Marlborough Sounds

Page  <1 34567 297>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 5:54pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=Doonage]In the past I've found that if you get sea lice attacking your bait you won't catch any snapper.

your right there Doonage the signs were quite good going on dusk with some of the baits(pilchards)being ripped to bits in one bite but no runs ,when wound in the bait you could see the pillys missing the gut area but head and tail still there as soon as dark hit nothing then lice crawling all over the pilly so gave up ,,,,,,have been working in golden bay wharf and seen some trawlers come in with cases of snapper some going up to 9kg talked to the skipper on one boat and they getting them just off patons rock he says the bay is full of them right now first time in two yrs they have been like this so he reckons will be good season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 9:52pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just wondering what would be a sensible size boat for heading out to Nile Head during the winter? Assuming that trips are planed around good forecasts but taking in account the unpredictability of the weather.

edit:

Also during the nor-west winds is the visibility better on one side of Port Underwood then the other. Until recently I only dived from the shore, and since getting my Kayak I only used it for diving twice. So is the North side any better for visibility?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 7:08pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

winter best time for nile head you will find if forecast 10knots it will stay 10knots as for boat size well considering the length of journey even from frenchpass to nile head is along way i would prefer a miniumn size of 5.80 ,i would not attempt it in say dingy 16ft,, 25hp so to speak,when at nile head it takes some scouting to find fish they can be in just mtrs from rocks or out a little further so really you do need a decent size rig to do it ,,,,hey if your real keen to attack that area im more than happy to take you that way you will be comfortable and safe

on that side of durville and if unexperienced its no place for the novice fisho ,nile head is just one of the many places to go once up there we usually start there but continue out past stephens and there is nothing to protect you from the elements of mother nature i have been there and seen big seas come up so fast it can scare you ,if you never been up that side its more than better to go with someone who knows first just to get a vibe of the joint ,,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 10:24pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

True, I know how unpredictable the weather in outer Sounds can be. We use to frequently fish Port Gore in my parents 5.8m Naiad. One strange weather event was on a nice bright sunny day when low sea fog quickly engulfed the entire area. The trip back around Cape Jackson was a slow one. Port Gore is quite a dangerous place to fish because it can remain calm inside the port itself while the sea roughs up around Cape Jackson.  

I would be keen to go on a few trips out there with you, mainly to get a feel for the area. The nearest I been was on a charter boat which went to Rangototo Island. During the Summer I sometime paddle across to D'urville Peninsula from French pass but that side is a bit more sheltered.  Going to circumnavigate the whole island sooner rather then later. Just need a more capabel kayak. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 7:45pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great weather this weekend :)

Thinking of launching my Kayak at Okiwi Bay and going for a fish,  probably around Whangarae Bay but if its a nice day might head for the Islands. Any tips for fishing this area at this time of year?

Does anyone know whats going on with Hori Bay road?  Nelson Forest Ltd once allowed public access through there but it now seems to be closed indefinitely. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 12:22pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm heading to French Pass tonight for three days so hopefully the snapper are hungry. Anyone heard of any kingi's? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 6:05pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well launched my boat 5.00am sat morning at Motueka wharf ,tide was low and what a battle to get out through the channels but once out headed out a fair way weather was brilliant ,when the sounder lite up with marks so stopped loaded up the rods with pillies and down the baits went ,water depth of 19mtrs 3/4 way down and slam both of us fighting fish ,result 2 snapper of around the 7 lb mark.down went the next pillie bait got to bottom so put rod in holder went to fish bin to get some burley out and next the rod was screaming so i got the rod in a panic and loaded up on the fish 3 good runs later and up came 19lb snapper ,in the mean time mate was hauling in more of around the 5 to 7lb size so we made the call to release the big fella so we did good feeling letting him go.we continued catching good sized snapper for next 20mins or so but they went off the bite and the only catch was ,carpet sharks,coutta so we went out further and again found them and caught a few more ,the locall trawlers were out scooping up everything in its path but in saying that the fishing was superb and the water temp was 17.4 degrees .is great when we can drive 5 mins to ramp steam for 30mins and have this sort of fishing at our door steps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 6:59pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went for a paddle in Okiwi Bay on Saturday, launched around 9am. Quickly landed two small KY trolling, kept both for bait. Spent the next 6 hours fishing for nothing. 
Was a nice day out there, did not have a headwind paddling back for once. 

Water temp ranged from 16.6 to 17.7 Celsius. How hot does it get in Tasman bay during the summer?

Got up at 4am this morning to fish dawn, spent 30 minutes driving, realised I did not pack my reels last night. Drove home and went back to bed, spent a few hours fly fishing spring creek in the afternoon.

edit: Spent a hour or so surfcasting in the Mahua sounds friday night. Sea was brown with heaps of pine needles and other crap washed down a nearby stream after the recent heavy rain. Just did not feel right so left early.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 5:26pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work BLackboat sounds like you had a great day on the ater.

Fished French Pass on Saturday. My brother managed to catch all the snapper. One was 15lb. All the snapper were caught in the middle of the day in bright sunny conditions. The snapper were all caught within an hour of bitetime.

Sunday and Monday we fished Okiwi. We managed a few pannies, cod, tarakihi and did a little bit of diving for some scallops which are in fantastic condition.

I am heading to Nelson this weekend and was thinking of taking the boat. I've never fished there before and thought I'd take my father in law out. Anyone got ideas for some fishing close to Nelson?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 6:08pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Chopsticks, JTF & I are heading to fish around Durville this weekend aboard the Cova Rose from Nelson.  The owner - Tony, is keen to learn more about jigging so we expect to give the Kingies in the Pass a nudge.  Maybe a Puka jig around Stephens or a Snapper on SB around Nile Head/Bottle Point.  How is this area fishing lately?

Of course, a scollie dredge around Croiselles would be in order Thumbs%20Up.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 5:43pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Conditions looked promising for Port Underwood today so headed out there for a Snorkle. There was a slight swell and a small chop developed. Sadly there was enough movement to distub the sediments so I doubt visbility was much more then 2m.

Only saw 1 butterfish big enough to shot but did not have time to shot, Saw a couple of Moki. Ended up harvesting 7 Paua before heading for home. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 12:42pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anyone heard of any kingi's been caught. A friend of a friend saw some out in the Queen Charlotte when diving for scallop the other week but it's the only report I've heard off. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 8:27pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm looking at trying to catch a groper this weekend (never caught one before)if weather stays good, Has anyone had any success in the Pelorus outersounds past Tawero point, looks like some good holes dotted around the place but not sure if they are productive at this time of the year?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 8:36pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

dobo go out of culdaff pt we catch school groper of there ,,,,,,hang on i shouldnt be telling you this 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 9:05pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tried that place before but tide was ripping too hard to get to bottom I'll try it again, Cheers for spot won't pass my lips!I don't think we get that many local people reading these forums..Well if they are they never chime in!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 10:40pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds still blanking for me. Fished the morning high tide from the shore in the grove arm, Caught nothing, went for a swim. I can easily spend 6-8 hours chasing sharks but 2 hours of Snapper fishing really gets to me. Atleast the school snapper should be around in force shortly :)Only a couple of weeks until xmas and the sounds become to crazy for me.

Been catching a steady stream of big Tope, Sevengillers and nice conditioned Rig down on the east coast beaches recently. Currently have a 11lb Rig in the fridge. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2008 at 10:56pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Aboard the Cova Rose (Nelson) we caught about 12 Kingies up to 18kg jigging at the Pass last weekend.  Also a big bunch of snapper on jigs, softies, Lucanus jigs - not a bait on board!
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 9:28am
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds like the pass is hot atm there Chris good stuff ,,,any good size snapper in your catch ,i supose afew boats will be hitting the pass now 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 4:12pm
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by ChrisW ChrisW wrote:

Aboard the Cova Rose (Nelson) we caught about 12 Kingies up to 18kg jigging at the Pass last weekend.  Also a big bunch of snapper on jigs, softies, Lucanus jigs - not a bait on board!

Awesome stuff Chris Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 9:17pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

a good bunch of the snapper were 4lb - 10lb with an even bigger one lost at the net.
give it death!
Page  <1 34567 297>