Anyone Know.........?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2-EXTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Know.........?
    Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 8:41pm
2-EXTREME View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Today whilst fishing soft baits I continually got pulls as opposed to hits and could feel the varying tugs and swimming motion of whatever was grabbing my SPs. Regardless of what I could do I could not hook up. It was not reef fish etc as I am familiar with those. And I was not losing any tails and my baits remained almost perfect with occasional marks towards the head.

Anyone know what it could be...? I am maybe guessing Squid??
"DRY YOUR EYES PRINCESS THE PAIN YOU FEEL IS ONLY WEAKNESS LEAVING YOUR BODY"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 8:46pm
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

SQUID SQUID SQUID SQUID SQUID AND MORE F###ING SQUID!!!!!!!!! HOW DO WE GET REVENGE ON THOSE POXY GULP NIPPING BARSTEWARDS!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2-EXTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 8:54pm
2-EXTREME View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ahhhhh thanks BTW you where in the same area as me so you are probably damn right.

Are they easy to catch with a Squid Jig to dish up some fresh calamari on my dining room table? And if so how do you kill and prepare? I am only familiar with buying tubes from fish market etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 9:25pm
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Guys had that like 3 moths ago when the snapper bite went stone cold
so threw on a yozuri squid jig and 1 1/2 hours later had 15 squid 6 over
60cm in length while the snapper were waiting for the tide to turn after
that fished ducked off for afew more snapperand that was an awesome 
day. It was awesome fun mate we were driting in between other boats
while they were anchored catching not 1 fish.
Heres how i rig them for fishing of the softbait setups

This squid measured 70cm thast was a 66cm trevally and some 3-5lb snappers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 9:32pm
Gold
Gold

Damn good plan Carbine - one question - what colour was the inside of your boat after that lot had finished shooting their load???

Any recipe suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 9:36pm
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh and theres afew recipes in the kitchen from badfish and i think badfish might know how to look after it after being caught i wouldnt have a clue

Originally posted by betterthanwork betterthanwork wrote:

Damn good plan Carbine - one question - what colour was the inside of your boat after that lot had finished shooting their load???

Any recipe suggestions?

Not 1 drop of ink on me or the boat trick is DONT lift them out the water when they are near the surface what you do is slip the net under them and grab the lure and twist it upside down while the squid is still in the net and that will unhook them easy as anything. Then while they are still in the net and in the water whack them and shake up the net and really agrivate them so they ink while inside the net and still in the water after afew squirts get them in the boat and in a bucket.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 10:36pm
Mr Bean View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lots of squid around at the mo.....Carbines on to it.......I fillet small thin slices of pillies and slide it onto the barbs of the squid jigs to give them a bit more scent and flavour.....works a treat.......fresh squid rocks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2-EXTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 8:06am
2-EXTREME View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers Carbine, I appreciate your advice. My thoughts are fresh calamari for the table, then using the heads as juicey moocher bait !!! Yeah !! Big%20smile

Good idea too Mr Bean.

I will check out Badfish's advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote phantomdeviant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 9:00am
phantomdeviant View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good looking Broadie baits there CarbineThumbs%20Up
Skirt Pulla
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Dish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 10:11pm
Fish Dish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You will also sometimes see what looks like tooth marks in the side of the soft bait. Looks like the front teeth of a big snap, but it's squid. Sometimes you can foul hook the squid, when you get them to the surface and keep lifting and dunking them - get them angry so they squirt their ink out. Make sure its not into your boat, unbelievable how much they can squirt.

Sometimes they will come up following your soft bait, unbelievable how quickly they will rush at it and grab ahold of it.

Interesting little critters.
One more Kingie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 3:46pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

what depth of water are they found?.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 3:52pm
Gold
Gold

I don't know the full range but certainly near the bottom at Motuhi Channel in about 12 metres
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 8:38pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone caught them in the BOP?  Last time I was out off papamoa every cast, approx half way back to the surface on my "wind in" i was getting a grab but nothing seemed to stick, didn't see squat on the sounder, apon reading this thread, I'd just about gurantee that I was getting squid grabs, cause the softbait was getting pulled down the hook, it'd go heavy, give it a couple of pump and winds then it'd be gone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 8:49pm
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats a squid mate sometimes when they do that reel it really slow to the surface and they will sometimes follow to the surface just have some cheap squid jigs sitting in the box ready to throw over and bam you will have squid - just always keep tension on the line all the time so they dont have a chance to ecape
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 10:25pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cat food - Thats all its good for , especially for the feral cats LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fastjig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 7:46am
fastjig View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Another thing to do with them is to put a hook in them and send them back down great live baits for big snapper and kings
If there is doubt, there is no dobut.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seansurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:47am
seansurfy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

beware of the psycho squid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2-EXTREME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 9:58am
2-EXTREME View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

LMFAO LOL