Launches....the good the bad and the ugly.

Page  123 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote righthook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Launches....the good the bad and the ugly.
    Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 9:23pm
righthook View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey guys after some info,  seriously considering selling my trailer boat and getting a small launch 32ft ish budget really about 100k max, tempted to get a small runaround use the launch for game fishing and a floating holiday home weekend pad throughout the year and keep it local on a swing mooring for mates and family etc, I dont want anything flash but useable and comfy.. I really like the look of the bayliner flybridge type boats http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=152049283  you can them up sub 100k, they look nice from what ive seen on the net etc, seem a lot of boat for the money......but i know nothing about this type of boating so they may be rubbish...going to have a look at one this weekend  So to all you guys out there what should I know look for and avoid,  is shaft better than stern legs are these to be avoided at all costs? heard horror stories about spending 3 k a year on servicing the leg etc,  duoprops etc what are they and why?  Will it cost a small fortune to own a launch.....or is it just lack of use that causes a lot of the problems?  What should I be looking for,  is diesel better or cheaper than petrol engines....really?  Why are a lot of these boats twin motor?  will they actually cost a lot to own if you do most of the work yourself?
Launch owners experienced boaties please give us your opinion.......also when I go to look at boats what questions should I be asking, what should I be looking at and for?
cheers in advanceThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 9:00am
Wizard View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Speek to Blue Asparagus, he has had 2 in the time Iv'e known him and he's over hauled both.  Big boat fishing on a budget would be his forte I would imagine.  Good bugger to boot.  Dan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote righthook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 10:07am
righthook View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cheers Dan.......well  Asparagus got any advice mate?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 12:21pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks alright for what your wanting it for, just need some riggers and you will be away mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 12:33pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bayliners are cheap for a reason and its not a good one
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 12:43pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Immmmm big Petrol toooooo :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 4:14pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brother in law is a boat builder and when I went looking he strongly advised against stern drives. He's also not a fan of Bayliners to put it mildly.

I would think that a petrol boat of this size will suffer from fuel costs and poor resale value.

Personally for the sort of dough you're talking about, I'd probably be looking for a tidy Vindex or similar with a solid diesel on a shaft. Might not be the flashest or the fastest but it would be a solid well proven boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jemry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 4:21pm
Jemry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was told the other day that quite a high percentage of coastguards callouts in the gulf are to bayliners. Worth thinking about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doncod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 4:30pm
doncod View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

the amount of bayliners that come in out of japan too where you dont know what the history is. if you look on the auction sites you can see where they have spray painted the engines and not to cover rust by the over spray on everything aroundthe engine. they are very cheap but the decor is something else
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote righthook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 4:59pm
righthook View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cheers guys, whats so bad about the bayliners in particular??,  I've seen another with a diesel too a mercruser/cummins. Like I said I know nothing on this subject,  the boat i linked above looks a good shape, solid glass etc,  is it the old mercury yamaha outboard argument or are they just ****e and for what reasons? you guys got any ideas what would be a good boat and motor combination,  would like something that will do more than 10knots tho Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 6:51pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

quite a functional layout to the bayliner. Trouble is and i say this without any knowledge of that particular,  just bayliners, and is that they do have issues with the 'moving parts', fridges, waste pumps etc etc..

i did a bit of mucking about on the 2885...found it rolly when manovuering..trun a corner and the boat rolls more than i expected...gues the flip side is it may cut thru the water nicer..Geek

the motor is carbi..you will need to well planned maintenece programme, the big block is certainly a good block, im told, i hate mercs of all shapes and sizes  - i have only seen one 7.4l pulled apart and it was a import and it had 2 different size pistons - a througher mechanical inspection is essential. its the bits and bobs that have issues. Check your riser gaskets, they are due to let go..its done 350hrs over 12 years..thats 29hrs a year..thats a whole bunch of sitting in a salt water environment doing diddly squat.

another thing is that the 2885 had all its wiring at the back of the motor, including the battery charger and viatal components. In my opnion having any wiring in the 'splash zone' is not desirable. If its like that in this one then make sure you have an extremely good look.

at the end of the day, its like all things, comprimise.

will have a hunt for you

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 7:15pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote righthook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 7:15pm
righthook View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cheers for that Tobez,  sounds like it might be better to buy a cheaper boat and spend the money on a rebuild as the history can be a bit iffy?  What do you think of stern legs trouble or not?

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote righthook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 7:22pm
righthook View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi Tobez......put my reply on before your reply was on this end Confused, thanks for that, they both look like good boats especially the Taupo one hours wise and with the 25hp for game fishingThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 7:26pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

legs certainlly have their place, less resistance and more speed - higher maintenece is the downside, but they mean in a boat that size your living space is not taken up by big motor and it will be more pleasent for passengers not lisening to a hory great motor..again its comprimise, if you know that its going to cost you 4k a year or more then you can budget for it and it wont be a surprise...
if you wanna go thru a repower then dont stuff about get a yamaha 315!!Clap you know what your buying then
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote righthook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 7:31pm
righthook View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

is that a realistic figure 4k a year on the leg.....or are you just trying to scare meCry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 7:41pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not trying to scare you at all..its better to over budget than under - be mindful that your leg is submerged in saltwater - and taking on an asset, such as a boat and motor and they need maintenence in return you get pleasure. The old saying by grumpy old men - boats are things you throw money at!...they forget that the good times they give over time are priceless. A launch will always be more expensive to run than a trailer boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 8:36pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That Markline 850 looks like a good possibility. The engine and leg alone is worth around $40k. Just make sure that it is a Bravo 3X drive and not the standard Bravo 3. The X series drives are the ones toughened for the extra torque of the diesel.
Another 32ft boat that will get close to your budget and would be worth looking at is the GulfStream 3200. A Kiwi built boat from the 1990's with good accomodation and fishing room. They are mostly powered with diesels and cruise around 20 - 24knts typically burning around 25l per hour of diesel.
In the bigger picture of your search I would suggest ignoring the petrol inboard boats (resale, danger, fuel cost etc). At this size you are almost certain to be looking at a sternleg boat unless you go for an older design. Sternlegs do need more maintenance than a shaft, but if you do the maintenance regularly and on time, they can be a perfectly acceptable option. I would always choose shaft over sternleg in an apples for apples comparision, but in a ~30ft boat there is no doubt that a Sternleg fitout will give you a better and more useable layout to the boat plus usually better performance. For the difference between a shaft drive and sternleg boat I would suggest budgeting around $1500 per annum for extra maintenance, but you need to be prepared for a possible bigger number of you let the maintenance slip. For best results I would haulout a sternleg boat every 6 months (clean and oil change), but a shaft drive boat is probably fine for 12 months between haulouts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote righthook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 10:16pm
righthook View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks tobez, tagit Thumbs%20Up I believe a haul out isnt that expensive up here,  is servicing a sternleg pretty straight forward could you do it yourself ok or is it a special tools sort of thing?  or would I be better off getting something bigger and older with shafts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MO8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 10:48pm
MO8 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

For my two cents worth, I like stern legs, but then my boat, a small launch,is on a trailer.  For something in the water all the time, particularly on a swing mooring, go for a shaft drive.On a mooring you have a lot of water movement past the boat which tends to create a more marine growth. On a stern leg, this  growth, i.e.shell fish around the the drive boot.Unless this is cleaned off regularly, any small movement can and does cause small holes in the boot which allows water ingress causing corrosion then expensive repairs.On a launch, diesel is the only way to go. With size you don't have to go everywhere at 20 plus knots, just plan to be at sea longer.
Page  123 7>