Where to start in Tauranga?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 10lbseabass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to start in Tauranga?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 8:37pm
10lbseabass View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well, after seemingly endless months of paperwork and medicals the 10lbseabass family are finally NZ residents and booked on flights to Tauranga next week! I am hoping that there is a bit of fishing I can get started on at this time of year and wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of a couple of the more well known shore venues in the area? Any assistance very gladly received.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2008 at 10:40pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi 10lb
Glad to see you are going to make it at just the right time too with winter coming to an end (maybe,its damn cold tonight)
The Wairoa river will be a good place to start with the whitebait runs iminent the kahawai will not be far away.
I will pm you my contact details, give me a ring once you are sorted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nikolaj Mathiesen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 10:48am
Nikolaj Mathiesen View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey 10lb

Ted and i will be happy to introduce you to some local fish once you have settled in

Nik
www.bigangryfish.co.nz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2008 at 3:04pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey 10lb, good intro into saltwater flyfishing in the area would be to book a charter with Saltflyer. Local guy with plenty of knowledge about the area.

www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 10lbseabass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 3:50am
10lbseabass View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks lads, offers much appreciated!    

Are my 7wt and 9wt outfits going to be big enough guns for the shore fishing? I have floating and intermediate lines for both of these, should I be investing in sinking lines as well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2008 at 10:02pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They will be ok for a start sinking lines are useful if you can get to deeper chanels or if fishing off a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwiandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 9:17pm
kiwiandy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Ted, Have Nik show you the BIG mullet fly I made for him...
Cheers,
Andy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nikolaj Mathiesen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 8:35am
Nikolaj Mathiesen View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Andy. The big mullet will have its debut in a few weeks time. Got a feeling a big king will eat it........
www.bigangryfish.co.nz