Anyone get out today??

Page  <1 445446447448449 451>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 11:53am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by sassy_nz sassy_nz wrote:

New member & first post Smile 

45cm snapper which was nice an fat yum yum in the chilli bin... fishing got better till high tide we caught another 45cm and two 35cm which all went in the chilli bin LOLLOL. missus caught the two smaller ones and I did the hard yards with the bigger ones haha. the gear were using is an Auratus Pro 4-7kg with Sienna 4000FE (mine) & the missus is a Ocean Rose 4-7kg with the same reel both with 8lb braid. Amazing light gear for both of us newbies which is fun on a good fight like we had today.
Tight lines everyone !

Welcome to the forums Sassy. Some great fish from there, well done.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:56am
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Managed to get out for a stray lining session of the bricks yesterday. There was a hot bite as soon as we got there. Lasted about an hour before dying down. Managed to stock up on pannie snapper in that time though 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:43pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one mate, especially good in those bright sunny conditions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 2:08pm
the gas man View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice haul ,
I am hangin out for some landbased fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chad51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 4:53pm
Chad51 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Nice one mate, especially good in those bright sunny conditions

Yes mate...was surprising. We were on the lash the night before so got to the spot about 4 hours later than planned.

Just when you think you've got fishing sussed....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:43pm
Gold
Gold

A long while since I have casted a few baits off the rocks. Was keen for a dusk mission on Saturday night, but the rain and epic Warriors game stuffed that up... Plan B, dawn mission Sunday. First baits in around 6:50am. Fish on the chew straight away and first snap going 32cm was put in the rock pool. Lots of little snaps hammering the pillies and squid. Was trying 6/0 Octopus Circle hooks on 1 rig and was disappointed about the amount of gut hooks. Decided to fish only 1 rod to avoid any more damage. Berley started to work and got a good run. Fish on in the shallows and landed a respectable snaps for dinner. Snapper continued to bite but nothing more of size, although I had one string puller on that I made a meal of   

Home by 9:15am, fun session
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:07am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish mate, is that up on the coast? I think I recognise the spot...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:44am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Nope!

Nice fish mate. Got yaself a good rangi champ right there!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:47am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Nope!

Nice fish mate. Got yaself a good rangi champ right there!

That's the problem with bloody volcanoes, they look the same no matter where you view them from!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote the gas man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 2:34pm
Gold
Gold

Hahaha, rangi is deceptive

Thought I'd head out for a rockfish yesterday around 3:30, but had my tide chart app on my phone still set on Dunedin tides !!(was south over Easter). Anyhoo, fortunately found out low tide was actually 7pm in AKL before I set out to me low water spot.

Got there around 5:45 and the spot I usually fish was still submerged, so found another ledge that had a little more rock and little less water.

First 3 baits produced 3 snapper, not bad but not quite the size I was after. Only had half a bag of pillies and 2 fillets of Kahawhai. Pillies were getting hammered. Finally hooked something with a bit of pull. A nice panny landed and put in the sack.

Carried on fishing into the dark and used the kahawhai fillets. Bites continued but the bigger hits were few and far between. Picked up a slightly better fish just after low tide; two in the bin.

Packed up around 7:30pm. Mint conditions, and all good with daylight savings meaning not too late home.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 8:38pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one. Good to see a feed of snapper is readily available if you know what you are doing.
here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smellyfingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 9:32am
smellyfingers View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

With a break in the weather yesterday arvo I checked the tide, high 5:45pm, so I thought why not wet a line before the weekend turns to custard.

Lots of action over a 2 hour period and with a feed for the family I turned in before it got too dark.

Some other photos below of a recent outing in Tairua when cyclone Hola blew through. Fished the bottom of Paku Hill in to the channel and hunkered behind a big flax bush for protection, results below.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Brenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:03am
Brenick View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a good weekend up in the sounds with a few cod and horse Kahiwai landed off the rocks. Disappointment though as I lost 2 kings on my new Daiwa bg5000's maiden outing. One smoked me through the rocks just as I thought I was getting it under control and the other (guestimate about 25lb) pulled the hooks after a brief battle. Awesome hook up as it had 3 goes at the piper before it smashed it. No photos unfortunately.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:08pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the gas man the gas man wrote:

A long while since I have casted a few baits off the rocks. 

Nice one gas man, I know what you mean by a long while, my illness has kept me bed bound for 9 months. Dont remember my last fish, life turned fishing off so havnt even been keeping up with the forum.

Those are nice kelpies and the bloke above. Real deep gnarly brown gingers, the best colour for any snap from the bricks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:16pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah it is a fin nor bait teaser. I needed a grunty bait runner for slow trolling livies off the kayak but could not afford a thunnus. This has 16kg of drag and holds 300m of 50lb braid. Came with a 7 foot stray lining rod rated 8-15kg which is what I used to land this fish, but I will be using it on my Daiwa monstermesh 632 pe 1-3 rod on the kayak. The monstermesh has landed kings to 24kg so it should be all good.

Im looking for something similar, just asked the guys about the Okuma Metaloid 5 and Nano Matrix Softbait Combo 7ft 8-10kg. Supposedly casts well, high gear ratio for jigs, good for large softbaits, but had a level drag for the straylining. about $500 together. Depends how a person is with overheads, but looks a good value piece of kit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote charliedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:50pm
charliedog View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Took a walk down too a local bch this arvo been a while since last there poor shore line suffered from last storms was unable too fish normal spot as a large tree had taken up residence there so moved along 40mtrs only took hand full of baits (bugger) as bite was hot landed 4nice pannies(37-40cm)releasing all then bait ran out. Waved good bye then back up hill and hm, next trip will have more bait for sure. Will take grandson next time he will love as it still holds some nice weighted fish.
i thought i could i think i can OH SH*T OH DEAR
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 11:29am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by charliedoghot landed 4nice pannies(37-40cm) [/QUOTE charliedoghot landed 4nice pannies(37-40cm) [/QUOTE wrote:

Whats it like living there? Ive always drea

Whats it like living there? Ive always dreamed the Mrs will get a scientific posting for some exotic lizard or frog (anything but komodo dragons and id be ok as i help her some times).

Somewhere like Chatham islands would be nice (but windy and cold).

I bet its a bit more tropical where you are at.

What are the locals like to deal with, is it friendly or do you get a lot of coup type aggro and pirate crap to put up with?

I imagine there be a lot of tiger sharks around that area too?

As a spearo I have more fear of tiger sharks than I do of white points. Although I have more fear of Bull sharks in Aus than I do of 20ft Makos in NZ. Makos are just magestic to watch and interact with when they smaller, although always keep them front on and spear facing them, where sharks like bronze whalers are very non interactive and are the hoovers of the ocean floor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Juggsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:15pm
Juggsy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Made the tough trek out to a famous point just out of Auckland next to a marine reserve.

10 seconds after putting the first line in we started catching 1-1.5kg kahawai. With four pulled in after about 5min, I decided to take a fillet off and stray line a large strip bait.

30sec after it hit the water I had a PB snapper on, that measured just over 6kg by the time we got it home. Not too long after my mate caught his first ever snapper which came in at just under 5kg

We put four other snapper in the bin between 32 and 45cm before making the tough climb back out.

For only my second real go off the bricks in NZ I was stoked. Am paying for it today though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 7:25am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well done. It is a good walk out there but usually worth the efforts.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:33am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Juggsy Juggsy wrote:

Made the tough trek out to a famous point just out of Auckland next to a marine reserve.

10 seconds after putting the first line in we started catching 1-1.5kg kahawai. With four pulled in after about 5min, I decided to take a fillet off and stray line a large strip bait.

30sec after it hit the water I had a PB snapper on, that measured just over 6kg by the time we got it home. Not too long after my mate caught his first ever snapper which came in at just under 5kg

We put four other snapper in the bin between 32 and 45cm before making the tough climb back out.

For only my second real go off the bricks in NZ I was stoked. Am paying for it today though.

NICE ONE !

how did you get down the cliff? can be a bit dicey now days, especially in the wet. but i havnt been for a while so dont know if anyones done anything to aid.

there are lots of spots on the south side if you have a boat or kayak that fish just as well, and is definitely the best place to be in Auck with a northerly blowing.
Page  <1 445446447448449 451>