Marlborough Sounds

Page  <12345 297>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 12:07pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dived the Port on Saturday. Conditions near perfect. Plenty of crays around but nothing big. Speared some Moki all around the 7lb mark. There were plenty about so just took enough for the BBQ.

Anyone get on to the Snapper?

I am off to Durville this weekend so hopefully will get some kingi's.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 6:07pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good stuff doonage,,i went to durville sunday up at 4am drove to nelson boat in water at 5.45 and off me and the missus went in the dark sea was bit nasty from okiwi but then better once started going up the western side to nile head ,got there dropped jigs down and no joy on the snapper or kingi side ,it was bleak to say the least sounder showed nothing and i combed all round the head ,i did though land some very big cod and john dory just inside nile head which was good but it was hard fishing,shot up to the passage and that to produced nothing so settled for what i got and headed for home,,,,i would say with weather warming fast the snaps have headed for the sounds as they were there about 3 weeks ago as i slayed some big ones,,4 other boats were there and they all failed aswell ,,,the cod are big but you got to get mtrs away from rocks to get them right by all the white wash water ,i used a blue /white jig and yellow/green jig ,,,,,big tides this weekend would be harder to fish ,,,,sea was like a mirror all the way home was great
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diverbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 7:47pm
Diverbloke View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished the passage saturday bb and got sum good groper bites but no hook ups.Jigged hard 4 some cod and one kahwhai.Some guys in the nelson north comp had groper and (a?) kingi-Sunday looked the pick of  the days tho.You reckon those snapper at nile are the same sounds population wintering in the deeper water?Might be worth trying some shallower estuary type spots from now maybe?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 8:56pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

for sure i would bet the snapper are now on the move to shallow waters,,ive fished nile head many times over the yrs and know the signs  3 weeks ago we caught them no problem , things were so quiet there yesterday it was hard fishing ,my mate was there last week and he had same results,,,also  i know  that the snapper and kings are never far apart at nile head and there were no kings around either and i didnt see any work ups anywhere from nelson to top of stephens ,,i even got to nile head nice and early ,,thats my last trip there ill focus in the sounds from now on for snapper,,,,nile head is winter snapper it doesnt produce in the summer thats how ive known it through 15yrs experience ,,,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 7:52am
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm heading to French Pass this weekend. I was going to head to Stephen's Passage but now I am having second doubts if the snapper have dissapeared. I guess if the weather is good I will head up there otherwise I'll try my old favourite snappa spots in Admirality Bay. I do see that the tides are big which will make the drift fishing a little difficult, though. I guess it all depends on the weather.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 5:20pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just thought a few here would like to know a very keen fisho i know at work scored some good snapper on a long line off ruby bay ,i trust his word so looks as though the first of the snapper are in the bay,,,,crimpy also went out off nelson that way on sunday morning he launched just before me very early still dark he wouldnt go if nothing around ,,,,,as i say thought a few would like to know 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 12:47pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished French Pass and Durville over the weekend. Generally speaking the weather was POOP. Due to the weather we didn't make it out to Stephens Passage so most of the time we fished arond Durville. Caught some big gurnard, a few tarakihi, cod and a single snapper. Generally speaking the fishing was pretty slow.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 8:28pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

atleast you got out there doonage and took a feed home,,,,kenepuru this weekend for me
you see the fishing programme late sat night ,adam clancy and crimp they were in the pelorous sound mussell farm fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 8:49pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did something this weekend ummmm.

Surfcasting until late friday night at marfells. Caught nothing.

Recovered on Saturday, did check at the wairau bar but the wind was to strong.

Went fly fishing with the Marlb FF anglers club on Sunday. 

Went for a surfcast monday night at cloudy bay, only stayed a few hours and caught a small shark.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 7:47am
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Blackboat. I didn't get a chance to see the fishing programme on Saturday. Any good tips?

I am heading down to the coast this weekend for a bit of whitebaiting. Hopefully they are still running as my brother who lives in Hokitika said they got some huge runs last week. People were taking wheelie bins down to the river as buckets alone wern't enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diverbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 7:45pm
Silver
Silver

Hey Doonage-at least ya got out-work work work 4 me(fishin's betta!).Headin'to Penzance/pelorus 4 long wkd-weather  dunt look too bright at mo tho-know any spots might be worth a burley session out that way BB?hope 4 a cray & scollie 2.Beer time regardless-have a good wkd fellas-cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 12:03pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have been out in the sounds this week for work, damn it I should have been fishing, anyhow the people I have been talking to have been getting some great catches of big14-18lb snapper. It's all go by the sounds of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 8:12pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

sweet doonage i'm hoping to get out this long weekend, anyone know where the snapper are in kenepuru? Are they near entrance or deep in sounds near mud flats where its warmer? Went out last weekend had afew runs but no hookups (using big baits) water was around 14.5 degrees.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2008 at 10:06pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went for a lazy mid-day fish in Mahau sounds today. Paddled across to the far side and anchored up for a few hours, drifted whole squids, had a flasher rig with squid and a slow jig in the water. A few nibbles on the squid and a powerful strike on the slow jig. caught nothing. Wind got gusty and the sea choppy. Cold and wet at times.  Got back to the car just before 5pm.

Fished awatere coast Friday night, my prawn baits were untouched (again) but I took a third rod and  used piper for bait. Caught a constant stream of red cod and small school sharks. After dark landed a big doggie. Sea was calm, there was thick fog at times I could not see 200m down the beach. Between 8pm-9pm the fog turned to rain so I packed up. 

Would head down the coast for a morning fish, then maybe a evening paddle in the QC after snapper.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diverbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 7:41pm
Silver
Silver

Well not much 2 report after the wkd-sat-pretty windy-lookin 4 scollies where a mate said they were lookin pretty good-4 inch vis at 80ftShocked-flock that-chase sum crays-5 in 10 mins-didnt see another.trolled/jigged 4 a king only cuta happening tho.big burley up sunday morn-no snapsCry
sunday arvo-bloody windy-another coupla small crays then big livies down lookin 4 a kingi-no dice,but something i'd like to try 4 groper
Big burley up this morning for a coupla small snaps,6 cuta & 29 carpet sharks.Angry

Hope yu boys did a bit betta in kenepuru.Roll on summa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 9:52pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spent morning Surfcaster down the east coast, got the normal suspects plus a large KY. They seem to be around in good numbers this year.

Spent evening Snapper fishing one of my spots in the QC, I used acombination of dragging a gulp crab behind my Kayak while fishing Slug-gos outfrount. Conditions were nice but no Snapper caught. Heap of spotty activity.

So far this year I have done 5 Snapper trips and blanked every time. Done double that number after Lemons on the coast for the same result. I must be a slow learner or just stubborn. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 12:04pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No sea fishing for me weekend just gone. I went to the coast for a bit of whitebaiting. Managed to bring home 12lb so not a total waste of time but no the most succesful either.
Hoping to head for a snapper fish this weekend. Did anyone catch any snaps in the weekend?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2008 at 7:23pm
Dobo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No no snapper :( went out briefly on monday, awesome day out there! Girl who I work with her partner caught a 19lb snapper just out of portage and won the competition that was on with it.. They are around just gotta know where I guess!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 5:45pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished Keneperu on Saturday. Fished from 6:30 until 11:00. Not a single snapper run between the three of us who were fishing.  Got one small kahawai. We did notice though that there were garfish everywhere. So we stocked up on them for bait.

Did anyone else get anything over the weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 5:52pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did not get near the sounds.

Just a troll in the lower Opawa sunday afternoon. Found the remains of the Sea Lion Dead. Water is still very dirty, caught nothing.

Sunday evening I headed down to Marfells Bay with the Surf Rods and almost immediatly caught a Lemon/Rig. Also got a bunch of Red Cod.

Think I might wait until the school Snapper turn up before spending to much time in the Sounds. Saturday and Monday was to windy, wet, cold or something to go fishing.

Page  <12345 297>