Launches....the good the bad and the ugly.

Page  <1 567
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 2:48pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you normally suffer badly from a cross wind blowing you off your finger as you reverse in you can setup a long rope off the pole at the end of the finger so as you back in your crew grab that rope and walk forward along the boat towards the bow as you back into the berth. They can hold the nose up to the finger whilst you control the stern.  If you are on your own a lot you can run a long rope from stern to bow on your boat and clip the pole rope onto that when you get the stern in so that the pole rope runs forward along the long rope as you reverse in. Won't be easy to set up on every boat but will be OK on many.
Generally I find twin stern drives easier to control for newer boaters if you treat them like twin shafts and keep the drives pointing straight ahead. It is less confusing that way than worrying about twin engines, forward and reverse, plus which way the drives are pointing when things are getting tricky. More experienced guys will use the helm as well as the gears but when you are starting off I would stick with just using the gears with the drives pointing straight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:46pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best advice I had one day coming alongside a boat moored at the Whitianga wharf
battling a strong outgoing tide and cross wind.
A very experienced skipper shouted out, 
"Don you have got  a lot of horsepower that is not being used - USE IT!"
Most guys get into trouble berthing because they are not game to use all the available power of their engine. 
Watch a ferry or fishing boat coming alongside, they keep the rpm up, so when they move the boat it moves in the required direction.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 7:24am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been reading this thread with interest, even if it’s an older one, but any one out there have any knowledge on pelin libertys.... thinking of getting into a launch, this would be my first one, like the look of the liberty... got 11m one in mind..
Any thoughts on these boats would be appreciated...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:14am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A lot of home built Libertys and in a few different sizes I think, so checking the build quality would be a biggy. Reasonably popular hull and most of the Pelin designs work OK so would certainly consider one if looking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:50am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I wouldn't buy petrol.

A few reasons...Cost. My 8,5 glass Boat with a 200 Volvo has the same fuel cost to go to the garden patch for a fish as my mates 5.3 tinnie with a 90 4 stroke.. when we tested it a few years ago it was $80.00 each.

Availability. All fuel docks have diesel not all have petrol.

Safety.

Legs are fine if looked after which I do myself and it's pretty inexpensive. Not sure what happens if you have someone do the work but I trust myself and like to know how it all functions etc. Which one are you would be the question, do it yourself or pay?

In terms of costs a moored boat is getting more expensive to own with increased mooring charges and inspections etc. You don't need a trailer which saves some back but I have noticed costs going up incl hard stand. I have a haulout trailer and bring mine home each winter for a month or two which is sweet!

As things get busier the advantage of going down to the ramp and just needing a park for my truck and not a trailer and walking past all the carnage with my dingy is growing. Also I can fish alone at will in a big safe boat and sleep away when I like.

Try to stick to a single engine and get as small a boat as will work for your needs will keep costs down.

I always liked the boats Tagit suggested and would add the Genises profish to the mix but they don't come up often, that's my dream boat for N.Z in terms of cockpit, size, layout etc but I am not a flyingbridge fan so in the minority there...

If you look at every boat you can you will get some pretty good momentum so that when you eventually see the correct boat for your use it will just jump out at you and boom you will know the market etc and buy a boat with confidence.

I started out looking at larger launches and in the end went smaller and simpler and paid about $55k for a low hrs boat that I could bend to my will over time, which I have done.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 10:14am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sorry guys, I jotted down all that stuff and somehow didn't notice it was an old thread revived.
I have to back off on the painkillers I guess...………..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 11:19am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the replies already, not worried about old thread, the boat I’m looking at is 11m 220hp ford turbo diesel on shaft, built by Nelson boatbuilders...
I’m just asking about how they go in seaworthiness and what problems to look out for..
I have come to understand it’s going to be more cost than my trailer boat...
It’s just cheaper than buying a Bach...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 11:37am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I haven't run one in a sea so can't comment on that. A sea trial is the final stage of purchase so that will be your chance to test it. Given how popular that hull was I suspect it will be fine for normal use. Is it GOP or double diagonal?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:00pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dd glassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:28pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

DD glassed is a good construction if done well. Thing to check carefully is all around the deck fittings and joins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 5:00pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If it is the one on Trade Me for 79k, from the photos it looks like a lot of boat for the money.
Being a ford motor/shaft drive is good, the paintwork looks reasonable in the photos and personally I like the 2 cabin layout.
You absolutely MUST get an independent hull survey and a mechanical check done, your insurance will probably require it anyway but better to find out the problems before purchase and not buy some one else's problems.
If it suits your needs/budget and nothing critical comes up in the survey then it would be a good buy in my opinion, Ive owned a launch for 18 months so I am no expert but I certainly have learned a lot.

Cheers Brendon

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 5:40pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That’s the one, had a look thru it a few days ago and family thought it was pretty good, like the layout with the separate bunks too....
Can u shed some light on what u have learned Brendon?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 6:10pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a quick look at the TM advert too. First thing I would say is windows, windows, windows! Decent chance of finding leaks and rot around those windows if they haven't been maintained well. Cockpit is a bit small as some of these older boats tend to have. You spend a lot of time in the cockpit hanging out, BBQing, fishing etc. Upside is more interior space though. Those storage locker/side seats in the cockpit might be a PIAwhen you have a few people fishing.
Duckboard looks almost too small to be really useful and just big enough to be a pain when fishing. If I had that boat I would think about building a slightly larger duckboard and putting a railing around it so it is safe/comfortable to be on. That becomes the fishing space as well as a cockpit extension.
Depending on where you berth in Tauranga I could see a bow thruster becoming a potential addition. Single screw is fine, but in a big cross current it might be a challenge.
300l of water is not a lot if you want to go away for a few days with a few people. I would be hunting for space for more water.

Overall looks like pretty good value or even a bit cheap. Do all your checks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 6:50pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We made the big decision 18 months ago to step up from a trailer boat to a launch, mainly to do more family over-nighting as the trailer boat was not cutting it.
I remember reading this thread at the time and went out looking for a shaft drive boat and we ended up with a 1995 Riviera 33 twin cabin, we keep the boat at pine harbour and have used it almost every weekend for about 10 months of the year.
Riviera was actually above our budget, it was not an easy decision but in hindsight it was a good decision because it is a bulletproof boat and we trust it.
I started out doing 80% of the servicing myself and pay experts for the stuff i dont understand, but end up learning quickly from the consultation process so i will be close to 100% DIY by now.
A lot of what I say applies to older boats because simpler things age better and will be lower maintenance long term, anyway here is a random list
- Shaft drive is cheaper to maintain than Stern drive and having the motor/s under the cabin makes the for cosy nights in the winter months, having storage at the back under the cockpit at the transom is handy also.
- Older Volvo motors can be expensive to maintain and a lot of older kiwi boats have them with stern drives, if they are in top condition it sould be fine but something to be very careful about buying into.
- Check visibility from the flybridge helm many boats have poor rearwards vision which can be tricky for docking but cameras are available nowadays so its fixable
- Personally I wouldn't be without my Flybridge
- I have come across several guys who have spent around $70K on paint jobs so dont touch anything with bad paintwork or gelcoat full of stress cracks and think its an easy fix.
- 12M seems to be a sweet spot for marina berths, the cost seems to jump exponentially over 12M.
- Solid GRP is pretty bulletproof, blisters (osmosis) are common in older boats but not expensive to repair if they are just under the gelcoat, Cored Fibreglass is more likely to have structural issues than solid GRP.
- You dont need a gen set for a few nights to a week out but you will need a good house battery bank and a good understanding of how to manage the charging of them with alternators and or solar.
-Get a survey done before you buy no matter how nice the vendor or sales man is.
thats a start anyway
Cheers Brendon 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 7:05pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks so much for your replies guys....
It’s a big leap....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 11:56am
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We just use our boat like a weekend batch, when daylight savings kicks in we can get out after work on Friday evenings and anchored up in a bay well before dark, this sets you up for an awesome weekend away.
We have come across other launch owners who are struggling to use their boats because of other weekend commitments like kids sports etc, we also have friends who would love to come out with us but just cant get away for a couple of days because of other commitments.
We have only done 1 day trip since we have owned the boat, when we had trailer boats we always focused on fishing trips but since we have had the launch we just anchor up in a bay and take it from there and typically don't end up fishing much.
I think if your family are in a position to prioritise your weekends for boating then you will never regret the decision, thats our experience anyway.

Cheers Brendon

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote P-dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:21pm
P-dog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'd love to know costs of engine maintenance, like are volvos more expensive to maintain over another type?

When the time comes for me purchasing a launch, I'd do a diesel maintenance course. Has anyone done this and was it advantageous?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:49am
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi P-Dog 
Obviously a lot of variables depending on what you buy, how you use it and its history of maintenance, I can give you an indication of what we have spent over 4 yrs of ownership with twin Cummins 210hp
I mostly have done my own maintenance. 
I had strong mechanical background but very little diesel experience prior to purchasing this boat.
Routine maintenance items are fairly predictable and need to be completed every 1 or 2 yrs 

- Engine oil and filters
- Fuel Filters
- Belts 
- Anodes
- Hoses as required
- Heat exchanger maintenance 
- Raw water pump impellors 
- valve lash

This is would cost about $750 per engine per year in parts.

Then there is the less regular repairs that crop up that you have to have budget for when it happens.

- I decided to do the head gaskets on both our engines due to coolant seeping down the block externally (many people just leave them)  I did water pumps, thermostats etc while I was at it, this cost $3000 all up but it was a big DIY job that could have been double if someone else was doing it. 
- Just had a fuel issue and had to have the diesel tank cleaned, 1 injector pump replaced and all the injectors rebuilt (injectors overdue anyway) as well as a lift pump and a bunch of smaller stuff, I have been busy with work so had this done professionally and cost $9000 all up.
-Rebuilt the raw water pumps myself (bearings and seals) costing $750 all up in parts (double that for new pumps)
- I would like to replace all of the engine mounts but this will be another $3-4000, its a large DIY job for the future
- (edited after post) 2x exhaust elbows and 1x new turbo $6000

You can see that there is another (edited after post) $2000 per/engine per/year there so the total is about $2500-3000 per/engine year, the Cummins 6BT 210hp has a reputation for being one of the better engines for maintenance costs, we have done a total of 500hrs running in 4 years and the engines are certainly in better condition now than when we bought the boat. 

Also bear in mind that you have gear boxes or legs, propellers, anodes, trim tabs, washdown pumps, toilets, pumps and holding tanks etc, so the maintenance does add up so it makes a huge difference if you are able and willing to do the maintenance yourself.

I did not do a diesel course but I have learned a lot just doing it and finding the information as I needed it, if you engage and build a relationship with a marine engineer from the outset (starts with engineering surveys at purchase) this can be a great resource for you depending on your background knowledge.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Water Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 10:24am
Water Rat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi SaltyC

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for advice from some more experienced heads. My wife and I bought Legacy in late 2021 and were berthed just along the pier from you for a while. We moved to Gulf Harbour for logistical reasons, which was a bit sad because we really liked the neighbours. Cry

I'd really like to talk to other Corsair owners about their experiences and maybe even have a look at what modifications and improvements have been made. We haven't done too much to Legacy yet. We've had a bow-thruster installed and I've refitted most of the heavier electrical switching and cabling. I'll get to the smaller stuff when I can find a trained ferret to trace where all the electric string goes once it disappears behind the lining... Smile

One particular area of interest is the helm position. It's a bit embarrassing to be nearly 60 and to need a booster seat. I've raised the seating by 150mm and am about to move the wheel and totally rebuild the console when I get some extension hydraulic hoses made. It would be great to see what anyone else has done in this area.

We're really loving the boat, although it's been interesting getting used to a single stern drive after a lifetime of twin straight shafts and biiiig rudders. We just managed a few days away, dodging logs in the gulf. We had hoped for a couple of weeks, but the weather put paid to that.

I know this forum is fishing focussed - can you suggest any fora that might be a better place for talking Corsairs?

I'd keen to hear from you.

Cheers,
Tony "Water Rat" P

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 10:25pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PM sent Tony
Page  <1 567