Marlborough Sounds

Page  <1 291292293294295 297>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 8:10pm
Gatekeeper View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Just thought i'd give you all a heads up the 2016 Tasman Bay Snapper Classic is all go again with some wicked sponsors on board again.

Kick off is 20th Feb 2016 and there is a $10,000 boat package up for grabs for the average weight snapper. Yes $10,000!!! Its possible you could catch the winning fish off the wharf.

All proceeds go to COASTGUARD NELSON.

There is never a better time to go fishing than now, live the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 10:42am
Joem View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks blue fox and spearo15 .I am planning to head out in the next few days. Will let you know how I get on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murtie12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 4:16pm
murtie12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys

Looking to head out tomorrow for a snapper fish out of Havelock. Anyone know if the pelorus or kenepuru would be a better bet? thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearo15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 6:28am
spearo15 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

both are to busy at this time of year. snapper tend to go off the bite. id prob go pelorous as deeper water to hide the boat noises
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickscott18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 9:13am
nickscott18 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, we're heading up to the outer Pelorus sounds (waterfall bay) tomorrow after work for 10 days, and I'm wanting to target something other than Cod this time round. 
At this stage I'm thinking we'll go after Tarakihi and Gurnard a bit more, and maybe Snapper and Kingfish - does anyone have any pointers for targeting these in the outer sounds.  Mainly what sort of areas we should be looking for on the charts to look for decent areas.
Access isn't really an issue - heading up with a suitable boat, and a decent amount of fuel - but would also like to be finding spots close enough in so its shorter trips.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearo15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 10:50pm
spearo15 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Use burley in the mussel farms in 20m water u will get snap and gurnhard maybe kingfish. Head to chetwoods for tarakihi also use burley and 1/0 hooks. Fish points or drop offs near weed lines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:41am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bluefox_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:21pm
bluefox_13 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You mean apart fromm the ban not including commercial scalloping, paua and crays..... seems like they kind of missed the point.
Yes its cold... no I dont care that you feel the cold easily... no we can't get out....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 10:19am
McRooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh, didn't notice that part, I thought it was a total ban.
The way I see it, the oceans and the fish in them belong to the public, so making recreational only area's in popular and easy to access fishing grounds makes a lot of sense to me when there is so much coast and offshore area's that are not fished by recreational fisherman.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 12:21pm
Joem View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just a quick report. Had a handful of trips to the inner Pelorus and no snapper. Had to head to Crail bay and caught one snapper and 4 gurnard. A lot of boat traffic which seems to affect the snapper especially when it is so shallow. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nickscott18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 5:46pm
nickscott18 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

They say a picture is worth a thousand words - I'll let this one do the talking re my fishing last week up the outer Pelorus.  First Kingfish I've caught, and was an absolute blast to catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:35pm
Gatekeeper View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

nice fish Nick, good work. They are an awesome creature
There is never a better time to go fishing than now, live the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 8:22pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi team,

Any chance someone could through us a bit of bone and point me in the right direction. Been fishing the queen Charlotte and got a few each time but after a king or snap or even some where to catch my 2 cod. Usually I'm not normally struggling at any new location but my mojo seems to have gone on the blink. I did a full hard out solo day around ship cove, resolution. Got a nice carrot, enough pearch for a great feed.

Been trolling around today but only luck was a cook straight sailfish, a big one at that, that did a very good kingie impression.
Any pointers welcomed (pm if it's not a everyone to see).

Signed
Pearch is far better than crumbled fish ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote murtie12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 8:54am
murtie12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi JB. I have been doing a bit around the queen charlotte and to be honest I have struggled as well. Can't even seem to catch my cod at the moment and I have heard others are struggling as well. Have also been trying for a king but no luck thus far. A mate nailed 2 or 3 kings about a week ago around the ruakaka bay area. He said he just spotted a school or baitfish with birds etc and towed bibbed lures around the area, would hook up, catch king and then find the baitfish again and repeat the process. But then I tried this 2 days later with no luck so who knows. For snapper I have always done better heading back into the grove arm and there are some carrots in there also. good luck and have fun 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 6:07pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers murtie12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 7:51am
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spent last week staying in endeavour inlet. Fished around ship cove bottle rock and pickersgill with no luck. Fished 16 m in endeavour for lots of cod to 46cm and one undersized king on a ky lure. Great scallops, fat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:26pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well its that time of year again soon, a week up at the pass in march, whats been happening up that way?

Looking forward to another good week, last year was first time for me catching Kingies in 22 yrs FFS!
 Ended up getting two, on a zed spinner, one went back as an offering, the other didn't.

We seemed to have best results drift fishing.

looking forward to it. 
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 2:27pm
McRooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just got back from 2 weeks in Okiwi Bay, weather was excellent but hot, 27 degrees pretty much every day, water temp was between 19.5 and 21.5 over the 2 weeks. Got 8 snapper, a couple of good ones 8 - 10 lbs, a massive Kahawhai around 8 pounds, a few Terakihi and Gurnard and of course plenty of Cod, I don't know what the ministry is on about with the Cod population, they were an absolute pest, we couldn't get away from them, even catching them in 30m on sandy bottom at least 100m from any structure and there was some big buggers, one was 52cm, could hardly get my hand around it, maybe they are struggling in the sounds but on this side of the pass they are prolific. A good time was had by all, but wish I had another week Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote McRooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 2:30pm
McRooster View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Forgot to mention, had a couple of rat Kingi's on jigs but nothing when trolling, had them following our catch up a few times and hanging around the boat but certainly didn't see them in the numbers or size of last year, still plenty of fun on the light gear if you can hook them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 4:14pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What a week ! got out everyday, bit wet and sloppy on ramp with the southerly over tues and wed. 
But hey, lots better than festering in a house with a lot of grumpy wet fishermen.

Terakihi, gurnard, snapper. jock stewarts, Kahawai schools by the 00000s good sign, at last they're getting over the aussie cat food slaughter of a few years ago. 

Quite a few big charter boats out with BIG numbers on board, spose they have to target something seeing the STUPID cod rules are getting every other species hammered. They've smashed all the groper into submission judging by the other boats  0 catches.

I would take a bet that if you went 5 minutes and stopped for 1 drop for 24hrs over 6 days you would catch a cod, the bloody shags decimate them more than anything.

Perhaps time to rethink catch and keep rules. ???????

Must admit we fished mainly old school just prospecting and with a depth sounder and current as our main tools, lots of drift fishing, looking for workups or water disturbance.

Due to sea conditions we got to see a lot more of Durville etc. 

We noticed a few boats from Okiwi and nelson making their way up daily, perhaps a sign that their areas are getting hammered too?  More than any other year.

One great thing about the area is the lack of people (apart from snivelling freedom campers) No road sense on tight shingle windy roads, can't concentrate on the phone, ipad AND drive can ya? Oh your a visitor thats ok then we're making more NZers eventually.

One pleasant surprise on the way home the PUB / restaurant at ward worth a stop for lunch, very good service, food great and a nice attitude, jeez some of the braindead gonks that serve down here could learn a lesson in civility.
 Bugger Blenheim with no parking and vicious traffic snarls, road lice crawling along looking at google maps.

Once again another bucket list racked up for next year.  

BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Page  <1 291292293294295 297>