Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 644645646647648 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:28pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:35pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'd be eating the trev. Best the next day as sushimi. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:51pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rowboat bob rowboat bob wrote:

I'd be eating the trev. Best the next day as sushimi. 
Yeah I usually do but I was all out of bait but still had half the berley left. Couldn't raise anything on sabiki. Last resort! I did have a good feed of raw fish salad from a big northland trev I caught on Tuesday, 65cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boys you might want take look at the bays... now.!
Go have a look for yourselves, Work ups galore and and mate took 26 lb king off his boat this arvo ... reckons lost another live kahawai to bigger one and caught over 30 legal snaps ..on a small jig, nothing massive but took home a reasonable feed of snapper and a nice king. You can see workups from beach as far as you can see left and right.
I'd love to be out there and might be out weekend but have few other priorities at moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Sound great!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 11:38pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers Shane. I might head down your way this weekend. Keen as!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 12:04pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Boys you might want take look at the bays... now.!

Is that up in Browns etc.?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've seen it from campbells north , but from what I understand from mate they stretch up to toroa point at start of longbay reserve.. so whole bays really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Birds diving flat out off the left side of Big Manly this evening, just out of stickbait range...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain Famous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:55am
Captain Famous View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Two quick reports, one from last Sunday at Waitawa regional park and yesterday from Omana. At Waitawa the weather forecast was not so great last Sunday afternoon. The wind forecast was at the high end of my comfort level so instead of heading out from Mataitai Bay, past the point and towards the islands (where I had previously been tested in high winds) I headed 'left' and then down the coast to the next bay where I reckoned it would be more sheltered. It was, but I was fishing in only 2-3 meters so feeding lots of undersize Snapper who were picking the bait. Anyway, I came home with one Snapper 35cm which although wasn't going to win any records was in good shape, nice and silvery colour. One is better than none..Oh, fished without leggings and forgot to sunblock which even between 2pm-5pm was ouch!

Yesterday I got out on a club trip with EAKFC to Omana and fished from 7am to ~11am. Bait fishing on a range of gear and got 5 Snapper, 3 Kahawai and some baitfish. Best fish of the day, Snapper at 48cm on Shimano baitrunner was great to hear that whizzing away as it grabbed a pilchard chunk and ran with it. Some nice Kahawai, the last taken on the trolled lure as I headed back.

Gear update #1 - thanks Telecaster for the rod to replace my broken tip softbait rod. I didn't take it yesterday but will have it ready for next time. I got given a freezer draw full of bait a couple of weeks ago, so decided to make in-roads on that yesterday instead. Hence the bait session.

Gear update #2 - just got a new VHF Cobra HH500. Treated myself to the model that can bluetooth pair up with the smart phone so can also function as a phone extension. 50page manual to read. While the radio floats and is waterproof I'm going to get a pouch or bag for it to help keep salty baity fingers off the keypad and protect it from scratches before I take it out. The predecessor (think it's an ) Eagle EHR-10 is over 10 years old and the battery pack is not lasting during trips out.

"Out"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 2:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice reports CF ... those pilchard chunks (cubes) work good .. we use cubes a lot hooked in a way which makes it hard for fish to take off, hook em from top of shoulder. Wouldn't ever thought to hook em like that till I was shown and great way to get more baits from bigger pilchards.

Bays fished well yesterday for us, with plenty good sized kahawai working within 200 meters of shore and quite a few chunky snaps underneath to just over 40cms. .. my favourite eating size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 5:18pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kauri point was buzzing out yesterday. A mate and I caught our limits, almost all over 40cm. Our first fish was a snapper at 67cm, my PB so far, at about 1pm on a Zman softie + 1/2 oz jighead. 

Interestingly, we caught a few good ones while anchored and softie rods in rod-holders!

Couple good ones on squid when softie action died down.

Disclaimer: We were on an inflatable dinghy with 15HP. Big smile
But I am definitely going back there on the Yak maybe launching from the north shore end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's awesome fishing for inner harbour Mysto. See why you you'd want to go back there soon. Not too far to paddle from Birkenhead wharf either.
Guess you can anchor kayak there but quite high.current area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:31pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 6:52am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Good one Mysto.

Looks like Easterlies for the entire bloody month forecasted Thumbs Down

Lets keep an eye on the west coast swell maybe - I am keen to give it a crack out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:29am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like it was working well everywhere this weekend. I had a quick jaunt round to the neighbouring bay on Sat morning, rounding the point to see sporadic birds diving in and around the bay. It slowly got more and more concentrated and after chasing them around for a a while managed to find a few good snapper underneath all the KY. Took home 4 good size KY for the smoker as well, there are some big fat ones out there at the moment. Surprisingly not many others out there, one or two boats and another yakka.
Was walking the dog yesterday early arvo and saw a big workup down the western end of our bay, biggest I've seen down there for a while - it wasn't as rough as I expected it to be so I nearly raced back and grabbed the yak, but couldn't cut my lil' buddies walk short!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:47pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I swing past my local for a few minutes before heading home. Birds have been around too, nothing massive but boilups here and there. I'm heading out with the yak this arvo, so lets hope they're around...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 1:13pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Let me know how you go Yves.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:35pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 11:29pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I will be asking for a leave pass for Friday.
Weather looks mint!
Page  <1 644645646647648 849>