Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 655656657658659 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 8:38pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Deacs , welcome to forum
I run a pretty basic Garmin striker 3.5 inch chirp sounder which works great off motorcycle battery. No gps but I fish usually in areas I know really well off the east coat bays where usually confident general area and am only using sounder to position on to a few fish marks or specific structure.
Having said that I saw another yak near me in weekend with an Englishman on it that looked to certainly have larger more advanced electronics on it ... and probably used more often and in situations in deeper water or where drifting when both a gps or more powerful sounder would be useful.
The Garmin striker chirps are great little value for money sounder in 50 meters or less and super easy to use... I also run Garmin on my boat now, am fan of their operating simplicity. Way better than most of what I had on boats over the years.

Captain Famous sad we didn't see you up bays in weekend. You should try up this way sometime as suspect maybe bit of eye opener, especially if you leave your long line at home and concentrate on rod reel fishing.
And if your feet get wet or cold and mine generally do get wet, I can highly recommend sharkskin socks, with a pair of little grippers shoes with good rubber soles over the top. Have considered just wearing socks while on yak itself recently... like last weekend. But shoes are handy for walking down the road with the yak to beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 8:42pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

..too quick for me Dan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:32pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Yeah what a funny ol day the Grunters normally bite hard during the tide run but F all today. Ended with 7 and a snap for me. Caught a few kahawai including two quite big ones and a big school shark of some sort which was a mean fight to be fair LOL 50cm grunter on the next trip out I think. 

Good to see u guys out there. Just like a summers day.
I was using burnsco flasher size 5. They have a funny kink that angles back in just before the barb on the recurve. Anyone else use them?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 9:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:29am
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Those sound simailar to the longline hooks a west coast fisherman put me onto for Gurnard. They work a treat on a ledger rig...I'm going to start investigating my local- I'm pretty sure there'll be a patch out there over autumn/winter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:01am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I catch the odd one on softies in BM Yves, I think if you targeted them properly with cut bait and burley you'd probably do ok.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 4:18pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think so too BMY, Ive spent a bit of time out there now and it seems ideal terrain for the little guys. I've just go to commit , anchor up, burley down and test the theory. :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 5:52pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i reckon dragging a small softy on a heavier jighead would work good, I got my 2 biggest ones on Saturday by dragging a 40g microjig and just being ready to pounce on the slightest nibble. I think the lure kicks up some silt and looks like a crab running along the seafloor.

Maybe even add a stinger hook to the tail of a small grub on a bit of assist cord.

I am gonna give that a go off arkles in a couple weeks, I'm up north a bit focusing on squid this weekend (with maybe a cheeky snapper fish at peak tide) - entered into the yeehaa squid comp which starts 6PM tomorrow night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 5:58pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

On the gurnard front, one trip years ago I had amazing success just jiggling a softbait hard on the bottom at anchor. I out fished the baits 5 nil in a 15 minute period. I'm yet to repeat that success though.

Dmitiry and I are entered in the squid comp too. I'll just be fishing Friday night from shore though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 6:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good luck mate, I'm gonna go landbased for a bit after dinner tomorrow, but main effort will be off the yak on Saturday. I have a really good spot which is not accessible from land and too gnarly for boats to get at easily Evil Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:08pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I will be off Waiwera early Saturday morning so if anyone is out those ways say hi, i will be in a green reload looking like i don't know what i am doing :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MS79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 1:59pm
MS79 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Drifted out from the cliffs between Eastern beach and musick point on the outgoing tide this morning.
Ended up with 5 snapper 32-35cm and a big kawahai in the bin.
Zman curly tails in bruised banana and motor oil were the best baits
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 4:43pm
Titanium
Titanium

How did you get on Deacs?

I fished around Leigh mostly looking for squid, got 5 squid but nothing massive. Picked a couple of nice snapper up just south of Leigh Reef on a little hayabusa slider, one mid 30's and one around 50cm. Both caught well up off the bottom in 28m - like 10-15 winds up.

There were kahawai busting up all over the reef and sooties and terns in attendance but it was wind against tide and getting a bit hairy to be chasing birds around. A stickbait would have been worth a shot maybe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 7:54pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished with a mate and drifted basically the waiwera side of the island all morning had enough action to keep us entertained but nothing great ended up with a mixed bag of a nice jd, couple of pannies, a trevally and a few kahawai. Mate got some pannies and kahawai, two others on yaks sounded like they had similar and they fished bait, i caught most of mine on an inchiku. Wind wasnt as friendly as i was hoping so was difficult to travel much further.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

Mate that’s a great mixed bag, just missing a gurnard to round it off. I managed 3rd in the squid comp so the prizes made it more than worthwhile. One day I’ll break even!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 8:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:35pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one, Muppet. Sounds like that fight with the big red will live in the memory for a while. ANd you got some great eaters as well.
I think Metservice went too heavy on their forecast today, from what I could see while land locked. Glad you made the most of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 5:48am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 7:13am
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Dan!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 8:54am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Took ages to get that snapper up Lester. I was thinking Kingfish for the first two minutes of it but when I saw a flash of red towards the end I was grinning LOL

Awesome, Dan. Would have been a nice bend in the Cousins, I bet. It must have amped up the nerves when those scorching runs turned into brutal head nods. I've never had a fish like that on softbait gear. One day!

Page  <1 655656657658659 849>