˜‡
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 5:25am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 8:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fair call Dan and my bad on the Leigh & MB assumption. But definitely helps me narrow down where you might be fishing ... if I ever motivated enough to put yak on to roof of car in search of greener pastures in spring.
Good to hear see value in glass rods, although I m a bit of a hypocrit and must admit to presently enjoying using a light graphite rod with a 40 yr old alvey . Whatever works I guess... and I still softbait when conditions suit.

Stella 4000 sounds nice... thinking getting another spinner at present in 6k to 8k size.

Actually love combining something new with something old. Would quite like a dam 4001 if anyone has one in good nick or perhaps a USA penn 550 ss ... to go with one of my cheap new glass rods   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 8:58pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

19 lb snapper taken off our local beach this week by a surfcaster fishing off beach (not the rocks) according to the local village grapevine.

Biggest fish I've heard of landed off bays for few years. Hope to get out this weekend for a short paddle to see if it has few brothers and sisters still hanging round.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 6:11pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

19 lb snapper taken off our local beach this week by a surfcaster fishing off beach (not the rocks) according to the local village grapevine.

Biggest fish I've heard of landed off bays for few years. Hope to get out this weekend for a short paddle to see if it has few brothers and sisters still hanging round.

Good report Shane, Iā€™m sure fishing is improving from 15 years ago....
I took my Stradic reel into Greg at GoFish in takapuna this afternoon, the drag was stiff. Within 2 mins he diagnosed problem, drag washers worn out. He put new carbon ones in on the spot and price was really good. Shows when u buy local the backup service is amazing.

Ready to pop out tomorrow if anyone going for a spring fish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 6:46pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm gonna tuck in on the south side of the peninsula on Sunday arvo for the outgoing. Should be reasonably sheltered as long as the NE isn't too strong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 7:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's a great shop Brent by far my favourite as real fishing shop with proper service.
Anyways just been on swellmap, very weird forecast tomorrow pretty light wind, but swell and tides not really well aligned although tomorrow still looks better than on Sunday. Not sure when to go will just have to take my chances I suppose. Probably try earlier and if crap hope it calms down and try later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 8:04am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 9:12am
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah real hard day for us in the boat yesterday we did much worse than the kayakers with only a few pannies. Should have stayed at Langs, had a ripper of a day with dolphins and a few gannets, could see kingfish everywhere, old man got his PB snap of around 12lbs in the week of his 65th birthday. I got my PB snap off the yak at around the same size and also my first kingfish which went 12kgs both on live pillies and on a set i took out to catch John Dory, had a nice tow around.... all within about a km of the beach. Hopefully the pillie boats don't come any further south for next week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 5:58pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gee deacs that's pretty good fishing off Langs. Seen it like that in spring few years ago as have mate with bach there.. Last we time fished there we got big snaps up by Waipu camp and had good session school kings just off Langs .. managed to snap softie rod on a rat throwing it over side before had unhooked it,with rod in rod holder.

Good to see you got a nice feed of snaps Dan.

I didn't get out yesterday but did get out and give boat a long needed run this morning. Went this morning as my brother wanted me to take him and my nine year old nephew out. Brother got one ok 40 cm on arrival but was slow after that and we soon had to come in early as young fella started feeling sick, just after I got my one and only decent run.

Back at castor bay was good to see two kayakers we had passed going out who had been braving sloppy conditions out round back of Castor bay reef / kenenedy park direction had done pretty well. They had not caught anything out in rougher water, so said they had come in close to the more sheltered shore line just between the marina entrance at Milford and Castor bay beach. They had at least several nice fish 40 cm plus they were gutting down one end of beach.... feeding the sea gulls.
Easterly must have pushed a few better fish in close to spot which occasionally holds fish. Hard case where good fish can be found sometimes... literally less 100 meter paddle along beach launch point.

Also helped support favourite tackle shop saturday morning with purchase of a 6000 size penn fierce spinner based on favourable reviews and my curiosity around value for money reels... and to take out some less expensive kit out for enevitable day I drop one of rigs overside or worse capsize in yak . as not a fan of leashing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2018 at 8:42pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Launched at Arkles this arvo around 2.30pm. Was a lot more easterly than I was expecting and pretty rough with the outgoing tide against the wind. Drogue off the front and zman new penny curly tails on 1/4oz jighead worked ok with 5 snapper to around 40cm and 1 gurnard kept. Best bite time was around 5.30pm just before low tide. My mate did better than me on a 40g slider. We were fishing in around 11m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:00am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did any of you guys notice the water temp over the weekend?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:34am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:41am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we had 14. 4 so still pretty cold, will hit RP in october
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 1:17pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not a bad haul nonetheless Muppet :-) 

Pretty slim on t he south side of the peninsula sunday morning. Saw sign, but struggled to get them to bite again. I only found one patch of snapper that was game, and then only took three as I didnt want to damage the school too much. Spoke to another fella who headed off the northern end and they didnt do too well either...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 4:20pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sure felt quiet out there on Sat. Not many bait schools, only sporadic snapper schools and bugger all birds. RP was quiet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 4:28pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like its still a bit early and a bit cold for the springs schools. Wont be long though!
Biggest challenge these days is negotiating with the mrs whenever she trys to book weekends away in October!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 5:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 6:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 669670671672673 849>