Marlborough Sounds

Page  <1 23456 297>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 11:44pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

!!!!!!!!! Epic day for me, got my personal best snapper by a long shot! Fished in Kenepuru opposite snapper point weather was pretty average, nice sun but windy as and constantly changing direction!! Had couple of runs but no hook ups. decided to try ledger rig rather than straylining. Put a whole piper (dead) on hooked through the nose, 3oz sinker and only in roughly 8m of water. This hungry daddy went for it :) weighing in at 19lb

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diverbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 5:40am
Diverbloke View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome fish there dobo-good on ya.the wind can be a pain in the arse inthere swirling round on the anchor alright.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2008 at 7:10pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Snapper.

Spent around 5 hours fishing in the QC Sound, mainly used SP. A combination of drift fishing and trolling, basically only caught 3 small kahawai. Water temp is still around 13 so probably still a bit cold. 

What is the water temperature like in the Kenepuru at the moment? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2008 at 9:34pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers guys,

When I caught that snapper it was around 15 degrees,  week before that was 14 degrees..not sure what it will be around this weekend as unfortunately i'm not going out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2008 at 11:18pm
JigKid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice conditions, nice snapper! Look at that things nose LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2008 at 6:46pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

heres a couple of sounds snapper caught today,25 lb and 21lb,,,caught in 10 mtrs of water 8.00 am this morning ,,was fishing in mates boat and his camera not to flash on pic quality,,both fish nailed pilchards whole ,,both were gut hooked so couldnt release the fish but did release one of around 15lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2008 at 8:24pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome fish Blackboat nice one !! Nice to see theres a few biggies around!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2008 at 9:05pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish, heading to the sounds for a evening surfcasting either Monday or Tuesday night. Hopefully something would be in the shallows around Havelock.

Should probably make the effort to get down to the Kenepuru but not on a work night.  

edit: Was tying rigs, and thought i was out of Swivels, so was busy searching for a pack of Mustard swivels I purchased a few months back... So I looked in my 60L tackle storage container (it is only half full) and found 5 packs of the swivels I like in it  Embarrassed. Although in my panic I did order another 5 packs Big%20smile . Just proves that you can not have to much tackle Clap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 12:30pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got out for some fishing out of Okiwi in the weekend. Plenty of snapper but nothing like the ones caught by Blackboat. Also got some cod tarakihi and a gurnard and a single john dory. (see photo) Got some scallops which are in awesome condition. My bro and his mate went for a dive and got four crays. One was five pounds.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 5:13pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like the fishing is warming up everywhere :) At this time of year it is hard to decide where to fish. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 7:39pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just wondering, are you guys based in Blenheim, Nelson or somewhere in between.
I live slightly east of Renwick. So about a equal distance away from both sounds and the East Coast. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 8:41pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im in motueka there militaris so only venture to pelorus or kenepuru never been in quen charlotte sound to far for travell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 1:25pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm in Blenheim.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 11:10pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spent three hours or so having  a shore fish in Kaiuma Bay, was very calm. Caught a moderate size KY but nothing else. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:28pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Live in Blenheim too, How old is everyone? I'm 25
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 10:33pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 4:41pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished the Mahau sound for a few hours this morning (8-12pm), the gusts made it hard to fish from the kayak. No sign of Snapper but a few big schools of baitfish. 

Found a 50ft deep hole, surronded by 20ft deep water. Do you guys think it would be worth fishing, quite a few bait schools on the fish finder. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2008 at 2:27pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fished kenepuru friday night and sat ,,,when going through the kenepuru entrance sounder showed large signs of snapper but nothing scored ,birds working around mussell farm on left of entrance but nothing scored,,burlyed up 2 boats of us nothing but sea lice,sat up at 5am went right to end basically of heads deployed 20kg of burly around a mussell farm and not a sign of any snapper ,the other boat i was with did catch a shark of around 60-70kg,,speaking to others when washing boat and sounds like no one scored fishing very bleak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2008 at 3:20pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does anyone know if its possible to get land acess to the western point of Moetapu Bay?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 12:04pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In the past I've found that if you get sea lice attacking your bait you won't catch any snapper.

Dived Port Underwood on Saturday. Got plenty of crays and one of the boys speared a few butterfish. Almost all the crays are out of berry now.
Page  <1 23456 297>