Update on crab pot plus crab pics.

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 8:49am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Raumatibeach Raumatibeach wrote:

Sooshee, chinese wine?Pardon my ignorance , can you tell me a bit more?

You can buy it at most Asian food stores.
Is cheap as, compared to normal grape wine
is great for Asian style cooking & also some
Western style such as stews/casseroles etc.

It is usually a darkish colour & solely intended as a
cooking wine, for you would need to be REALLY
desperate to want to drink any.

It should cost around $3 to $5 bottle depending
on the size bottle. The reason it is or was so cheap
is that despite containing rather high alcohol as it
was not intended to be drunk & most if not all the
alc. is driven off when used in cooking, it was not
being taxed.

There was a contoversy recently when the govt.
announced they intended to tax it due to the alc.
content but the above argument was vigorously
put forward & as far as I am aware it is still not
taxed. If it has been then it will probably have
doubled in price.

After all many liquids such as meths, cleaning agents,
medications etc. contain alc. but are not taxed because
of the fact. The problem probably arose due to it
being called "wine" & a simple name change to "Chinese
cooking sauce or similar, could resolve the issue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 7:20pm
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the info about rice wine, I'll pick some up and try it out.

Youngfisho, I bought some hoop nets at the Mana dive shop.They might have some if you're interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Youngfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 3:57pm
Youngfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Uh no its all right.I think im using hoop nets do they collapse when sunk and get big when pulled up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 4:05pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, they lay flat on the bottom.  If you add a small float where the bridle connects to the mainline, it stops tangles by holding the bridle up - not too big a float or you'll lift the outer hoop.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Youngfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 4:55pm
Youngfisherman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok that explains the float on the hoop net i bought thanks Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mark Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 9:54pm
Mark Edwards View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good topic this one, good photos too...I had some "waikanae crab" ravioli recently and I reckon its basically paddle or sand crab flashed up, tasted pretty good and inspired me to get a pot and give it a try, I understand the way to get the meat out is to cook them and then roll the meat out with a rolling pin...saw it on the guys from Logan Browns show once...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 9:57pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

and odds on you'll be bailing him up for a chat this weekend....!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ritchtheitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 2:51pm
Ritchtheitch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have two crab pots (pretty much like a cray pot, but I presume lacking escape holes) that I'd purchased a while back - but never used.   Anyone want to buy?  pm me an offer if so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Crab Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:52pm
The Crab Person View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ooh, I was looking to find some advice on crabs and this 15 year old thread is the only one I came across...hello? Youngfisherman are you still here, still looking for crabs? Is anybody still here at all? T.T 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 6:07am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We've never had a particularly active crab fishing following here CP
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Crab Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 7:45pm
The Crab Person View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Oww, I guess most people see them as a nuisance and use them as bait. I would agree crabs are somewhat of an acquired taste...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 8:57am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Love crab but so fiddly to get the little meat out of the paddle crab.  I get mine when dragging net for flounder off beaches. They are fished for commercially in NZ with a good operation in Nelson.

What advice are you after TCP?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 5:41pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

They are a nuisance to most of us I guess but I know that up here on the Manukau Harbour there is no shortage of them. They are all small though and in my 30 years here it has always been that way.. I do like the taste of them but ours are so small it just isn't worth the effort. At a guess I'd say the big ones would be 75mm, the average would probably be more like 50mm
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <12