Marlborough Sounds

Page  <1 292293294295296 297>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 7:53am
Gatekeeper View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Still some good fishing in Tasman Bay lads. Good numbers of snapper and kingfish still chewing hard.

Water temp has dropped a couple of degrees making the fish feed aggressively so nows the time to get the last of the summer run before they retreat into the deeper water.

Quick vid from last weekend

There is never a better time to go fishing than now, live the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:50am
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 10:28pm
McRooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi everyone, I see the forum is a bit quiet lately, any reports from up Stephens anyone would like to share?

Real reason for posting, I wanted to ask what the French Pass road is like in Winter, is it safe enough to tow and 7 meter alloy boatduring that period. I have not driven the road for years and never in winter, we are contemplating a mid winters trip next year staying in French Pass. Does the shop in French Pass still sell petrol and is it open during the winter?
Would appreciate hearing anyone's experiences, cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 6:11am
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Roads normally very drive-able most of the year. They have sealed a few pieces of it now. The corrugations can be a pain sometimes. The main danger is the ice on the way into Okiwi bay but just take your time or if you go later in the day then should be sweet.

The store still sells petrol and if not manned just go tap on the dudes door and he will come down and fill it up. Not much food in the shop so take plenty.

The fishing has been reasonably good up there on the days you can get up there. This would be one of the worse years for wind i can remember but thats mother natures way of protecting it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Oneandgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 9:13am
Oneandgo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A group of us just spent a few days fishing based out of Dryden Bay in the outer Queen Charlotte Sounds and when you mentioned wind you certainly weren't wrong. we had WNW Gales all 4 days but we still got along Cape Jackson for a fish, the wind was howling but the Sea was fairly flat until mid morning Saturday and it heaved itself up a bit and the rain came in making visibility next to zero, we had to come back in using Radar and chart plotter.
We had good catches of Tarakihi using berley out towards Kempe Point and got a few good Gurnard drift fishing out between Kemp Point and Motuara Island.
Heaps of Blue Cod about but the Majority are just under size around the 32cm mark but we got some big 46-48 cm ones right on turn of the tide,we even managed to get a schooly Groper in 18m of water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 10:00am
McRooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the feedback, good to know, we will leave it til lunch time before departing Nelson, going to aim to stay 8 nights, hopefully we get a few good days out of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 10:54am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by McRooster McRooster wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, good to know, we will leave it til lunch time before departing Nelson, going to aim to stay 8 nights, hopefully we get a few good days out of it.

One of the good things about French Pass is that, even when windy it is usually quite changeable out there and you will have good spells.  
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote veitnamcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 8:39pm
veitnamcam View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tasman bay has been awesome for gurnard the last 6-8 weeks but I am bloody itching to get up the top end of durvil and land my first legal king, never fished it before and only have a 450 fryan so bloody mindfull of the weather.

Thinking launching at okiwi for day trip rather than beating the boat and trailer on the gravel for another hour? to French Pass?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 7:59pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dependant on the wind a trip from french pass to d'urville would be better in a boat your size, than from okiwi especially if it cuts up a bit, the ramp at pass can be interesting with northerly slop, timing the drop off right on ramp is the secret, but in 20 years of fishing up there in march, i would say there's only 5 times in all those years that we couldnt launch boat and i started with a little 13' tinny.
Road in is fine only issue is the gonks that think its a rally section or assume they are the only one on the road. the view is woth the drive alone.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 7:07am
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

SAVE OUR BOAT RAMP - NELSON MARINA

Right that got your attention. We need your support to get a better designed launching ramp and more car parks at the Nelson Boat ramp.

Walking 1km to park a boat trailer is not where its at in my opinion.

Power boat owners are the biggest users of the marina but we are just individuals. We need a voice. 

I have started a facebook page to try and get support to help get our voice heard. All the other sports groups and marina users have a voice. 

If we dont get together we will lose more carparks and more facilities.

Go to the Facebook page, LIKE and SHARE it.

Lets here your ideas for the area, do you want to help out?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote veitnamcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:23pm
veitnamcam View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Gatekeeper Gatekeeper wrote:

SAVE OUR BOAT RAMP - NELSON MARINA

Right that got your attention. We need your support to get a better designed launching ramp and more car parks at the Nelson Boat ramp.

Walking 1km to park a boat trailer is not where its at in my opinion.

Power boat owners are the biggest users of the marina but we are just individuals. We need a voice. 

I have started a facebook page to try and get support to help get our voice heard. All the other sports groups and marina users have a voice. 

If we dont get together we will lose more carparks and more facilities.

Go to the Facebook page, LIKE and SHARE it.

Lets here your ideas for the area, do you want to help out?

Good on you for starting something and I hope it gets some traction with the council.
I am not on facebook myself and a huge proportion of outdoorsy types are not either especially in  that 30 plus age range.
As annoying as those constant flyers under the wiper are perhaps that may reach more Ramp users?
I mostly launch at Monaco or Delaware and both of these have bad parking problems too......tho admittedly not as bad as the Nelson ramp.

There is simply not enough places to launch in and around Nelson.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 4:02pm
Gold
Gold

Has anyone heard how the roads are up to french pass and the how the settlement fared?
 ? 
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:25pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My son came out of French Pass today so it is ok i would guess as i have not heard otherwise and is taking the long way back to Canterbury via west Coast and then Arthurs Pass  Cry   Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:03pm
Gold
Gold

Jeez that will be a trip. At least they could get out and home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 5:35pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They were lucky. They got to Lewis pass and they talked to the guy at the Springs Junction road block and he said it will open in 20min, they walked back to the truck and got waved thru. The radio was still saying it was still closed several hours later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote accurate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2016 at 12:08am
accurate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey fellow fisho's not many reports coming through lately (great read when overseas) any reason in particular?? I've just spent a few days in and around Durville and Tasman with some great fish caught and many released on every kind of lure I could find in my arsenal, even a very respectable topwater snapper on light gear which was so cool. Usual wind for this time of year but plenty of opportunities, not many pics to upload though sorry as epic camera fail on day one :(...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 12:40pm
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All - would really appreciate some advice/views.
My old man and I head away once a year for an extended weekend 3-4 days full on fishing he's based in Dunedin and I am based in Kapiti. Last year we went to Waiheke and got into some land based snapper. I've since purchased a 3.5m dingy with a 30hp Yamaha on the back and am trying to work out where to go this year. Really keen to head to the sounds/Nelson as need a location where no matter (where possible!) the weather there is an opportunity to get out and catch some fish. Targeted species ideally would be snapper and kingfish and some gurnard/cod would be great as well. We would be planning the wkd prob in late Feb/March some time. Any advice based on recommendations on location would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking launching from okiwi bay.
Thanks
Tim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stuart165 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 5:40pm
stuart165 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i like okiwi, fish okiwi in any wind except nw and then drive 25min to Elaine bay. im not a very good fisherman so i don't catch much at Elaine but someone with talent would do fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishR52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 1:32pm
FishR52 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes Okiwi would be most likely the best to catch a range of species that you want to target at that time of year. Only like a 10 min boat ride to tick off that range, and it the most likely sheltered area around there for a boat that size. Have a great trip👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:51am
sarge View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I would also consider french pass area, has ramp. Havent use it but i heard the ramp can be difficult when it blows from the strait area, but it will be sheltered from most other directions, others will know more.
Page  <1 292293294295296 297>