Did It

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did It
    Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 6:03pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Finally did it. Ten kilo snapper on ten weight rod plus 25 lb tippet off the rocks. Also caught a five kilo fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 6:05pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A story like that deserves a much more detailed post Mr WWink GET Busy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 6:17pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent work Craig!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 6:26pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that's one fine fine achievement there craig...
awesome stuff, great photo as well...

did you release it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 7:07pm
Mudfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Congratulations Craig, what a fish. Waiting to hear all about it.
There's more to fishing than catching fish - but catching fish is a big part of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the snapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 8:02pm
the snapper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fantastic achievement, has to be one of the all time great NZ captures...... serious fishing!
Which mag are we going to have to get?
I'm in the UK at the moment annoying pike with Clark's Fat Boys.
Well done Craig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 8:13pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well done Craig, that's way up there with the best of the bestThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 8:19pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Farking well done that man Thumbs%20Up

Yup totally agree, get writing please ApproveThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 8:22pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice foto ....i likes.. well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 8:49pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks everyone. We kept this one. A little bit of panic after pulling it back from its two hundred metre run across two kelp coated bombies. So the gaff went in. Released the next one (which looked almost as big in the pics but we called it five to six kilos). Josh didn't even stop fishing when I hooked it - he was that pessimistic about me landing it.
Fish was hooked on a blind drift with the FBI fly down deep. I had just teased a big fish with my huge rooster fly and lost a massive kahawai (that looked all of six kilos) as well as ripping the hook on something else very big (I called it four a good trevally Josh reckoned a big snapper). Everything went quiet after that so I picked up the smaller fly and rod and tried a deeper drift slightly further down the rocks.
Hook up was like snagging a moving rock. Just heaps of unstoppable weight that turned into a howling screaming run straight out to sea. The drag was set fairly light and I lost a lot of backing. There was no point putting pressure on until it stopped because there were rocks and kelp between me and the fish. It just went and went.
When it slowed I retrieved as hard as I could with as much pressure as possible. There was a couple of worrying moments with the fish down in the kelp. And the fish powered down a few more times when I finally started to get colour. Some very anxious moments followed. Luckily the hook held and the fish didn't manage to crush it or bite the leader. Finally got it. Very stoked Thumbs%20Up. But it would have been more sensible to hook it on the twelve weight!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 9:18pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You son of a BI*TCH! That's an awesome capture Craig!!! Probably the most meritorious fly rod capture from the land in recent years that I have heard of.

Certainly a fish of a lifetime and one to be supremely proud of.

Heartiest Congratulations!!!ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 10:02pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great work Craig
I'm sure you've worked hard for that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 10:12pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Thinking about it a bit more, "Did it" was pobably the under-statement of the year on F.net
10kg's on a fly rod, off the rocks is massive.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 10:17pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Words fail me- I think I'll just keep staring at that picture!

Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2008 at 10:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wicked as! Is that a record fish on fly?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 6:14am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks everyone. Clark, I'm gonna tell my mother what you called her LOLLOLLOL

That fish has been the culmination of a lot of things. It's all been about finding out how to feed a fly to them off the rocks and then how to stop them.

I would not recommend anyone using a ten weight on these fish. That was a little accidental after switching into trevally mode.

As for records - I don't think anyone has kept any sort of archive of big SWF captures in NZ. Only those weighed under IGFA rules at game clubs are in the books. Certainly no rock category recorded for SWF anywhere. Maybe somebody should start?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 6:36am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

congrats Craig...that is awesome!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nikolaj Mathiesen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 7:22am
Nikolaj Mathiesen View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fantastic work Craig, very well done.......

I agree totally. A fish caught of the bricks is a massive achievement, there should be a record to get for those fish.
This is the fish of the year!
www.bigangryfish.co.nz

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 7:50am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wicked shet!!...thats soo coool..well done
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 8:29am
neil c View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Top effort Craig, that's a brilliant capture and just reward for the effort that goes into getting this kind of result Clap

Neil Smile

Page  123 4>