HALL OF FAME

Page  <1 23456 22>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sAsLEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 5:28pm
sAsLEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not the biggest, but my first.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CRAYMOUNTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 7:38pm
CRAYMOUNTS View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Better put at least one in here for now 14 kilo of mokes snap,he ha.
CLASS CRAYMOUNTS DONE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Screamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 7:06pm
Reel Screamer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

First Packhorse crayfish caught up North out of Doubtless bay. Biggest one went 3.5kg.

And a 3kg Trevally taken from a school of Parore at the chicks the other day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mumford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:59pm
mumford View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So our xmas adventure started in auckland we drove to wellington and then proceded to drive the entire east coast and east cape on the way home,This taking 13 days. After 10 days of undivable murk we spotted a clear spot in te kaha. I swam out and afer 15min had this on the end of my gun. This is my first ever kingi and it came in at 20.7kg.I dont think the smiles ever gona go.
http://www.facebook/depthchargers.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 11:23pm
Chaff View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not up to the standard of most of the 'hall of famers' on here but it was my birthday and my biggest kingy and snapper to date. Got the Kingy back from Taratara smokehouse today, very professional service, I highly recommend them, hope it tastes good too!!! :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kelpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 4:28pm
Kelpy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

5.5kg snapper off a burley

10kg snapper on snoop. first 20+lber

First Boary Taken from the Hen
dont weigh it, dont say it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kelpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 10:28am
Kelpy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=_Jimmy_ ]

where can i get a set of spear crazys scales kelpy. it's about time i got some.

spearcrazy wasnt with us when i shot any of these fish and i was using  my mates scales which also weighed this fish. which went 23 on the scales.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Northland Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 12:15am
Northland Bill View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

First ever snapper. Shot in the BOI, went 15 pounds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -Luke- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 6:33pm
-Luke- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

There's 2.2 pounds to a kilo, not 4.

Clap

Rolled out for a film at GBI last sunday hoping to find some clean water.
Found some ok vis (15m hazy) on the mainland side so jumped in only to have the camera sh*t itself on me. Got the reel gun out and had a play on a reef while the crew was targeting crays. The eastern side of the reef produced two good boarfish on a shallow weedline (8-12m). The western side had some good ledges that produced a couple of good snaps snooped within 5 minutes of each other. Saw a few more good ones over another ledge on the way back to the boat but had fish in both arms with no floatline. Haven't had a spear in a while so was pretty stoked. Fish on right was 19LB.. unsure of left. 

www.aquaticrehab.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pomahaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 11:00pm
pomahaka View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 2:16pm
Gundry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Prob not really worht of hall of fame but its in my own hall of fame haha.  The fish in the inside is the biggest Butter fish I ever had and to be honest next to my kingy is the 2nd biggest fish i have snotted so far.  Just was thinking I might contribute my litte fish.  This was over the break in matarangi these were shot north of Anareke point Im not sure of the name of the specific bay we were in but was the most butter fish i have seen 2 was enough for a feed though.
Winter is Meh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gundry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 4:04pm
Gundry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always keen for a BBQ didnt weigh the fish or measure it but it was almsot as long as my arm from shoulder to wrist so I would say around 60-65cm mark and as far as weight goes I would say somewhere between 2.5kg and 3.5kg large range. Was not really thinking about it at the time to be honest was actually lucky the missus came around the corner before I got to the filleting table so managed to actually get a picture of it.  Got a couple pannies that day as well was a great dive in fairly average Vis but was a first for me on many levels, first shark seen while diving for instance as well as the narliest swell surge I had been in up to that point out at some place called lion rock I believe.

Winter is Meh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Geofinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 7:53am
Geofinz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Being a decidely average spearo I thought this fish might be my only opportunity to post something in the hall of fame. Out at Gt Barrier on RQ, needing a break from my unsucessful snooping in the shallows I found a shallow weedline around the 8m mark. I thought, who knows there might be a boariie hanging around but didn't really expect to see one. So I was delighted when I saw this guy from the surface, swam down and he turned nicely to present me with the easiest of shots. Back on the boat he went 7.7kg. (edit btw my very first boarie)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 1:37pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you hold it up to the camera it gets biggerLOL
a rare calm day in the caribbean during winter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigbrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 10:21pm
bigbrett View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So headed up to the Bay of Islands for a work sponsored cruise on a well-known tourist boat.  Anyway work sponsored cruise = work paid for spearfishing session!!!  Anyway got into the water on Friday night as the rest of the workmates were preparing to fish - viz was less than 1.5m so after a few dives to the bottom not being able to see anything I decided to pack it in.
Saturday morning quick dip at Mussel Rock - no luck.  We then cruised around the BOI until anchoring up near some islands (which shall remain nameless)! 
Workmates went ashore to explore and I swam the approx 400m to the nearest rocks I could see around the island.  Viz was approx 7m so I cruised around in close to the rocks and decided to burley up and attempt to get some snapper.  This is where it is important to note that I have NEVER shot a snapper before!!  Anyway after about 30min in the water the snapper came a calling - took a shot at the biggest one I could see - hit it but unfortunately it was a gut shot and it tore lose of the spear!  Disappointed I continued on my mission to get something to eat (plus I had talked up the fact that I would shoot something on this trip that if I didn't the shame would have forced me to resign!!).  About 30m from where I had set my first burley I found what I thought looked like a fantastic spot to hunt bigger snapper so again the kina burley was set and I lay in wait.  My patience finally paid off when about 10min later more snapper moved in - most of them smaller than legal, but on the edge of viz loomed a larger snap.  I waited for him to come closer and the struck!  Nailed it near the top of the head in a good holding shot - problem was like the newbie that I am I had shot down and my spear was now imbedded in the sand at the bottom with this snapper going ballistic!  He made his way all the way up my shooting line where he was promply ikied.  Satisfied that I had shot a great snapper I continued the hunt and after about 30min I came across a nice gully approx 8m deep, saw a snapper below me, but rocks everywhere so no shot was on.  Decided it would be a great idea to chase this snapper out of the gully into more open space so I could get a shot off.  Did exactly that and once in open water, approaching from behind the fish I dived down and levelled off at about 5m to line up my shot.  As I did this the fish turned broadside presenting a nice target.  Fired off and nailed it just behind the gill plate.  The snapper then proceed to got ballistic - as expected, but unfortunately for me it dived straight down and managed to get the flopper caught on a rock at the bottom - about 8m, which just happens to be about my current diving depth limit!  Well sure that the fish wasn't getting off the spear, and determined not to leave it behind I pulled out my knife, breathed up and headed down to get my fish and my spear.  As I am writing this storyit's obvious that I made it back up ok, if a little out of breath!  All in all a great dive for me saw heaps of massive red Moki glad to know the spearos up there are leaving them to live : and heaps of other fish, which i don't know the names of so didn't shoot them. - ).  Pic below is me with my first two snapper.  To put things into context, for those of you that have met me, you will know I stand 6'5" so fish look small in comparison but I'm happy to estimate the bigger of the two at over 5lbs :)  Not big fish but my first snappers so thought I'd share my excitement with you all :)

Also known as "Dory Rider"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kelpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 7:39pm
Kelpy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hit up ti point on friday to check out the vis for saturdays summer series comp. Ended up with the usual jds, ky, butterz etc. also added to the list was this boarfish.(5.5kg Pb)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 5:44pm
spearbean View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Probably not the biggest for some people but this is the second JD I have speared in a week on the west coast Wellington. Didnt have scales so no weight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kelpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 7:47pm
Kelpy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

17kg Kingy (p.b) from the chicks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 10:50pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

10kg Moki. Photos by the wonderful MJL.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smoo Diver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 6:44pm
Smoo Diver View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

22kg of Chatham Island Puka.
All thanks to Wild Blue and Floyd

I should really get around to shooting a Kingfish one of these days...
Page  <1 23456 22>