Kayakfishing hall of fame.

Page  <1234 17>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wondaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2008 at 4:49pm
wondaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ahhhhhh..  I remember those days Naki man....... 
10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish.

Dam that 10%.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wondaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 8:12pm
wondaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ok,  This is my only claim to fame  (apart from doing the 'Turtle'...)

Mako Shark est. 60-70kg caught on livebait Albacore Tuna

Dam that 10%.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 8:26pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

your lucky to still have your leg wondaboy ...makos are very unpredictable
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MartyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 10:43am
MartyB View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That is way too close to your leg. Well done though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnny_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 3:52pm
johnny_A View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wow - that's a wicked shot - I originally thought you'd photo-shopped your avatar picture.  Must have been an exciting time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wondaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 4:27pm
wondaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Naki man and I were both shattered that it was indeed a Mako shark and not a MarlinCry

Marty B,  close is when its sitting in your lap.......  it was by far they most boring mako Ive ever caught,  one good run and no jumpsDead

Dam that 10%.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 6:05pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There was the odd bit of excitement

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 8:30pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bugger Makos from a yak - had two pups (as in ±30-40kg)go skywards at around 10m distance, that was too close to landing on me.

Nice fish though Thumbs%20Up
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 8:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

Naki, I'd be interested to hear your technique for the tuna...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 8:47pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

HLD Generally we just troll a couple of lures. We seem to have luck with a small pink lure, however purple/black and green/yellow work as well.
Keep an ear to the VHF and listen where the boats are catching them - can save a bit of paddling. Like any game fish, keep the line over the bow. If you've had to tighten up the drag, loosen it off when you get them close to the yak.
Then if you want some real fun, put a big hook in it and throw it back over the sideLOL

NM
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 9:00pm
Titanium
Titanium

I was hoping you weren't going to say that and were going to tell me a nice easy way LOL. I generally also use a pink squid which works well but haven't had more than one skippy per trip yet... Roll on summer and the blue water Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 10:38am
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This would be one of my best yak dives and definitely worthy of a skite.  About 20 pounds, from near Opito. With a handspear whilst freediving.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 12:48pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice work Naki men and Snapper Whisperer, some quality shots there. Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 9:45pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish Snapper Whisperer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 6:34pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

26lb, 8lb line, 1/0 hook... yeah I know its old (2004) but

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 6:46pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very nice fish there Nodrog

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 8:09pm
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Funny Nodrog I was looking through a old fishing mag the other day and there was a photo of you holding that fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 8:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

Haven't got many pics of fish as I've usually filleted them before I remember the cameraLOL
 These have been up before, but since we've got a specific thread for them now:

And when it's too rough to go to sea...smallest hen was 18"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 8:47pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice catch HLD

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 8:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks NM, but I'd rather have tuna on board anyday LOL
Page  <1234 17>