Marlborough Sounds

Page  <1234 297>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diverbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:39pm
Diverbloke View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Same as there Doonage-lookin forward to summa-Make sure u post a few trips-let us know how ya gettin on-always enjoy hearing local yarns-mostly mr seasharpe.
must have been able to fish midweek doonage?been dying to get out butseemed wknd after wknd was just ask weather wise!Anywho look forward to a few more posts from our ways-keep ém cumin seasharpe and if ya eva need a boat or fishing rope in giveús a PM
cheers fellas
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 10:19pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just for more info, there is a handful of people on the spearfishing board from marlb/nelson.  There was also a bunch of surfcasters from Nelson who posted for a while in the walk-about section, have not seen much from any of them in a while.  

Huntfish who posts a bit in the jigging section is from Blenheim.

I also beleive there is a kayak fisher or two who sometimes look at the boards.  There is also a bunch of Kayakers from Cantubury which get up to Kaikoura and potentially marlb once in a while. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 7:49am
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nile head is what i would call the snapper city in the winter you have to play around a little with this spot but they are there for the taking ,i have caught and seen others pull out big snapper and the kings are there also ,,,,but its weather protected as it cuts up easily as for cod dont generally bother with it up there as a good trip will land snapper,kings and groper more than enough fish but we never overstock in our catch only what we can eat,,,,,golden bay is now producing scallops as is ketu bay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Blue Meanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 8:55pm
The Blue Meanie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have done a bit in the Sounds over the years.
Moving up to Blenheim in the New Year so will be doing a lot more.
I just have to figure out a way to extract Seasharpe's top secret possies off him....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 9:08pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well have to hook up afew of us and do a trip in be good to meet some of the people on here around our area share abit of knowledge etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 10:14pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im heading there just before xmas going sailing in the qween charlotte sounds for a week what can i xpect bar blue cod that r band now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 10:35pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gurnard, Snapper kahawai, Kingfish, tarakihi and Perch. Lots of  options really.

I quite like catching flouder on rod/reel. Drag a small hook with prawn over a sandy bottom. Spotties are a pain. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 12:04am
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Last year was my first year fishing in the sounds, went fishing in Kenepuru most the time, had mixed results, most the time we caught snapper but only pannies :(  think the biggest was about 10lb :( But all good it's all about exploring and finding the good spots, rarely went past snapper point, usually stayed around the mussle farms near the entrance,straylining mostly. Hooked up to a few kingies but never had right gear to land them! I tried trolling a few times around Tawero point but never had any luck around there. Goal this summer is to try get a kingie (dont care how big it is!) groper and a nice size snapper. Going to give softbait a try too!

Anyone read latest copy of fishing paper? Picture of a school of snapper in the kenepuru (apparently chased by dolphins) but the guy who wrote article + took picture believed there was up to 3,000 fish in this school and average size 12-14lb! and the pic was taken in July! (thought the temps would have been too cold?)

Heard few people been catching them out there tho! Once snow season has finished I'll have to take the boat out and give it ago?

Anyone got any tips on baits to use in kenepuru? I've had best results straylining with a lightly weighted full pilchard on incoming tide through burley trail around mussle farms.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 12:11pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

this is how i do it,,berely up off the bottom and one just out the back,,,you should get bait just out back so catch them,,yellow tail mackerel is what i catch then keep them alive weight them with small sinker so they get to bottom its perfect and the large snapper will nail them ,its no problem to hook 18-20ishib fish in these spots,i always fish mussell farms on points so there is current flow ,,,another trick i do is scatter sardines all around the boat ,they have heaps of oil extract and work wonders,,but patience is also a key,,,,or simply find a harvester working and drop pillies in the berely mix there 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 5:25pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice tips thanks Blackboat, I've caught heaps of mackerel before but never seem to have any luck with them as bait! Do you use the smaller ones and how do you hook them? Kahwai I've had great success with butterflying a fillet with small sinker 1/4 oz and letting it flutter in the current. I've got plenty of patience me and my mates would go after work and spend a good 12 hours on water getting back at 4am! Always nice being on water!

Do you fish inside the mussel farms or outside them? Usually we straddle a wide row and fish on one side of boat, using 2 anchors hooked over the lines to keep us in place (1 front one back) then tension the ropes to get us in the middle, not a good idea if its very windy as the weight of boat tends to pull lines together and if the current is ripping its defintely not a good idea as its a nightmare trying to pull a boat against the current to release anchors! All a big learning experience though!Learnt a lot about fishing last year and look forward to expanding my knowledge this season!

Thanks again for tips much appreciated!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 6:00pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ive used very large yellow tail and its produced very large snapper but average size yellow tail seems more common,i hook them the same as a pilly 2 hook and half hitch or sometime just hook behind the head.as for where to fish on a farm i generally find a wide lane and tie front and back up and cast back into the middle,its worth cruising evry lane with the sounder as you will often find there are holes and small rise,s the bottom is never really flat and i tend to pick half way down to tie up,,heres a tip where to fish try rams head mussell farms,,,bottom of beatrix ,,,,i pick bays in the middle between maude island and four fathoms as that area between gets less boat traffic in the peak time and snapper wont hang around where boats are consistantly travelling,,,,,,,whats your rig you go fishing in dobo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 7:30pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has anyone heard of any snapper being caught in the Queen Charlotte this spring?

Thinking of doing a shore mission tomorow night, the tides look good. Probably should put the effort in and drive to the Kenepuru. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 8:43pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i have been working on a crane in picton earlier in the week and i spoke to a charter guy while having lunch and i asked him about whats being caught and no snapper have been taken ,,,,,,kenepuru has been fishing quite well so that would be my pick,,,,i was going to kenepuru but sundays weather looks ok for a trip to nile head for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 9:14pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, The sea is looking excellent on the weekend. On Friday/Saturday the forecast for Port Underwood, Cloudy/Clifford bay is almost flat and Kaikoura is looking good. While on Sunday Tasman bay is looking calm, swellmap.com is predicting half meter swell with little chop for western point.

So probably would chase Snapper friday night, then would head to either Marfells or Port Underwood for a kayak fish. Probably to early for the kingies in port underwood. If I have the energy maybe a evening snapper fish in the QC. Then up to the Bullert to hunt trout on Sunday. 

Nelson/Marlb offers a excellent diversity of fishing opportunities when the weather is fine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 7:21am
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah for sure, I love the way you can finish work then just head to river and go for a trout fish or into sounds on a boat!

I've got a reflex chanti 515 with optimax 115hp, not really a fishing boat, me and my old man went half's on it, idea was to get a boat I could wakeboard off but also do some fishing. The boat gives you best of both worlds because you can remove the carpet and then just have a bare deck that can be washed down easily enough. It's only good for about 3 people fishing or 4-5 wakeboarding. I'll be heading up to rainbow this weekend for last weekend snowboarding then its fish time!!

Any of you guys had success softbaiting in the sounds?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 11:08am
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I am going to try the Port tomorrow for a dive. The females are now 50/50 out of berry. Plenty of good Moki and Butterfish around last weekend so it should be the same this weekend.
A fella I know went out two weeks ago for snapper up towards Anakiwa but only managed a few Kahawai. The snaps can't be to far away.
I look forward to everyones reports from the weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 12:23pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would probably blank this weekend. 

Last summer I caught Pannies, Blue cod, Couta, KY and Gurnard on Softbait. Mainly fishing the shallower bays towards picton and around port underwood.  Avoid Gulp in the sounds because it is a spottie magnet. If you are after numbers then real bait probably works better. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 9:03am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Decided to check out Tara Bay. Got there a bit to late, tide was near peak. Berely attracted heaps of baitfish. Fished until 10pm, caught no snapper. Had one bite on KY fillet. Was very calm, and the moon gave heaps of light.

Should of stayed in or around Broughton Bay. Might do most of my landbased fishing in Mahau sounds from now on, less distance to drive. 

How does the tide in Kenepuru relate to the tide times at Havelock?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 11:49am
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

keen man there Militaris mahau sound would be a good bet interesting to see how you go if you do go there,,im right now loading boat for morning trip to nile head leave 4.30 in morning friggin boat bone dry on fuel the bugger holds 200ltrs hate the part paying for fuel so tomorrow night ill have a report on how it went
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 5:22pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats the good thing about my kayak, once on the water it does not cost anything to run apart from a few muesli bars and cashew nuts. Although I can,t go on a day trip to niles head with it, the limit is about D'urville Peninsula when I launch from French pass.

Anyway, just gotten back from the Port, the sea was flat and visibility was about the best I have seen it for the area. Speared 8 butterfish, could of gotten more. Awesome diving conditions, lots of big paua around Found a few new cray holes but forgot my weight belt so could not get into them. .  

Page  <1234 297>