Marlborough Sounds

Page  <1 293294295296297>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:58am
McRooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hasn't been any updates for a while, what has everyone been up to?

I had 2 weeks in Okiwi Bay in early Feb, water temp was extremely cold, around 15 - 16 degrees. Had a few jigs up the pass and caught a few Kingies although nothing huge, got sharked a couple of times, must be a big bugger up there, chopped through an estimated 15kg kingie like a hot knife through butter.
Took a while to find the snapper, they were hiding out deep which I find unusual for this time of year, must be the cold water. Persistence paid off, we got 6 nice ones with the smallest around 6lb and biggest 15lb. Apaprt from that we had the usual by catch of Kahawhai, Perch, rock cod, wrass and bloody Baracuda! I estimated I lost over $100 of lures to the buggers, tackle shops must love them LOL
Heading up to Nelson for a fish this weekend, weather forecast could be better, but its only a bit of rain, the fish wont mind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:56pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just back from a week at the pass, I have never in 23 yrs or so of going up there seen so many schools of herring and Kahawai. Bodes well possibly for the future, although apparently the area got absolutely smashed at xmas time with 70 boats or so out there fishing. Something has to give. Managed two kingis and a fair helping of terakihi, smallish gurnard, which we put back. some nice mid size snapper. A few grouper were caught, only tried for one day that was enough.
One thing was apparent the number of boats that were travelling big distances to come up that way. Less seals about, and more dolphins. noticeable was the absence of krill. More sharks seen also, bronzies, threshers, sand sharks and doggies'. prospected a fair bit and drift fished mostly with drogue. tried a lot of not normal sites, it paid off.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHNTRU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:36pm
SHNTRU View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys after a bit of info please, I need to know where the closest boat ramp is to endeavour inlet,
so far I have Waikawa bay as the winner, but am hoping for something a lot closer, I see there are private ramps at punga cove the start of endeavour inlet,
my boat is a sea nymph 14'6 with 08 merc 90 so small but decent motor, I have inherited some land closer to the end of endeavour inlet and want to go check it out, unsure of water taxis randomly dropping me off side of the inlet plus I want to be self sufficient i.e my own boat to go to and from,
does anyone know if I can drive up titirangi road i.e kenepuru side over the hill vicinity of punga cove and launch somewhere any suggestions welcome (except stupid ones of course lol) cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:16pm
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

sorry waikawa bay is your only closest option.... only places off the kenepuru road that drop to that side are at mistletoe and torea, neither of which will get you any closer than waikawa.

you can drive out a ways toward furneaux on private land then it turns into walking track. but definitely no way to get boat down.
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHNTRU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:00pm
SHNTRU View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks blue fox, whats the steam time up to endeavour do you think? i rang punga cove and the other lodge in camp bay they both made sure that I understood their ramps are for private use only i spose you dont want every tom dick and me up there, alot of admin sortn out fuel, timings etc to get to endeavour inlet half the fun tho planning n sense of adventure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

I'd say bout 45 mins out to there in your boat if your cruising with light load on in good weather. possibly a little less, im.just guesstimating without measuring exactly and knowing your cruising speed.

water taxis going close by all the time out there which might be a good plan first time if you were a little worried bout getting there and getting lay of the land in the sounds so to speak.
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:49pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys, i'm planning a family trip up to the Sounds this summer. I'm based in Dunedin and plan on towing the boat up as well. 

Would anyone recommend me a place to stay (place to park the boat)? I'll be doing lots of fishing and diving while i'm up there too so any pointers on where to go would be much appreciated! Hopefully tick off my bucket list and hook into my first Kingy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 1:38pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi,

Ok I head up there a bit. If you let us know maybe a bit more info.

- how bigger boat
- you camping or baching
- how long are you there for
- is it a fishing trip or a family trip with fishing
Plus anything else your thinking about
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 2:33pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by JB JB wrote:

Hi,

Ok I head up there a bit. If you let us know maybe a bit more info.

- how bigger boat
- you camping or baching
- how long are you there for
- is it a fishing trip or a family trip with fishing
Plus anything else your thinking about

We plan to stay for 1 week at a Bach that will probably accommodate 6-8. This will be a fishing trip for me and my dad, the rest are gonna do whatever they want LOL We have a Frewza F18 Hardtop.

Looks like Okiwi bay is the way to go, been looking on holiday houses up there. Do i have venture far out from the Bay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stuart165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:54pm
stuart165 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I fish a 5.4 fi glass out of there. If i can i go 35 min to durville and fish there. There are fish around inside the harbour tho. And if its nor west drive to elaine bay or french pass.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:59pm
McRooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As far as launching, parking, fuel and a little shop with some basics, I would say Okiwi Bay as well, be prepared to head up to the bottom of D'urville for descent fishing, I have found anything much closer has been over fished, although some great carrot fishing 2 mins from the ramp still. If the weather is bad you can tow over to Elaine Bay, you have a better chance fishing out there if its a bit sloppy on the okiwi side. French pass is great but if its during a school / public holiday there's barely room to move, parking is a real issue and the road is still rough although getting better, I see they have sealed another section recently. No secret in finding the fish, look where the boats are and watch what they are doing, you will soon get the idea.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:52pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks, looks like Okiwi it is. Accommodation seems a bit limited though. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:52pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

This thread has died a bit of late , lets see if we can get it going again ?

Went into Kenepuru couple of nights ago and fair hammered the doggies and they fair hammered my stock of snapper hooks. It was all i caught. Had no problems catching piper for baits.

Older guy at the ramp says when the water temp increases the doggies will bugger off. Water temp was 13 degrees.

Saw a guy at the ramp and he had caught a 32cm ? snapper and couple of gurnard one which was 480cm long... i dont know much about gurnard but it looked big. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 3:06pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Booked in for week 18th Feb 2018, can't wait. 

Anyone up there during that time? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 4:10pm
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was told yesterday that a few fish have been caught in the Kenepuru lately. I haven't fished it this season yet but 13 deg is still a little cold compared to past seasons where we would start seeing 15-16 deg at this time of year, a bit of warm weather on the way though so won't take much longer to warm up and get them on the feed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:08pm
McRooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

im there 11th - 16th
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 1:47pm
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by McRooster McRooster wrote:

im there 11th - 16th
Nice, leave some fish for me! Will get an update from you before heading up Big smile

You staying at that place you recommended me? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 7:23pm
McRooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yes, staying at that place, will report whats happening when i return.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E Z E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 1:15am
E Z E View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, looking for a bit of advice.
Im taking care of a campsite on the West side of Endeavour Inlet. was wondering what my chances were of fishing from shore are? and is it worth taking any spearfishing gear with me?

any advice would be appreciated 

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:58am
Platinum
Platinum

You might get a stray blue cod if your lucky. But seeing as cod season is closed until December 20th that doesn't help much.

If there's any reef off a point nearby you might get a tarakihi.

There used to be scallops in endeavour, but you can't take them either as season didn't happen again this year as the stocks are so low.

There's normally plenty of spotties and barracoutta round tho.. go nuts on them
Page  <1 293294295296297>